That seals it then...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NiteX

Unreal Junky
Feb 11, 2004
La
I agree, at first I was just accepting the 200X names and was trying to get use to them. They arent really all that catchy. I much rather the game be called UT3. But like I said before some where on this forum. They already started the 200X names it wouldn't really add up to end it. It would confuse noobs. People would think 2004 was UT3.

]SideWinder[

Winder of the Sides
Apr 26, 2005
Frankly, I dont care what they call it.

it could be called "Unreal Sh!t in a freekin box tournament 22XX!!11" and ied still buy it. All this meens now is I have to update my avatar to say UT2K7

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Epic/Midway are idiots.

The new UT's only just been announced and already we have a public relations disaster. Wonderful. Epic need to get a ****ing clue.

I refuse to call this game anything other than UT3.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
I don't get where this UT3 stuff is coming from. UT2004 doubled UT2003's content, I don't call that an expansion pack... and naming a game after an engine is dumb.

:edit: And don't forget that at E3 a few years back it was "officially revealed" that the next Unreal game would be called Unreal Episode 2. They changed it again a couple of months later.

Last edited:

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
Selerox said:

Why?

People need to get over the fact that it's not going to be called UT3. Stop raving like fanboys about how Epic/Midway/Whoever are dipsh*ts because they decided to carry on with the 200* routine and just hope the game will be good.
Honestly...

Edit: This isn't a direct snipe at you Sel, It just amazes me how people can get so annoyed about something as trivial as a game's name :/

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
First, I personally don't care what the name is. The can call it UT: Load of Crap and I'd still buy it.

Second, it's true that the name doesn't change what's inside the game...

...BUT...

....from a marketing/sales point of view, the name is everything. On any new product, there are people paid to do analysis and research on what name to be used. The perfect name can boost a sub-par product, and a poor name can kill a quality product.

Example - in my company, we had a new product that we were about to release. The new CEO decided that he wanted to name the product, contrary to what the Marketing team had suggested. The product did very poorly, and we almost discontinued it. The Marketing team convinced the CEO to change the name, and now the product is one of our better sellers.

The name is the products very first advertisement, and you MUST choose a name that grabs your target audience and conveys the message of content to get them to buy.

]SideWinder[

Winder of the Sides
Apr 26, 2005
Selerox said:
jesus dude, get over you self. This fan boy OMGZ I TEH HATEZ DA 200X SH!T, AND I WILL NEVER EVER EVER CALL IT UT2007!!!11 bullsh' has gone on long enough. Face it, its going to be UT2007. But I guess this is to be expected. When they were calling it envy there were people refusing to call it that too.

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
should name it after editor builds
UT4 it would be BUT if you look at the filing system for maps .ut2 for ut2004
i would callit UT07 personally afterall UT99 isn't the 99th UT game is it :p
maybe if they put a storyline in it for single player (would be great unreal 1 style single player hint hint wink wink) then maybe they could come up with a name

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
...naming a game after an engine is dumb.

Also, a few IRC quotes that might get across the problem that people have about the yearly naming convention...

<[FtUC]Vertigo> no no, let me explain
<SharKTanK[FtUC]> go for it
<[FtUC]Vertigo> UT1 was a dirty, industrial sci-fi shooter
<[FtUC]Vertigo> UT2003 ditched all such elements, including a backstory, and went for trying to sit on the shelf next to FIFA 2003
<[FtUC]Vertigo> the fact that they're keeping the sports convention is a bad sign about Epic's view of the game
<SharKTanK[FtUC]> yeah, I agree mostly
<SharKTanK[FtUC]> I'm trying to get out my feelings into words
<SharKTanK[FtUC]> thing is... I didn't dislike the sports-ish theme
<SharKTanK[FtUC]> so long as it was set into the future, with alien races and corrupt governments
<[FtUC]Vertigo> well if you feel like a player in a far-future sport then that would be excellent, i would be hooked
<[FtUC]Vertigo> the problem is that it [UT2003] feels like playing a sports game set in the far future
<[FtUC]Vertigo> no personal involvement
<[FtUC]Vertigo> no real game, just a set of programming rules to abide to
<[FtUC]Vertigo> more simplistically, it's called UT2007 when if they had the right attitude it would be UT2341 :p (or whenever)
<SharKTanK[FtUC]> yeah, I definately agree with that
<SharKTanK[FtUC]> I'm not bothered about the decision to call it UT2007
<[FtUC]Vertigo> yeah, the name in itself means nothing
<[FtUC]Vertigo> it's just a bad sign

Last edited:

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
Ah!

<[FtUC]Vertigo> UT1 was a dirty, industrial sci-fi shooter
<[FtUC]Vertigo> UT2003 ditched all such elements, including a backstory, and went for trying to sit on the shelf next to FIFA 2003
<[FtUC]Vertigo> the fact that they're keeping the sports convention is a bad sign about Epic's view of the game

<SharKTanK[FtUC]> yeah, I agree mostly
Here's what I wrote in another thread:

Load the original UT. Watch the intro flyby again. What are the first images? A dingy urban scene with trash plastered to cracked concrete walls; a ghetto barrel burning; the fire escape ladders and stairs of an inner-city projects building.

Then when you hit escape, you're presented with the original Unreal Tournament desktop: the sharp & jagged letters for Unreal Tournament cut into a rusted and worn backdrop.

And what accompanies these gritty scenes? Slower, more muted and menacing music which emphasizes atmosphere over pomp.

The world of the original UT was something more akin to Blade Runner or Neuromancer. It was a dark and gritty cyberpunk world rich with atmosphere.

The shift to the sporting-franchise naming convention reminds me too much of my distinct disappointment with UT2003 and the apparent shift to a world which more closely resembles a cheesy and bombastic WWF promotional video.

Some people seem to think I'm favoring more "realism" by taking this stance. That's not the case at all; it's just a very different flavor for the Unreal universe -- a more rich and distinct flavor which more accurately represents the original Unreal and the original Unreal Tournament.

I have nothing against variety and fantasy within the Unreal universe.

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Renegade Retard said:
First, I personally don't care what the name is. The can call it UT: Load of Crap and I'd still buy it.

Second, it's true that the name doesn't change what's inside the game...

...BUT...

....from a marketing/sales point of view, the name is everything. On any new product, there are people paid to do analysis and research on what name to be used. The perfect name can boost a sub-par product, and a poor name can kill a quality product.

Example - in my company, we had a new product that we were about to release. The new CEO decided that he wanted to name the product, contrary to what the Marketing team had suggested. The product did very poorly, and we almost discontinued it. The Marketing team convinced the CEO to change the name, and now the product is one of our better sellers.

The name is the products very first advertisement, and you MUST choose a name that grabs your target audience and conveys the message of content to get them to buy.
I understand what you mean, but not how this makes Epic/Midway marketing guys to stick with the 200x naming convention. I'm a n00b in marketing, but from my point of view I see the following:

Disadvantages of the 200x naming convention:
-harder to pronounce (Do you say "You Tee Two Thousand and Four" a lot? I always say "You Tee" to keep it brief)
-it doesn't come out every year, like the FIFA series
-it has absolutely nothing to do with the storyline

Neutral:
-The majority of the current community doesn't like it. This is neutral since they'll still be complaining after they have bought it ;)

Advantages of the 200x naming convention:
-?

Can anyone with some marketing studies point out what I'm missing here?
Are new players really more likely to buy UT2007 instead of UT4? Does it allow to make better-looking logo's?
Or is UT2007 just the name the current chief CEO liked the most? ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Go&nd said:
Ah!

Here's what I wrote in another thread:

Load the original UT. Watch the intro flyby again. What are the first images? A dingy urban scene with trash plastered to cracked concrete walls; a ghetto barrel burning; the fire escape ladders and stairs of an inner-city projects building.

Then when you hit escape, you're presented with the original Unreal Tournament desktop: the sharp & jagged letters for Unreal Tournament cut into a rusted and worn backdrop.

And what accompanies these gritty scenes? Slower, more muted and menacing music which emphasizes atmosphere over pomp.

The world of the original UT was something more akin to Blade Runner or Neuromancer. It was a dark and gritty cyberpunk world rich with atmosphere.

The shift to the sporting-franchise naming convention reminds me too much of my distinct disappointment with UT2003 and the apparent shift to a world which more closely resembles a cheesy and bombastic WWF promotional video.

Some people seem to think I'm favoring more "realism" by taking this stance. That's not the case at all; it's just a very different flavor for the Unreal universe -- a more rich and distinct flavor which more accurately represents the original Unreal and the original Unreal Tournament.

I have nothing against variety and fantasy within the Unreal universe.
It fits with the storyline just fine. Have you listened to the woman in the UT intro? Because it was the subsequence of events leading from the NEG approving the tournaments that lead to a universe ultimately governed by a mining coporation who enters contestants into the tournament.

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Regardless of the story, I'm referring to the flavor and atmosphere of the universe in which that story takes place.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Or heres a better idea, when the demo is released download the mutha and see for yourself if it sucks or not. VIOLA, you just saved yourself 50 bucks its so amazing :rolleyes:

As stated in another thread, i could care less what the name is, as long as it has that UT feel with the gameplay to boot. Yes a good name can be good in advertising(thing Unreal Tournament Bloodlust, yeah that will get a few units sold), but heed the above advice and all your answers will be solved.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
BooGiTyBoY said:
Is it the fourth game?

Yes... it is...

therefore...

UT4. :D

This 2.5 crap is a fanboi technicality I refuse to accept. lol ;)

UT3

Taleweaver said:
Disadvantages of the 200x naming convention:
-it doesn't come out every year, like the FIFA series
-it has absolutely nothing to do with the storyline

YES YES YES YES YES
you stole the words out of my mouth
WTF is the fukin 2003, 2004 or 2007 or 200w/e for?
The frggin game is supossed to take place in the year (don't know) 2456...

is the most ABSURD thing tha game has

the name shoulb be more UC2 oriented like, you don't see Need for Speed 1997, or Half-Life 2939, BUT you DO see Battlefield 1942, that's logic

I just hope it's not too late to change the name, with that of registering the trademark and etc..

Last edited:

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
]SideWinder[ said:
jesus dude, get over you self. This fan boy OMGZ I TEH HATEZ DA 200X SH!T, AND I WILL NEVER EVER EVER CALL IT UT2007!!!11 bullsh' has gone on long enough. Face it, its going to be UT2007. But I guess this is to be expected. When they were calling it envy there were people refusing to call it that too.
fanboys are people who blindly defend the decisions of the company creating the product. therefore, you're the fanboy, not selerox :)

the ut200x naming convention really sucks, it says "this is a game that tries to be a sports game, it will be replaced in a year or 2 with the next in the series, at which point we want all you minions, um, i mean customers to buy the new year's version and play that instead"
now, a name like UT Envy i like personally, as it says "this is a game, it's from the same stable as UT, but it's new, it's shiny, it's got it's own thing going on. there may be others in future, probably will be, but hey, this is still a game in it's own right too!"