Flak Cannon = No Skill

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
I don't who you're playing with Pope, but I've never seen anyone use just the flak cannon during an entire match & if they do, then maybe they just prefer that weapon over any other, just like some people would rather use the shock rifle.

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Cablemodems : Packeloss & Bouncing pings / Shared Lines = Very unstable connections leads to, weird and hard gameplay.

DSL = The Ultimate Connection
56k6 = Poor Guy, stop whining, buy broadband or Cable. Not avaiblebe for ya, POOR GUY

What i never got, you an whiner if you using an fast connection like Cable or DSL, and you a skilled player on 56k6.
But how about a person with a G-Force 2 64Mb on a 1GhZ Rig, 512 MB ram, again someone on a VooDoo2 64 Mb ram on a Celeron 350 MhZ.
That guy on that Super RIG will own the guy in FPS, even when the Celeronguy is on DSL, and the 1GhZ RiG on 56k6.
The gameplay i soo much better.
I have a fast connection, but a slow PC, sometimes my framerate is so slow, i look at a slideshow, bringing my cablespeeds to useless. So i get fragged then, due low FPS speeds, not HIGH ping. That is what people are forgetting often.

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
Great point, Blow Smoke!

However, I'm on DSL and it ain't all it's cracked up to be, I assure you. Packet loss. OMG, packet loss. I'm almost always the highest in packet loss on any server and that includes those 56Kers out there. I'm never at 0 percent any more. My packet loss spikes are hideous. My pings like to go from a nice 125 to a not so nice 400+ at random times. And the ultimate, my DSL cuts out on me virtually every day. Cuts out completely. Then there is the 12 month contract I had to sign. Still got over 6 months left on that.

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
That guy on that Super RIG will own the guy in FPS, even when the Celeronguy is on DSL, and the 1GhZ RiG on 56k6.
The gameplay i soo much better.

That's funny, I have had exactly the opposite experience. My home machine - Athlon 750, 56k link - loses badly to my work machine - Celeron 466, 2M over LAN link - in online performance. Weird.

nepenthe - wow, that really sucks :(

DPS - isn't this a succesful thread? You must be very proud :) :)

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
OK, but how about a guy on a Cyrix 266 32 MB eMachines mouse ATi 2MB 3D decelerator and 13" monitor (but broadband) vs a Geforce2 Ultra P3 1.13 Ghz 512 MB with 21" monitor and super smooth USB mouse (but 56K)?:)

Athlon 750 and Celery 466 might be too close in performance for Blow Smoke's point to be made.

{950}Slayer|PuF

Master of the Paddle
Jul 23, 2000
Madison Wisconsin
Visit site
Hey Blow!!

I have seen more complaints on DSL than cable!! And usually the cable problems is bad ISP and/or bad Roadrunner modems!! :D

And remember that DSL is limited by your phone-lines quality!! And I have seen DSL people have worse connection than me when they have the same or fewer hops to get to the server we are playing on!!

And the biggest problems right know is that there is too many versions of UT running together and also the biggest limiting factor is how the net routes you to a server!!

Kaz

Godlike Drunken Spammer
Jun 21, 2000
California
(BoD) nepenthe:
Blows point applies to me then...I get anywhere from 1-15 fps overall and I play rather well against all the people with high and mid end gaming rigs. If anyone wants to whine baout 56k then I have JUST as much right to whine about my crap computer :)

BTW my comp is a 233 mhz imac with 66 mhz bus and 50 mhz graphics slot filled with a pci rage iic stuck on the board. I do however have 160 mb of RAM...too bad it doesn't help :D

Kaz

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Originally posted by (BoD) nepenthe
However, I'm on DSL and it ain't all it's cracked up to be, I assure you. Packet loss. OMG, packet loss. I'm almost always the highest in packet loss on any server and that includes those 56Kers out there. I'm never at 0 percent any more. My packet loss spikes are hideous. My pings like to go from a nice 125 to a not so nice 400+ at random times. And the ultimate, my DSL cuts out on me virtually every day. Cuts out completely. Then there is the 12 month contract I had to sign. Still got over 6 months left on that.

I have exactly the same problem, except that I'm on cable. More PL than when I was on a modem, no matter where I go. My pings might be better but a lot of times my opponents and myself are in this weird teleporting event and I get so frustrated. It's even worse in Q3A because I'll freeze intermittently, or totally. At least in UT I get to move around and play.

I use a netspeed of 4000 now. I also went to Win2000 tonight in hopes that the smoother network protocols might help.

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Originally posted by Kaz
(BoD) nepenthe:
Blows point applies to me then...I get anywhere from 1-15 fps overall and I play rather well against all the people with high and mid end gaming rigs. If anyone wants to whine baout 56k then I have JUST as much right to whine about my crap computer :)

BTW my comp is a 233 mhz imac with 66 mhz bus and 50 mhz graphics slot filled with a pci rage iic stuck on the board. I do however have 160 mb of RAM...too bad it doesn't help :D

There is a Voodoo 2 accelerator for the iMac. I can't remember what it's called but that would work wonders for you.

You have enough horsepower to run the game, you just don't have a good enough video card. I ran a PII 266. 128MB RAM and a Banshee and UT played quite fine on that. Your iMac is about 15% faster than my old rig.

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
I have soon Cable & DSL and i gonna see wich one is the best, but my bets are on DSL, not Cable.

Cablemodems are shared lines with you'r neigbours, and the router somewhere in you'r block is used as traffic by the whole neigbourhood is needed.
Speeds ETC are all depenaqble by the equipment provided by you'r ISP.
In my case this is now, an total useless connection for UT.
Few weeks ago, i still was the one here on PuF with the fastest cablemodem. Even faster as most DSL lines here, but now local dutch server win 700+ ping, and 20 to 90% pl constantly. :(

DSL is an dedicated line, totally of you'r own, no matter the load of the provider, it will NOT affect you'r speeds.
Also DSL in an Synchrome signal, with results in a more constant dataflow. With results in a steady ping in UT, not as with cable somewhere between 25ms and 300ms as i had allways.

Furtermore about Highspeed rig's, Yeah the difference between an P2-400 and a P3-550 isn't that large, specially with a good graficscard, but try to take it on with an P2-400 against a P3-850 with a Geforce2 in it.

I have such a setup on a LAN, so connection is not a issue here, equal pings, but man, when i play on my p2-400 and my GF on that P3-850 Rig, i totally get 0wned, but when she's playing on my PC, and me on that p3-850 rig, i 0wn here, badly.
And to be honest, i can play UT better as her, so PC's count as well, not only pings.

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
Well, I wish what you say about DSL were true. But unfortunately, at least in this part of the world, it is not.

DSL is very similar to cable, but the sharing takes place at the CO as opposed to further down the pipeline. It's superior generally, but it's not like you're hardwired to the internet and no one else is using that connection. There's still an effect due to high isp traffic, just not quite as pronounced as in some of the routing schemes used in city-wide cable installations.

Then, you have to remember, a lot of DSL users are connecting over PPPoE. This means they must use an additional piece of software to connect. RASPPPoE is one of these.

I think you're talking about synchronous? Well, business-class SDSL ($249 a month) is synchronous, has guaranteed uptime and bandwidth, pings under 10 to the gateway, etc.

My piddling 768/128 residential-class ADSL (NOT synchronous, $55 a month) is a far cry from that, though.

I'm not saying the DSL you get in Amsterdam will be anything like mine. But DSL for me is just a pain. Pings go ALL OVER THE PLACE, packet loss is always over 3%, etc.

I learned a lot about broadband reading this site: http://www.dslreports.com/begin .

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
Which now brings this long, but very interesting post to a hopeful end and yet again the flak gun wins with a landslide and shall reign supreme in UT as a flak whore weapon :) I think we should talk about spawn killers hehe they really bring out the inner feelings about games that require no skill to kill..

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
Originally posted by XxBonesxX
Which now brings this long, but very interesting post to a hopeful end and yet again the flak gun wins with a landslide and shall reign supreme in UT as a flak whore weapon

LOL bones.

What weapon other than the flak cannon can reign supreme in UT as a flak whore weapon? :D

XxBonesxX

banned
Dec 19, 1999
A grave Yard!
Visit site
I saw a humorous side to my last post didn't anyone else :)
Apparently mr Robo got lost in his own attempt to make a funny out of something that was already bringing in the laughs. mr Robo can't think of his own funnys poor poor mr Robo

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
Maybe you should read your own post again bones.

For some reason, a lot of people have trouble with their grammer on forums...

The flak whore weapon shall reign supreme in UT :p