Unreal '95: Prisoner of Na Pali--- TC Idea Based Upon Alpha Tech Demo (and Some Beta)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
This was an idea I had after checking out the old beta trailers for Unreal, and then finally playing the Unreal alpha demo. From the playing the alpha, I was struck by how the demo was created in 1995, and I was struck to by the atmosphere and look of the demo. The environments were shiny 3D, but it had 2D sprites of eyes and torches hanging around, and the awesome blue cloudy moon skybox felt Doom-like. The castle interiors felt like something out of those first person RPGs, like the first two Elderscrolls and Ultima Underworld. And there were those neat pre-release tracks, which I love to death. Hints for the Nali characters are in the alpha, if you look at a particular engraving on the pillars, you could see four armed monks. (I guess Epic originally planned for the Nali to be more Benedictine in appearance). Like Leo, I was fascinated by how the alpha and beta had a vastly different look in comparison to the retail game, and I wanted to draw out my dream TCs based upon the early versions.
Not that I can actually mod these ideas, unless I can become really technical sometime soon. However, these are images representing how I would imagine the Unreal alpha and beta if they were recreated and enhanced in a mod for either UG or UT98. The lower picture was the first, and more beta inspired. The second, which I'm really proud of, is an adaptation of the famous first alpha shot of the heroine facing the red dragon in the dungeon, except this time, I made him a very tall red Scaarj.
The first picture is mainly inspired by the alpha demo (including the robed Nali), with some of my own additions. It kind of looks like Unreal meets Cave Story.
I can just briefly describe what I would do for alpha demo-based TC. The main character would remain female, but instead of starting out in a crashed prison vessel, she starts out in an underground dungeon (a la Arena and Daggerfall). While escaping, she fights Nali versions of rats and bats, as well as imprisoned human and Nali, tentacles, grey Brutes and the red Scaarj. Her early weapons include the Scaarj gauntlet, spiked club, and an alternate Dispersion pistol. When she gets out, Na Pali would remain the same, except now you can go to any part of the world at any time (like Castlevania). There'll be more castles, more Nali villages, and it would include those fantasy creatures. Dragons will appear of various sizes, colors, and difficulty. The original story for Unreal claimed that there is a lingering terror lurking underneath the surface of the Na Pali, so that could be the final boss (larger and different looking than the main ones). I'd want different and new weapons, and I'd want to keep that cool skybox in the alpha. I don't if there's a way to mod Unreal to look more retro, like it looked in the alpha, but it may be better just to enhance the alpha's perks in the retail.
What I have in mind therefore is a TC based upon the tech demo with elements from the early Elder Scrolls, Ultima Underworld, Doom II, Quake, and Castlevania. It's just an idea, but I though Leo and other alpha enthusiasts would like my artistic rendition of the alpha/beta. Enjoy.

jr9ugPEl.jpg

ZGMgsmKl.jpg

kHCnM4Wl.jpg

Last edited:

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
I think the pictures I've uploaded are way too big. My fault. I need to make them smaller.

I'm still not quite sure what the "oh" was about.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Cool idea I guess, not sure about the "art quality", then again I guess you drew it using something more "primitive" in that case I probably wouldn't draw it better myself. But it is greatto see someone else being inspired by this stuff.
The nali "monks" were originally called wizards, there is even inaimate mesh existing in one of them except the skin is lacking except for the face part which it shared with woman/dragon. It had two skins, just like gasbag in unreal still has two skin slots too, even though most monsters had that removed. The wizard originally had two arms only but later they added the four it seems including on that texture in the 95 tech demo. The map where there is the dragon and woman in that early screenshot was also recovered as it was part of that tech demo, but due to a mistake of someone overwriting the unreal.unr file using these .bat files, it wasn't recovered until recently, but without the dragon as the model preview tech demo from 95 was not releaked even though it was actually leaked back then too.
Also the old female model didn't have ponytail at all btw compared to the later "gina" stuff.

Last edited:

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
I know. I know. I used pencil, pen, and marker. That's the best thing I can do at the moment, since I am unable to do computer art. I could have used more variety of markers in the Nali monk one, but I was in a bit of a rush. The dragon/heroine picture intentionally used limited colors because I wanted to be close to the screenshot. Because the pictures are so big, gaps in coloring are easier to see. The yellow sky one is the first Unreal picture I did, so it is definitely more flawed. Although my art may not measure up to others' in the Unreal community, thanks for thinking I drew well with the primitive tools that I had.

Didn't you notice that all the eyes in the first picture? They are based off of the eyes in the demo. They probably had no story function whatsoever (cameras?), but I thought it would be cool to see them rendered in a mod recreation.

As low in the art quality as my pics are (in comparison to most computer fan art), they're just blueprints for potential game posters if I ever do mod it. If I ever do find a way to render them, the quality will improve. Thanks again for your support.

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
I know it's rather late for me to rant, but did really have to say "art quality" and "primitive," especially in quotes? Not everyone can do digital art, and this is my style, regardless of whether it uses "primitive" tools or not. Quality is all in the way the style and colors are employed, not in the tools.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I know it's rather late for me to rant, but did really have to say "art quality" and "primitive," especially in quotes? Not everyone can do digital art, and this is my style, regardless of whether it uses "primitive" tools or not. Quality is all in the way the style and colors are employed, not in the tools.
I put them in quotes to not be or seem insulting, not the other way around. Don't know why you came back as if it bit you now. Those were very simple drawings anyway and I assumed originally you drew them in something like paintbrush until i saw that there were clearly lines and it was hand drawn.
And quality also stems from the tools used in general. If UnrealEd had polygon drawing techniques just like you can make shapes in 2d editor but which would be truly 3d, it would have been even easier to use tool and not have to be always made from premade brushes and tools. And it could also greatly improve quality of some custom maps as well. It won't improve gameplay, but atmosphere and believilability certainly.

Last edited:

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
Sorry I misunderstood, Leo. I'm glad I understand you now. Your response just perplexed me for awhile, and the quoted words just kept gnawing at me. But yeah, if I ever to levels for Unreal (and I want to do modding experiments at some point), I'll keep your advice in mind.

These drawings were meant to give a rough idea of how I would do an alpha/beta based mod. I particularly want to find a way to replicate the beauty of Unreal 95's software environments and retro skybox in mod form, as well as that wonderfully crude early screenshot of the heroine and the red dragon.

Sorry again for my weird random response. I do think you're one the cool dudes of Beyond Unreal, Leo. ;)