More Advanced Sugar-Powered Batteries Developed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site

rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Imagine how much supercharged power they could get if they converted that setup to use cocaine.

#stupidhumanideas

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Read comments below article. Its either sloppy article with wrong numbers or yet another hoax. Sugar batteries can have big capacity but they cannot produce enough current, unless those "Scientists" are 40 times better than nature best ways. At least its what I read from comments there.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The energy density is much higher than it has been in the past for preceding sugar batteries, however. It's a step in the right direction, but I'm certain that they need to do a lot of improvements to the cells to match li-ion batteries energy output. The storage capacity is 10x higher than your average li-ion battery, though.

The article is about improvements to density, not output, so they're not incorrect about the energy-dense batteries.

It's not a hoax.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
And i had a dream about sugar powered cars. However this whole process (if you count in growing crops, producing sugar out of them, making enzymes) may be as ineffective as bio fuel is. For small devices sure, everything is better than rare metals pollution.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The most widespread, rapidly-grown and easily-grown source of biomass to produce such batteries is sugarcane itself. Much less impact than say: corn or other mainstay crops, although, algae growth is likely the next step in producing more cost-effective, safe biofuels that reduce the impact on our world. Plus, the byproduct of sugarcane is easily amassed as well. The only trouble with it is that it would have a direct price impact on sugarcane. Hopefully algae can make up for that.

Another thing to note: Self-repairing batteries would be a far better alternative to our current li-ion batteries, as the current ones simply destroy themselves with use.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
The most widespread, rapidly-grown and easily-grown source of biomass to produce such batteries is sugarcane itself. Much less impact than say: corn or other mainstay crops, although, algae growth is likely the next step in producing more cost-effective, safe biofuels that reduce the impact on our world. Plus, the byproduct of sugarcane is easily amassed as well. The only trouble with it is that it would have a direct price impact on sugarcane. Hopefully algae can make up for that.

Another thing to note: Self-repairing batteries would be a far better alternative to our current li-ion batteries, as the current ones simply destroy themselves with use.

With how ionic cells work I don't think it'd be possible to really create a self-contained self-repairing battery. Once the cathode is completely saturated with anions (and anode saturated with cations) the amount of charge required to seperate them is more than the battery itself can handle. Better off looking into a new source of energy rather than electron/ion flow.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
With how ionic cells work I don't think it'd be possible to really create a self-contained self-repairing battery. Once the cathode is completely saturated with anions (and anode saturated with cations) the amount of charge required to seperate them is more than the battery itself can handle. Better off looking into a new source of energy rather than electron/ion flow.

http://phys.org/news/2013-11-scientists-self-healing-battery-electrode.html

It's a work in progress :p