Want To Start Modding

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pheonix2468

Jul 8, 2004
Help I want to Start Modding But i dont know how to script in vc++ could anyone get me started maybe a tutorial plz?

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Hmm.
The unreal engine doesn't use C++ for it's scripting.
Unless you're using the native headers.

Also the Unreal Engine Runtime is probrably a poor choice to start modding in, since there's no game to mod. UT2004 would be a better choice if you are just starting modding.

Spike Spiegel

Jan 23, 2005
I am also considering developing with Unreal. I have heard that UnrealScript's Object Orientated environment is similar to Java. Would a "Java for Dummies" refrence help, as I'm not experienced in Java?

sniper_521

Jan 30, 2005
is runtime just perform a level ? can i use it to make a new game with own story ------ except a fps game ?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
NO, the runtime CANNOT be used to develop games for free. It is specific directly in the EULA. The exact reason why the runtime exists is for educational purposes for those who wish to learn how to use UEngine without having to purchase either the engine itself or games that use the engine.

Technically, you can make a game with it, but then you are breaching the EULA and will stop Epic from doing things like this again.

If you want to make a mod use a pre-existing game like UT2004.

sniper_521

Jan 30, 2005
thanks sas solid snake.
you are right, and i mean that just in Technically. in other word, i never want to use the runtime make game for commerce. but if i make a gratis game,and i put it on the net,do i breach the eula.whatever,the most important thing is runtime has the function to make game.right?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Yes. You are not allowed to make games with the UE2Runtime. There is no debate here, let us think of the reason why.

If free games were allowed to be made, then you will have large numbers of games being released from all sorts of people. First, with these huge numbers of games, Epic loose money when they could have been selling the engine. Second, they are giving the engine for free. If you wish to develop your own standalone game then you should (you have to be a company) buy the engine.

The point of the runtime is to be able to learn how to use Unreal Engine, how to map, how to script those things without having to buy an Unreal game.

If you have any more questions, ask Epic themselves.

oneirotekt

Aug 24, 2003
[SAS]Solid Snake said:
Yes. You are not allowed to make games with the UE2Runtime. There is no debate here, let us think of the reason why.

If free games were allowed to be made, then you will have large numbers of games being released from all sorts of people. First, with these huge numbers of games, Epic loose money when they could have been selling the engine. Second, they are giving the engine for free. If you wish to develop your own standalone game then you should (you have to be a company) buy the engine.

Yep, id Software released Enemy Territory for free, and there have been a grand total of 2 games released based on that. Last I heard John Carmack had to sell off his Ferraris and is eating out of soup cans under the railroad tracks.

Also the Unreal Engine Runtime is probrably a poor choice to start modding in, since there's no game to mod. UT2004 would be a better choice if you are just starting modding.

Much, much better that we have something free, but crippled in ways that makes it unsuitable for almost everyone who'd be interested in it.