M1A1 vs T72

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
what are the strengths of the t72?
What are the weaknesses of the t72?
What is the T72's top speed?

What is the M1A1's top speed? I've heard it was 45 governed 70 ungoverned.
What are the M1A1's strengths and weaknesses?

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
There is no comparison. The M1 outclass the T72 in almost every way. Price, weight and ease of manufacture being the only three things that I can think of that favour the T72.

In a 1 vs 1 fight, front to front, at 2000 meters, then the only way the T72 can do some serious damage to an M1 is if it scores a good/lucky hit with its AT11 gun launched missile. The conventional rounds usually found in T72's are nearly useless against the M1 at long range. The M1 on the other hand can fire, at night, while on the move and quite positively destroy the T72 with a single shot to the front of the turret.

But to be fair, the T72 with its 45'ish tons is almost a light tank compared with the monsterous 70 ton M1..

The specs:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/t-72-specs.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1-specs.htm

Sardaukar

Aug 23, 2001
Eglin AFB, USA
Visit site
Well, we've never seen a real RUSSIAN T-72 go against a Abrams. The export versions = teh suck, they don't even have the composite armor that the Russians use. The ammunition that Iraq used is some of the worst ever manufactured.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
ya but the advanced optics and stabilzation tech found on the abrams gives it nearly twice the effective engagement range of the t72, not to mention while moving at full speed.

a better comparision would be a M1a1 verus a leopard or one of the newer European MBTs

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
Any reason in particulars for this line of questioning? Why do you want to know how well a T-72 could do against an Abrams? Perhaps you have acquired an amount of T-72's? And perhaps you are planning on using them to take over the world?

If so, count me in.

ecale3

Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
thanks for the info. I was curious because of a game i was playing where they have the Abrams outclassed by a T72. I knew it was bull but i was digging for specific info. Thanks again guys.

Sardaukar

Aug 23, 2001
Eglin AFB, USA
Visit site
Yeah, Freon's right, the M1 back then only had a 105mm gun (same one in the M60).

I've always wanted to play a modern tank game with a penetration model like WWIIOL's. Let's see, I guess a Pzkpw IIIH vs a Panhard AMD-178 would be a good match up.

Specs...

Pzkpw IIIH
Front hull/superstructure armor = 60mm
Side hull/superstructure armor = 30mm
Rear hull/superstructure armor = 60mm
Front turret armor = ~60mm
Side turret = ~60mm
Rear turret = ~60mm
Gun= 50mm KwK 38 L/42 (penetration of probably several panhards lined up with each other)

Panhard
armor = enough to resist rifle rounds from the front, may be penetrated at close range.
Gun= 25mm Sa Mle 1934 (penetration of 35mm @ 30 degrees @ 100m)

Each can kill each other, but one needs skill and patience.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Screw the T72. T90 vs M1A1 is a fair fight. My bet is that the T90 wins because it'll launch an ATGM and follow it up with a shell. Such is the beauty of the robust cannon on the T90.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Sardaukar said:
I've always wanted to play a modern tank game with a penetration model like WWIIOL's.

Surely you know of Steel Beasts? It won't ever get any more realistic than that, at least until Steel Beasts 2 comes out. Be warned though, it's a sim with a capital 'S' and hence has a learning curve that will break your back if you're not careful. :p

ecale3

Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
jaunty said:
Screw the T72. T90 vs M1A1 is a fair fight. My bet is that the T90 wins because it'll launch an ATGM and follow it up with a shell. Such is the beauty of the robust cannon on the T90.

If only the T90 hadn't died on the way to the battlefield because its second rate air-support couldn't hack it...

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
ecale3 said:
If only the T90 hadn't died on the way to the battlefield because its second rate air-support couldn't hack it...
Yeah, just like at Karbala. Oh wait...

And since I am too lazy to make a new thread:

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/blackwater/videos/M60E4.wmv

I take back everything bad I ever said about the M60 GPMG, well, some of it at least. (assuming that gun fired again, ever..)

Last edited: