Mark Rein "Excited for Unreal Tournament Comeback"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
I'm super excited, seemed like this would never happen! :D

In regards to PC / Consoles..
I'm actually extremely optimistic - I've been playing around with Unreal Engine 4 for a few weeks, and one thing that strikes me is how it's been designed to accommodate various platforms with such ease.

From what I've seen, unlike UE3 (I'm looking at you UT3), games will be made for high end PC specs and then other versions would simply be built from that.

Looks like the era of shitty console to PC ports are over with UE4.. happy days!

Also, the Shooter Game example that comes with the engine looks amazing compared to the dark clutter of UT3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJry_vuC0o

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
No I think.
I am currently working on a new Deck remake for OT, and these 2 days are really focusing on it, then, suddenly this news!:D
Man, can't wait to find out what is coming back!!!

I think ive seen your work.
Its this one, right?
[SCREENSHOT]http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg596/chongleebnw/Open%20Tournament%20Picture%20Depot/01_zpsc8c3a059.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Looking good so far :)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
In regards to PC / Consoles..
I'm actually extremely optimistic - I've been playing around with Unreal Engine 4 for a few weeks, and one thing that strikes me is how it's been designed to accommodate various platforms with such ease.

From what I've seen, unlike UE3 (I'm looking at you UT3), games will be made for high end PC specs and then other versions would simply be built from that.

Looks like the era of shitty console to PC ports are over with UE4.. happy days!

Also, the Shooter Game example that comes with the engine looks amazing compared to the dark clutter of UT3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJry_vuC0o

Indeed, it will probably even have Linux support out of the box. Joy!

Also, yea, that video has very strong Mass Effect 1 aesthetics. I'm liking that a lot.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
AWW SMACK
OH YOU'RE ON FIRE

Oh snap! A new game form the studio that brought us Gears of War! Can't wait!
Relax. That was a long bloody time ago. And if Fortnite is any indication, it definitely sounds like they were really getting tired of that anyway.

I've been hearing some talk about a UT/UT2004 remake done in UE4. That sounds kinda awesome to be quite honest.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Also, Unreal without CliffyB, I'm skeptical.

I'm not convinced that CliffyB is vital to a good Unreal title. Indeed, after listening to him speak on various podcasts etc, I've begun to think that the series might actually be better off without him.

That said, I think a lot of the talent that made the original games so great has long left EPIC.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I'm not convinced that CliffyB is vital to a good Unreal title. Indeed, after listening to him speak on various podcasts etc, I've begun to think that the series might actually be better off without him.

I think the series would be better off without him too BUT not for the reasons you specified. Cliff has made it known that he's not interested in developing any more sequels to the games he's worked on before. He wants to do his own thing.

So if his heart's not in it, I wouldn't want him working on his previous titles either.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I think the series would be better off without him too BUT not for the reasons you specified. Cliff has made it known that he's not interested in developing any more sequels to the games he's worked on before. He wants to do his own thing.

So if his heart's not in it, I wouldn't want him working on his previous titles either.

I heard him lamenting over the death of the arena shooter, and it sounded like he wanted to make a new one like UT. Maybe that's were either he, or EPIC, should go. Maybe it's better to use a new moniker and let Unreal rest in peace. I really don't want the 'Unreal' brand to start being carelessly thrown around for purely marketing purposes, and disgraced the way 'Age of Empires', 'Diablo' or even 'Far Cry' have been. For example, "Age of Empires Online" was a travesty, and made a mockery of the fine titles that preceded it. They tried to sell that game on borrowed reputation.

Last edited:

Nevzat

Jan 28, 2009
Cyprus
best way is a remakeing original unreal tournament it will be a fail otherwise unless they learn from their past mistakes

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
On the other hand, remaking Unreal Tournament could be a mistake too if they don't ship an editor (note that UnrealScript is one of the important features shedded from UE4). I've got bored of the vanilla game some 14 years back

M^uL

Nov 16, 2009
On the other hand, remaking Unreal Tournament could be a mistake too if they don't ship an editor (note that UnrealScript is one of the important features shedded from UE4). I've got bored of the vanilla game some 14 years back

They are already shipping the editor :D. (at a $20/month steal).