So, I had an accident...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
... Saturday night. I was running to my car and my ankle just kind of gave out. I felt (and heard) a pop. I spent the night in the ER and it turns out I may have torn my Achilles tendon. The pain is intense, but the meds help. It sucks when I try to stand; all the blood rushes to it, and the pain instantly comes back :(

It looks like this will be my daily routine for at least a few weeks.

[SCREENSHOT]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10882161_10155038975940381_3558761822873861978_n.jpg?oh=687ebcbd8edf580672ae46cdbe613fef&oe=55374BDD&__gda__=1429228680_d8cb2d7ee27bee5c314f520e5e024712[/SCREENSHOT]

I have an appointment with orthopedics on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Wow....tough stuff. Sorry to hear about that.

Best of luck for sure! Keep us posted.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Come on guys he could have that disease that makes your bones brittle. He's the next Mr. Glass.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Thanks guys!

Today I pulled off my compression wrap and had a nurse friend take a look at the bruising. She says that it looks much more like a bad sprain than a tendon injury to her, so it may not be so bad after all. I see orthopedics tomorrow so wish me luck!

Get well soon Darked. Shitty thing to happen, but it will pass. No roadrunner running for you in 2015 :p

Thanks; more than anything, I'm just hoping it's not a torn tendon. If that's the case there will be rehab involved and it'll probably be 4-6 months before I can walk again :/

Damn dude. You have to be pretty out of shape for that to happen. Let's use this post to encourage others to get in shape in 2015.

if you tore your AT just jogging to your truck, you might want to take stock of your personal fitness and wellbeing.

Not necessarily; I'm overweight but not obese, and I'm actually fairly active. The PA in the ER said this happens to a lot of 'normal' people my age (I'm almost 30.) I think the shoes I was wearing may have been a factor, they don't have great ankle support.

it looks like you got tiny feet.

It's perspective distortion from the camera on my phone; I'm a size 12.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
At least it wasn't an accident in your car, but that still sucks. My left knee is fucked and I keep meaning to go to the doctor for a referral but I don't really feel like getting told I need surgery atm.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I understand the shoes aspect. Having the right shoes can be a huge issue when you get into your 30s; I'm 31, and have horrible arthritis in my knees (due to aspirations of being a skateboard star as a child). I can't wear dress shoes anymore; I've switched to chucks with nice insoles (that combination has been great for my knees), but even then I have to worry about my ankles, since chucks aren't exactly well known for their ankle support.

Hopefully its just a sprain!

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Sucks when part of your body just gives out with apparently no warning. Happened to me once, immense pain and a couple of nights with no sleep ensued.

First when I saw your picture, I thought you had a toe amputated or something, due to the shape of the cast.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Yesterday I saw orthopedics and as it turns out, I definitely did tear my Achilles tendon. The doc I spoke to thinks that I tore it clean in half but I'll have to do an MRI to find out for sure.

He said I can either do surgery or let it heal naturally in a cast. Surgery is faster and there is less chance of rupturing it again down the road, but is obviously the more expensive option that I couldn't possibly afford. Both options mean months of healing and then rehab, so I'm basically fucked.

For now, they've removed the splint and put me in an air boot. With that on I can at least hobble without crutches.

At least it wasn't an accident in your car, but that still sucks. My left knee is fucked and I keep meaning to go to the doctor for a referral but I don't really feel like getting told I need surgery atm.

Just do it. You may not even need surgery, and it's always good to know.

Get better soon! Muscle injuries are easily done.

Yep. Thanks!

Well done for managing to keep your dong out of the frame?

:lol:

I understand the shoes aspect. Having the right shoes can be a huge issue when you get into your 30s; I'm 31, and have horrible arthritis in my knees (due to aspirations of being a skateboard star as a child). I can't wear dress shoes anymore; I've switched to chucks with nice insoles (that combination has been great for my knees), but even then I have to worry about my ankles, since chucks aren't exactly well known for their ankle support.

Hopefully its just a sprain!

Strangely enough, I was wearing Chuck high-tops when it happened. I think those are to blame more than anything else. Unfortunately it's not a sprain, see above :mad:

Sucks when part of your body just gives out with apparently no warning. Happened to me once, immense pain and a couple of nights with no sleep ensued.

I haven't really had trouble sleeping. It's waking up after eight hours with no meds in my system that sucks. Life is just awesome.

First when I saw your picture, I thought you had a toe amputated or something, due to the shape of the cast.

It looks like you're missing another big toe.

Yeah. The splint was offset to the side a bit.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Being all gimped-out does have it's advantages. I've finally had time to get back into Prison Architect, there's been about ten major updates since the last time I've played. Check out the prison I've been working on, click for full-size:

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/kjOfDss.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]