2K Games Lifts Bioshock 2 SecuROM Install Limit

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
According to the official game's site 2K decided to remove SecuROM install limit after community provided massive feedback on the subject.

There will be no SecuROM install limits for either the retail or digital editions of BioShock 2, and SecuROM will be used only to verify the game?s executable and check the date. Beyond that, we are only using standard Games for Windows Live non-SSA guidelines, which, per Microsoft, comes with 15 activations (after that, you can reset them with a call to Microsoft.)

What does that mean for your gameplay experience? This means that BioShock 2?s new DRM is now similar to many popular games you advised had better DRM through both digital and retail channels. Many of you have used Batman: Arkham Asylum as an example to me, which uses the exact same Games for Windows Live guidelines as us as well as SecuROM on retail discs, and now our SecuROM is less restrictive on Steam.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
15 activations? That is sick, who would do such a thing! Even Windows won't exist ehen you'd get to your 15th install...
Makes sense :p

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
I can't believe they where even considering install limits, after the whole fiasco that happened with the first release. I didnt keep up with Bioshock 2 news, but I'm glad they decided on "no install limits".

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
15 activations? That is sick, who would do such a thing! Even Windows won't exist ehen you'd get to your 15th install...
Makes sense :p
Well, I never found WinXP to be reliable in the long run, so some people might redo their systems once or twice a year, and how many system a user has. So it really depends on user, but still, 15 is more than plenty, and Bioshock 3 will be out by the time you get close on your 15th install. :p

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
What about the Steam version? It's page doesn't list using any 3rd party DRM. I don't know if it's policy but every game I've cared to look at that uses an additional layer (on top of Steam) has this declared.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Yeah as long as the activation servers stay online.
It's not about how many, its about relying on external verifications.

I'd rather the alternative: initial install limits eventually getting patched out, once "Piracy Fever" has eased, like with Farcry 2 and others.

At least then you can play it years later, theoretically, without fear of a potentially unsupported game/dead publisher needed to give you permission to play the game you bought legally.

I really don't like where gaming is heading. BRING ON THE CRASH OF 2014!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What about the Steam version? It's page doesn't list using any 3rd party DRM. I don't know if it's policy but every game I've cared to look at that uses an additional layer (on top of Steam) has this declared.
It will likely be like the original. No SecuROM. The only change will be the addition of standard GFWL DRM.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
So isn't one DRM bad enough ?
They may have eliminated the securom-DRM, but that still means that any 'Games for Windows'-game has an install-limit.
And if there's one thing I trust even less than securom&steam it's MS.
They've already proven that they will eliminate any activation-servers without warning (as effectively happened to their plays4sure-scheme ... ).

Piracy is indeed the answer if you don't want to deal with this stuff.
That or simply not playing the game at all, which is easier and morally superior answer to this level of idiocy.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
It's a smart enough move to back out of any seriously restrictive DRM. The GFWL stuff is still a restriction, but far less invasive and more tolerable as far as I'm concerned. Now if only they could grab my attention to actually want this game.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
It's a smart PR move to give the appearance of backing out of any seriously restrictive DRM.

Fixed.

The GFWL stuff is still a restriction, but far less invasive and more tolerable as far as I'm concerned.

It's not about the "invasivness", it's about the ability to install the game in five years time.

The Bioshock crew promised a patch that would remove the online check after some reasonable time. Fair enough, but it never happened. What they did was to remove the install limit at the server. Cheaper, I'm sure, than a patch but totally misses the point. I haven't bought Bioshock because I'm still waiting for the patch.

I understand why some people find copyright infringment attactive. Less hastle and a better chance of it working in 5 years time.

I've pretty much stopped buying PC games because of the use of online install checks. I am taking a stand (quixotic, I know :() but I have shelves of unplayed PC games that I've acquired over the last (eek!) 27 years and (bit rot permitting) I can install every last one of them (yup, even got a working PC XT for those really old games:)). I can't do that with most recent games.

Even games like Dragon Age have thinly disguised online activation (if you want a decent class, it's a download).

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
There is a good chance, though, that they actually did back out of a planned setup instead of pretending to have the DRM in place at first.

It would not be the first time that a horrible prospect has been presented with a view to getting the slightly less horrible prospect through as everyone breathes a mistaken sigh of relief.

I suppose it boils down to whether or not you think game company marketing departments are paragons of truth and light or prone to falsehood and manipulation.

In considering this question, I refer you to the Minimum and Recommended System Requirements on the back of any PC game box. :)

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I suppose it boils down to whether or not you think game company marketing departments are paragons of truth and light or prone to falsehood and manipulation.

In considering this question, I refer you to the Minimum and Recommended System Requirements on the back of any PC game box. :)

I have a small amount of knowledge with regards to how a marketing team within a game company would work, and most if not all of those people are very much trying to give people what they want within the confines of their job/ability. I can't speak for any marketing department, definitely not the one handling Bioshock 2, but my skepsis over this being a marketing ploy is being outweighed by my skepsis for marketers to employ that sort of strategy.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The Bioshock crew promised a patch that would remove the online check after some reasonable time. Fair enough, but it never happened. What they did was to remove the install limit at the server. Cheaper, I'm sure, than a patch but totally misses the point. I haven't bought Bioshock because I'm still waiting for the patch.
Then you'll want the Steam version which doesn't have install limits.