Anyone Use X-Fire?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
<= iamfearless if you want to add me. It's a great program indeed and our clan has just adopted it.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
haven't used it in several months, but i guess i can start using it more often again.

mine = ignt

added yall's, and majorleehigh's is majorleehigh (hope ya don't care if i post for you :))

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I'll d/l, but since it's free and goes out on the net and searches for information (buddies) what else is it doing? spying? buttloads of cookies? what?

nothing is free, except Mozilla Firefox and AdAware :p

Angerfist

left a small crater
Feb 22, 2004
the Netherlands
yah but franky i don't actually care, spy as u like, i got nothing to hide

btw someone stole my nick again, as usual

it's 0angerfist0 now

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:
I'll d/l, but since it's free and goes out on the net and searches for information (buddies) what else is it doing? spying? buttloads of cookies? what?

Think AOL's or MSN's Instant messenger, but this one is for gamers. The "free" is paid for by advertisments.

Since we (you know who I'm talking about) don't use mIRC like we used to, this would be a great tool to not only see your friends online, but see what they're playing and join them.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
i'm very wary of spyware and "free" myself, but XFire is incredible. It even tells you if a buddy is using TS or Ventrillo and gives you the IP for that, and a "Join" button.

<--- Skold

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
I also think it's brilliant (rhiridflaidd is my x fire nick.) It gives the makers the potential to directly target it's ads depending on which game you are playing, but the banner ads aren't obtrusive, so I don't worry about them.

If you are woried about privacy, you can block your online statistics e.g. how many hours you've been playing.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:

BTW Han, I had the same concerns. I ran XFire all weekend, but I also had SpySweeper running in the background, and it never picked up anything. Last night I ran Spybot Search and Destroy AND Adaware, and neither of those found anything either.

So far with my usage it appears to be safe. My understanding is that XFire isn't something new. Players have been using it for a while.

And to let you know how effective this tool is - Brizz sent me an Instant Message through XFire. "Up for a game?" "Sure!" Brizz jumped on a server. XFire told me what game he was playing (UT2k4) and exactly what server he was on. All I had to do was click on one button. UT2k4 launched and put me directly in that server.

I didn't have to start the game, go the server menu, refresh my buddy list......none of that! I just clicked and joined him.

Last edited: