WOTs crashing with pretty colors ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, it finally happened. WOTs is crashing and it might be my system and not the game, but I'm not absolutely sure (need to try UT3 and see what happens).

My desktop system is about 5.5 years old with GTX 280 video card and old drivers. I'm continuing to use old drivers so the UT series games keep working, but I might have to finally upgrade them and/or get a new video card.

World of Tanks crashed twice tonight so far and stays on screen with pixelated different colors all over the place. I reboot and I'm fine with internet and programs. What's my most likely culprit and what should I try first, second, etc.? After I post this I'm going to see what UT3 does. I'll post my specs in a few.

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
Could be the drivers, like you said, especially if that game just released an update. It also could be the result of overheating and maybe your card or your memory is on its last legs. Test some other games, and maybe run a stress test program. As a side note, new drivers shouldn't mess up your UT series games. But if it does, there are alternate renderers for UT and Unreal that work with newer OSes and hardware.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
:(UT3 crashes also, so it's not just WOTs. My CPU temps are 37-39 degrees C; my GPU temps are 56-64 degrees C. I'm going to try cleaning out the case dust and see what happens after that. I forget what I did last time this happened.

EDIT: didn't get a chance to clean computer tonight, but updated and backed up. Will clean dust tomorrow and see what happens; here's hoping it works again like it did in February in that other thread in this section.;)

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Try sifting through this list for tools and resources.
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3750&start=0

Why don't you update the drivers ?
(Just because a previous version may not have worked, does not mean newer ones will not.)
I've never had an issue with using the latest drivers with any Unreal game, nVidia or ATI.
I use D3D9 for both UT99 and UT2004.

Are your Mobo chipset drivers updated ?

If your issue with the driver is that you are stuck with a final version, and there is nothing newer that will install, then try the driver modding utility on the page linked above.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
As soon as I install a game that won't work with present drivers or won't work correctly or won't look right because of a driver issue, then I'll update drivers. Besides UT3, the newest game I have installed is WOTs.

Anyway, dust cleaning worked....all games working again!!!:) Thanks for the links, I'll check those out.