Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BlackFish

ginger synther hipster
May 9, 2004
It's a beta key! For a friend! (said the email)
FRBED1D0B5E18F450FAF34E02

Got this in the email today. Enjoy

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Ummmm, should I try this out? I never really understood tribes though, do you just glide around on the floor and through the air at high speed the whole time? How do you kill people, do you have to somehow manage to hit them in mid air or time it to when they hit the ground?

I'm watching videos but it seems like all the people are doing is just air jousting and spamming until one of them manages to get a hit and kill the other guy. Is the gameplay any deeper than it looks? Yeah you might say it's similar to UT, but even that seems a lot more tactical or even aim-skill than this. I dunno, just seems kinda bland to me. :eek:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Some try for midair hits*, some wait til you hit the ground, others just use the ARs/SMGs
More times than not it's people playing Deathmatch while one person zooms off with the flag
*a real bitch since the discs are affected by your speed and direction

It isn't bad, but it kinda gets boring fast

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Open beta starts friday. The fact that you guys actually care about how it plays tells me it could be good. It would be nice to have some real arcade team warfare again with you guys.

The game is really good. The free to play approach is questionable, but from a competitive stand point, it's better than League of Legends.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I tried this a few weeks back and absolutely hated it. It doesn't seem like a bad game, it just isn't the kind of mp shooter I like. It has wide open maps (ewww), lots of terrain (eck), and carz (ugh). The terrain isnt so bad because of the "skiing", but with so much room to run it seems like its totally going to be "pew pew run away". All that was missing when I tried, was the hs weapon. (I know it's in there somewhere...)

It seemed to run, and be decently put together. I just hated the gameplay.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
SH SH SH SHAZBOT!

I think this game is the coolest thing since Unreal Tournament. Seriously.

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
mfw grabbing at 200 sanics and a juggalo llamas that shit
0w6ie.gif

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I really ****ing hate on Drydock, when I come in from the back at 200 sanics, perfect grab that will bring me home in less than 10 seconds, and then some damn raider from my team crawls half dead out of their gen room, uses his very last bits of energy to get to the flag, just before I grab it. Meanwhile, I spam VFF (I have the flag), but it's no use.

Honestly, the worst thing is when a soldier flies in, front to back, picks up the flag, uses ALL 140 of his energy to fly up in the air, land maybe 50 meters away from the stand, gets instantly killed by some PTH with a bolt launcher.

This game really needs ranked servers.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I really ****ing hate on Drydock, when I come in from the back at 200 sanics, perfect grab that will bring me home in less than 10 seconds, and then some damn raider from my team crawls half dead out of their gen room, uses his very last bits of energy to get to the flag, just before I grab it. Meanwhile, I spam VFF (I have the flag), but it's no use.

Honestly, the worst thing is when a soldier flies in, front to back, picks up the flag, uses ALL 140 of his energy to fly up in the air, land maybe 50 meters away from the stand, gets instantly killed by some PTH with a bolt launcher.

This game really needs ranked servers.
This is a Tribes problem older than time.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Then there's the HiRez problem of not being able to optimize to save their asses
Play 2 matches and during the second match get FPS dips left and right, even in areas that shouldn't be dropping(ie tunnels)
Gaps in terrain appearing. Particle effects sometimes dropping framerate, sometimes not. God knows what else I've forgotten

Also their understanding of physics is screwy. I'm fine with inheritance, but strafing should not throw your projectile off target by 20ft when the target is 50ft away

Maybe they should hire AngelMapper to fix their shit for them, at the very least they'd end up with a competent mapper

Last edited: