Unreal Tournament 2 Conversion: Second Editon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I stumbled upon this total conversion mod just recently and I have to say, I kinda liked where they were going with it generally. It's basically UT2004 but with different weapons, reworked HUD, reworked GUI, new pickups, new maps, new models, new announcer, a lotta sounds changed, and UTComp hard-coded in.

The problem? It's a total conversion. As such, it only gives you access to barely ANY of the original UT2004 weapons, just a couple of the base UT2004 maps with all your custom ones needing to be reinstalled as well, and any mods you had installed into your original UT2004 installation will also need to be reinstalled. Also, with all these base assets being outright replaced, some mods may not work right, if at all. Also, with UTComp hard-coded in, it's impossible to get rid of some things such as Match Warmup. And finally, it's rough around the edges. Some of the weapons look rather unfinished and couple elements of the HUD, such as the timer, don't seem to work right. And those are just things I noticed.

On the plus, some of the Quake 3 style weapons and sounds go rather well with UT2004. Also, some old UT weapons make a comeback. In general, some weapons are better than others. My fave is the reworked RL. The GUI recieved a nice upgrade too over the bland blue one we're all so used to. Sounds, again, are nice here. Menu music isn't too bad either even though I'm sure all of it, including map music, is just music from past Unreal games put into here. Either way though, it's still a lot better than UT2004's.

Final Verdict: It's got a rather nice paint job but it needs a lot more work under the hood. The GUI replacements are fine and the new loading screens are much better, but I shouldn't have to ditch all my maps, mods, weapons, and models in my UT2004 installation to get them. I would recommend keeping whatever the GUI needs and then relying off the base install for the rest of the way. I mean breaking up the mods new features such as the weapons, Quake 3 announcer, and UTComp into their own packages and mutators. This way, all original assets can be kept and the new features can be added, discarded, and changed according to whatever the user sees fit.

BTW, yes. This is the final release of this mod, so we won't be able to see any changes and/or additions to this at all sadly. If only there was a way to extract the cool GUI and just make the base install use that, I would be happy.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Hmmm....yeh, if they made it a separate game installation then it would work for me. I'm not getting rid of maps, mods, etc just to try it. What happens if you install it without getting rid of anything? Does it break or mess up anything already installed?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Hmmm....yeh, if they made it a separate game installation then it would work for me. I'm not getting rid of maps, mods, etc just to try it. What happens if you install it without getting rid of anything? Does it break or mess up anything already installed?
You don't need to get rid of anything. It's just when you install it, you won't be able to play with all the custom content that you put into your base installation or even be able to use a whole lot of the base content without reinstalling it all into the UT2 installation.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
So it's basically a game within a game? Do I just copy all my UT2004 stuff from the Maps/Music/Sounds/Textures/StaticMeshes/System....etc. into the UT2 mod area and I won't have to worry about losing any excess to all my custom maps within the mod? If I don't do this, I'm guessing I just get whatever they have in the mod, right?

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
It functions like a mod; didn't overwrite or mess anything up in my install.

It is cool, but frankly I am not much for the Quake content. It could have been easily made without it. Interesting though...certainly a lot of work went into it. I like the GUI.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
So it's basically a game within a game? Do I just copy all my UT2004 stuff from the Maps/Music/Sounds/Textures/StaticMeshes/System....etc. into the UT2 mod area and I won't have to worry about losing any excess to all my custom maps within the mod? If I don't do this, I'm guessing I just get whatever they have in the mod, right?
Yep. But I don't know how it will react if you replace the UT2 base assets with the normal UT2004 ones. If the UT2004 assets in UT2, such as XWeapons, have been modified like I think...

I'm sure any custom maps you put in will work. Same for skins and voices. But mods are a very different story. Like TweakTool. That mod assumes (obviously) that it has the standard UT2004 weapons and items to work with and, thus, has options built around this. Using UT2 though means that more than half of TweakTools functionality will be rendered useless.

Also, since UTComp is wonderfully hardcoded into it, some mods that are used to having their way, such as Ballistic Weapons, may not play nice with that.

It functions like a mod; didn't overwrite or mess anything up in my install.

It is cool, but frankly I am not much for the Quake content. It could have been easily made without it. Interesting though...certainly a lot of work went into it. I like the GUI.
Yeah, so do I. Again, if anyone knows a way to make your base install of UT2004 use the UT2 GUI, that would be incredibly awesome.