UT2007 Demo Footage at IGN/Gamespy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
You can get the other one high- res in QT format from the download link in the popup window it plays in.

And yeah, thanks for the link funkblast, much obliged. :)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
RaptoR = wrong on this one IMO

RaptoR said:
Looks more like conquest to me...

Looks a hell of a lot like Assault to me. Sequential objectives, the map seemed to be "on rails" towards the final objective, cutscene at the end. It's Assault, simple as that.

Chances are that Epic created the map and environment especially (or recycled/altered another map currently in the works). It doesn't look anything like what Conquest is meant to be. It is is what Conquest is meant to be, then it's just 2 team Assault judging from that demo.

Last edited:

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Selerox said:
Looks a hell of a lot like Assault to me. Sequential objectives, the map seemed to be "on rails" towards the final objective, cutscene at the end. It's Assault, simple as that.

Chances are that Epic created the map and environment especially (or recycled/altered another map currently in the works). It doesn't look anything like what Conquest is meant to be. It is is what Conquest is meant to be, then it's just 2 team Assault judging from that demo.

Conquest is described as scalable, so part of it involves completing assault-like objectives like the ones in the video.

Sir_Brizz said:
The weapons really aren't likely to be final. Those are UC2 models.

Yup, if the models aren't work-in-progress the effects certainly are... the shock combo in particular is just a cobbled-together mess of various 2k4 particles atm, with no UC2-style realtime post-render distortion stuff.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
:con:

Yeah, I noticed the dodges this time. Much more "realistic". Should put a lot of weapon balance changes in good directions. Rockets will prolly slow, as well as beam rof, and various other things. They prolly only showed 2 of the weapons being used for that reason. Much tweaking to be done there.

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
Sir_Brizz said:
Discord: yes.

Well... I guess I should clarify. It's technically possible to make a boatload of accessible buildings with detailed interiors in UE2/ 2.5, but it's a lot more difficult to pull that off and maintain decent framerates than it was in UE1, mainly due to the BSP not occluding anymore. The detailed urban environment was the one place where UE2 was outperformed by its predecessor IMO.

So I guess what I'm really asking is, would it be practical to make all of those buildings accessible? I sure hope so...

Well anyway, I didn't mean to jack the thread over this... it's mostly a modder's issue.

So... the Scorpion's primary weapon. Webprojectile or not? :D

Vault

May 29, 2005
looks like "fireworks blob" to me..... kinda like Halo's Banshee alt fire

leafo

spoiled toothpaste
Mar 29, 2005
Looks nice.
The guy shooting the bio rifle at the wall and not moving was a little strange, and the folliage looked like flat planes attached, what happened to that speedtree thing or whatever that they were using? The scorp blades really are glowing, its not just the brigness and light bloom effects. The player animations still dont really point at where they are aiming, the guy with the shock rifle was bouncing around and his primary fires were going off at odd angles. I also wish they would remove those cheesey yellow trails from the flak, and just make it giant glowing chunks like the first UT. They could even use some pizel shader effect to make some sort of heat distortion effect that could make a cool trail.

Still, looks excellent but and I cant wait for a final product.

Vedanth Salian

Apr 4, 2005
My go on the video is-

a) Remove the long disturbing Flak Trails

b) Give us optional UT2004 & UT2007 weapon models (So that players who loved Ut2004 style models are not dissapointed)

c) Make the scorpions height equal to the players height (The Scorpion just looks like a small buggy that is half the height of the players height. From the early screenshots I thought it would be equal to height of the player.When its big it really feels like driving a real car. for example look at Half Life 2 hollow jeep or Halo 2 warthog. When you get into it, it really feels like your entering a car).

d) Keep the Shock Rifle & its efects (Just awesome)

e) Keep Awesome Manta & Goliath design and effects (awesome)

f) Give slightly Bigger & Fatter models or Armours

Thats it Great job Epic.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Vedanth Salian said:
f) Give slightly Bigger & Fatter models or Armours
lol im not too sure about that ^. A lot of the people (not my opinion)think they are huge already, they want them to be a lot smaller.
So i think they are fine atm:)

Steyr

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 1, 2005
On the internets
I have to say I am incredibly disappointed with the explosions. The big gas explosion at the end was ok, but all the others(including rocket explosions) just plain SUCKED. I think the main reason is because they just don't stick around. The explosions they're using are firey ones, as opposed to debris and dirt ones, and it is therefore vital for realism that they leave behind at least a few lingering flames. It is even more vital that the explosion have lighting effects, and it seems only the end one does. Oh, and lighting effects on all weapons would be nice too.

Sorry to everyone, as a pyromaniac I just had to say that. In other news, I love the map. It looks sweet, and probably looks 100x sweeter when it's not subjected to s**tty video compression. I have to say that unfortunately I think in a fast paced game like UT alot of the graphics seem wasted (not enough time to stop and smell the flowers), and I think it would be really nice to let the players walk around a bit at the end of a match just to take it all in. If you don't understand how I can be crazy enough to suggest this, take a look at my other post.

I really hope one of epic's forum lurkers sees this, and passes it on. Oh, and before anyone flames me, keep in mind that I'm gonna be pre-ordering my copy of UT2007 and upgrading my computer just so I can play it in all it's grandeur. Keep up the good work, Epic!

Vault

May 29, 2005
i think the height of the scorpian is fine..... after all it IS a buggy, Epic said so. Besides, i hate the hollow jeep, and the Warthog. And really, who here has a car that is their height? i dont (trucks, vans, and such dont count)

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I prefared the random explosion effects that were all different colours that were in UT compared to the orangy firey ones in that video. Don't mind the vehicles once they feel like vehicles instead of floating static meshes. They seemed to have changed the playerscale which is good!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't understand why people are complaining about game features already. They have OVER A YEAR still to work on the game. Do you think that they are not going to change anything over that course?

I think the biggest thing they are trying to show off here is that, YES, they have worked on the movement system, and LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS.

I'll complain about stuff in the game in 6 months. It's pointless now, considering that precious little in terms of art is FINAL.