Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

Is the UT site done, well i am afraid not, but i will declare it for open never the less :)

I will keep adding new things to the site upcomming time, but i need to go back to the SGC Project and keep my promises to other people.

Than of course the news everybody was waiting for, the new S3TC textures for Unreal Tournament.

Upfront a few remarks:

- The packages are netcompatible, which means there should be no conflict with the packages on the current servers.

- Anti cheat, it will pass Pure anti cheat just fine, at least it did nothing on me. Other anti cheat i have no clue, but i will soon hear that from you guys :D

- Skating Player glitch should have been fixed as the packages are conform with eachother. Still, input is always wanted, and if the glitch should(re)apear please post about it.

- Masking problems for the city and SkyBox package should be fixed.

Than a few links dealing with the Unreal Tournament Retexturing Project, UTRP or UTRProject for short:

Unreal Tournament site

UTRProject page (yes i know, i will replace the screenshots for UT screenshots as soon as possible)

Unreal Tournament forums

bugreports and remarks about individual utx packages

Forum to discuss the project in general (and in this case the Skating Player glitch is dealt there).

Texture Database

Which is important for mappers, you can see what textures are S3TC and which are not, on top of that you can download the photoshop files in a maximum resolution of 2048 pixels x 2048 pixels in case you want to edit the textures to your own good in a new package.

And than the actual release for the packages.

I have been working around the clock on all packages, and that includes updates in all current UT S3TC packages that never were updated, since the project originally only was ment for Unreal.

All the packages together are now some 1784 Mb, which is getting awfully close to 2 gigabyte of High Resolution textures. All packages have been re-processed again to take out errors and to make sure all dates did match.

All packages have now 15-04-2008 as date(non English countries 15-04-2008), yeah i know its in the future :cool:

They also should be concidered as beta in case you go online with them, SP no problem could occur.

Extreme End downloads (aprox 972 Mb download) Make however note that you need to download the High End versions first and than overwrite what is there with the Extreme End versions.

High End downloads (aprox 1198 Mb download)

Low End downloads (aprox 701 Mb download)

Please, please, please do me a favor and post actual bugreports on the forums from Unreal Texture and not here.

Have fun with them :D

Last edited:

Diehard

Lol right, that skipped my attention, and theres likely more :rolleyes:

But if correct and you unpack the zipfiles they all should say 04-15-2008(or non English 15-04-2008). But page should be fixed, if needed refresh the page.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Yeah.

Just two small suggestions:

1) Maybe begin numbering the releases after this one? e.g; UT_S3TC_Hi_End_Texture_Package_01(04152008).zip

2) Maybe create "Patch" versions of them for users who got the previous version, that contains only the updated files compared to the previous version? That'd put a LOT less strain on your server in terms of bandwidth, too, as opposed to me having to re-download all of these textures now. :)

Diehard

In this case i had to redo all packages to make sure they were compatible with UT, which forces everyone to download them all again. Unfortunate but necessary....

I discarded the use of numbers years ago, since it would mean that all links would get broken each time there is a new release. And that included some sites that are allowed to hotlink them.

As for patching, this would complicate it for me too much, its already difficult to keep things in the correct order, but if needed people can always download the individual updates on the single file pages:

High End single files

Low End single files

And i would have to use numbers on those pages as well, which would consume tons of hours more work (and the chance of broken links)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Now there's no way I could download them in one big package - but I can download them one by one. So my suggestion is: when you update, post a changelog so people would know which textures are changed and could download them one by one.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
Lol right, that skipped my attention, and theres likely more :rolleyes:

But if correct and you unpack the zipfiles they all should say 04-15-2008(or non English 15-04-2008). But page should be fixed, if needed refresh the page.

The English would say "15-04-2008", it's the American's who would say "04-15-2008" - the English use Day-Month-Year format, whilst the American's use Month-Day-Year (I've never understood why).

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
- The packages are netcompatible, which means there should be no conflict with the packages on the current servers.

N1 !

Btw DieHard, have you given any thought about redoing textures in vectorial format one day ? It should be possible to do some things in Adobe Freehand while leaving the tricky stuff in bitmap form. The advantage of this is that the graphics could be upscaled to any resolution.

The English would say "15-04-2008", it's the American's who would say "04-15-2008" - the English use Day-Month-Year format, whilst the American's use Month-Day-Year (I've never understood why).

And computer programmers will say 2008-04-15 because it will sort better ^^.

Last edited:

Diehard

whilst the American's use Month-Day-Year (I've never understood why).

Me Neither, cause if you follow that rule it would be "minute, second, hour", "month, day, year", "decenia, year, century" Didnt know btw England used the same as non English, so you learn everyday

Avon Kerr, lol , accidentelly i did buy the Blakes7 DVD set a week ago :)

Btw DieHard, have you given any thought about redoing textures in vectorial format one day ? It should be possible to do some things in Adobe Freehand while leaving the tricky stuff in bitmap form. The advantage of this is that the graphics could be upscaled to any resolution.

I do some of my work already in Illustrator, but only for shapes that i re-use in different sizes, but its only limited to shapes. Even with high resolution verctors it still would give less detail, and i already have a problem that my textures are often(unwanted) too clean :( But yeah vector can be scaled endlessly alright, but its limited in use for me.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I can actually play Multiplayer in UT with these textures, without encountering any bugs?

Awesome if this is true.

Diehard

I can actually play Multiplayer in UT with these textures, without encountering any bugs?

Awesome if this is true.

You can play online with them, its just unclear to me how much the skating player glitch will haunt everybody...........

But i would like to hear input from you guys,

Does the packages pass all anti cheat, if so which anti cheat did it pass? And if the skating player glitch occurs, what maps did this happen on ?

I badly need that kind of bug reports.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Skating players... I never had an idea on how they fix the bug. I mean, it would be logical if the patch patched the skin textures, and leave everything else, as that's what enemies that skate use. But it's going just the other way :\ It patches everything but those files.
On this Linux I have the bug, and when I play on LAN with my bro either of us die from laughing while seeing how idiotically other players and bots look like :D

Diehard

Though its still a kinda mystery but there is another reason why glitch is triggered.

If in a normal package a 24bit texture is added, and an S3TC package is created with that package the glitch apears online. But only if that specific texture is being used in the map you play on. If correct, it has nothing to do with the player skins.

All together i would advise to use ONLY the textures from the UTRP project and make sure that ALL other packages are the normal plain textures that came with the 1st CD. (except of course the chaos textures). All available S3TC textures from the 2nd CD are present in the UTRP textures, but with less bugs than the Epic versions)

A short installation guide

If you already have everything installed, make sure to keep the UTRP packages in a safe place.

- Overwrite all textures in your texture folder with the ones on your 1st CD.
- Than overwrite those with the packages from the UTRP.
- Than run the S3TC Fix over them.
- Than take these files from your 1st CD and copy them again to your texturefolder:
Female1Skins.utx
Female2Skins.utx
Male1Skins.utx
Male2Skins.utx
Male3Skins.utx
SkTrooperSkins.utx

This should ensure that you have the most clean installation, with no messed up Epic S3TC textures.

And in case this is unclear to people, ALL S3TC textures from the 2nd CD are already included in the UTRP packages, which means there is no reason to further go use them........

Last edited:

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
JUST saw this post and am reinstalling ut as we speak.

I want to thank you very very much for your hard work.

Simply Awesome.

Now that Unreal Tournament has been released on Steam there may even be a significant increase in players. Here is hoping :)

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I want to thank you very very much for your hard work.

Simply Awesome.
+1

I should have said so sooner. Sorry.

For all the skating bot problem, I was getting many admiring glances yesterday during our lunchtime session. People (non-players even - they could tell that it was different) actually came across to admire AugustMoon whilst we were playing. It was cool that the players came to admire - cheap kills for me whilst they were away from their PC:)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
That skating bug is present only in wrongly configured servers, at some very good optimized servers that never happens. There was fix for it I belive for normal s3tc textures, but well i think it is more of server's fault, because when I followed instructions of 3 how to properly config it, players never had skating bugs on my servers back then.