bots are great!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SubCog

Sep 27, 2003
hey, these bots are awsome! at least for a first version. They wouldn't do anything on the beach level, but they were surprisingly fun in the canyon level. It looks like its gonna take several more versions before they're really polished, but this is a great start!

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
I think they're pretty stupid hehe :) but they'll prolly get "smart" in later patches. Imo FMI should scrap the bot suport and focus on what needs work, gameplay and bugghunting. Who wants to play with bots anyway

.pot.OptimusPrime

Philosopher stoned
Nov 1, 2004
Finland
I think the basic game concept is way too complicated for bot AI. I don´t know how they could be able to react difficult situations eg. when base is under attack, someone calls for help elsewhere and they´re currently hacking a deploy point in mid-field. No matter how they priorize their algoritms they probably play incredibily stupid in this kind of situation. Bots´ only reason to exist would be as a stupid bloodthirsty enemy against whom newbie could get his first combat experience and practise few tricks before moving to real arenas. I really hope not to see these dumbas§ machines in public games.

Yukkoman

overCruel Ranger
Jul 11, 2004
lol have to agree, they are quite cool but I think bot support main ide is to be able to train xmp and your aim offline, not purpose to have actively playing in online games.

Well atlest that up top the server admins to detemrine =)

Last edited:

Hidea

Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
they're not great :p they're pretty dumb.... none of the bots are trying to steal any artifacts... or even make barricades...

However, I love the bot support.... as in. the feature itself.

Asta

Big NooB
Apr 28, 2004
tried instant action, and after my bots spawned, all of them starts gaurding the spawn point, which is unhackable.

they are fun to tk though, they start saying stuff.

Last edited:

[_X_]BULLDOG

Jul 23, 2004
iddQd said:
I think they're pretty stupid hehe :) but they'll prolly get "smart" in later patches. Imo FMI should scrap the bot suport and focus on what needs work, gameplay and bugghunting. Who wants to play with bots anyway

No FMI should not scrap the bots it is a very good idea to have them,
coz when server dont have that many ppl playing it will keep the numbers of players up in servers,
i hate playing on servers with just 4 or 5 ppl, theres just on fun in the game when its like that,
So keep the bots FML and keep up the good work :tup:

Funktion

Nov 16, 2004
I hope they keep and improve the bots. There's nothing better than, when you're bored, fire up UT2004 and play an offline game with some bots. Not to mention that when you get problems with your internet connection or lag (a little too frequent in my case, since my ISP sucks; I'm changing this month), it's cool to be able to play offline.
The mod, by the way, looks great, especially for Beta 1. I think the gameplay is much more enjoyable in the UT2004 code than in Unreal 2, especially the veicules.

This one and Jailbreak should be in everyone's harddrive, when it comes to custom gamemodes.

[Shadow]Aksen

=vD=Aksen
Mar 18, 2004
i got some cool screenshots today!

start an Instant Action game, then go to the console and type "addbots 20" or some such thing. it's fun, i just wish they'd change class.

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
[_X_]BULLDOG said:
No FMI should not scrap the bots it is a very good idea to have them,
coz when server dont have that many ppl playing it will keep the numbers of players up in servers,
i hate playing on servers with just 4 or 5 ppl, theres just on fun in the game when its like that,
So keep the bots FML and keep up the good work :tup:

Nah i dont think so. depends on what map you play.. but 2 vs 2 can be pretty much fun :).. At least, funner than a lagging server .

I think the basic game concept is way too complicated for bot AI. I don´t know how they could be able to react difficult situations eg. when base is under attack, someone calls for help elsewhere and they´re currently hacking a deploy point in mid-field. No matter how they priorize their algoritms they probably play incredibily stupid in this kind of situation. Bots´ only reason to exist would be as a stupid bloodthirsty enemy against whom newbie could get his first combat experience and practise few tricks before moving to real arenas. I really hope not to see these dumbas§ machines in public games.

Very, very true.. Even for players (not excluding myself) it is hard to make the right choices.. for example.. our team was running out of energy.. and i had artifact.. in stead of just going to get a power plant i was spamming my team with "We need energy!" "I got an artifact!" .. How is a bot going to decide when its time to screw the artifact and go get energy? It should make estimates of all the players skills to know if they can handle it, guess what powerplant is least guarded by enemies.

The only way bots can function in a game is as cannon fodder. I don't think they will be able to form any kind of challenge in a singleplayer game (unless they have mad aiming skilzz :p)

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Well it was just my personal thought thou I can understand why other players would like to have bots. There are those who like to play offline etc and sometimes it could be fun if the server adds bots when its almost empty :)

Skipr

Apr 1, 2004
I hate bots. I cant tell them from the new people playing XMP and I keep asking if they are bots, then they say no and I feel bad

:\

/\ºKamakazi

Jun 10, 2004
New York
I think they make for decent target practice when you set them on godlike and go up against a group of them. As long as both teams have equal amounts of them - it's not to shabby but atm they are way too dumb :)