Any chance at UT live?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

Goober
May 29, 2000
I have been playing Quake live mostly because it is really hard to find UT3 matches when I want to. I can't stand the movement, the weapons and the overall feel in quake. But the thing is there are ALWAYS matches available and this thing is still beta. The servers are always relative close and there are plenty of players. Plus they don't allow higher skill players to play below their skill level once they get to a certain tier. In UT3 there is a huge gap in level of players and basically very few new players end up sticking with the game it seems.

Plus Q live is completely free and browser based runs great on any computer just about.

It would be nice if they could do this for UT99. Probably all dreamin :cool:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I'd love to see Epic do that, but they won't even release UT99 as a free public download. They really just want UT99 to wither away and die as far as I can tell. A UT99 Live would be a great idea if they could figure out a way to turn it into a workable business model.

I took the Quake Live tour and I was very impressed with all of the features it offered for online multiplayer in terms of matching players up based on skill and the friends lists. However, I couldn't get it to run in Internet Explorer and I never received a login confirmation email. I might try it again for Firefox.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't know about you guys but I'd personally rather prefer a "UT2004" live.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Plus Q live is completely free and browser based runs great on any computer just about.

1) It's not browser based, you need to install the client which is not compatible with browsers in general. For example, it doesn't work with Chrome. No support for Linux and MacOSX. etc.
It's just the a Quake 3 client which runs within certain browser windows.

2) it runs on less systems than Quake 3, in fact, doesn't run at all on my 5 year old laptop (which can even run UT2004).

Instead of a Quake Live like thing I rather see a standalone client. But I don't see that happen, there is nothing to gain for Epic. Also, I doubt it success.

DD

Goober
May 29, 2000
1) It's not browser based, you need to install the client which is not compatible with browsers in general. For example, it doesn't work with Chrome. No support for Linux and MacOSX. etc.
It's just the a Quake 3 client which runs within certain browser windows.

2) it runs on less systems than Quake 3, in fact, doesn't run at all on my 5 year old laptop (which can even run UT2004).

Instead of a Quake Live like thing I rather see a standalone client. But I don't see that happen, there is nothing to gain for Epic. Also, I doubt it success.

It works with firefox and IE, which is good enough for almost everybody.

Mac OSX and linux support are in development and according to id is a "priority." There have been numerous news report of this so there is no reason not to believe that it will happen. It is still beta so don't judge it yet until you see the completed product.

It runs fine on a 10 year system that has a p2 450 MHz. Not sure why it doesn't work on your laptop. Obviously the system requirements for UT2K4 are much higher.

Bottom line: it's free and there are a lot of people on the servers, and 99% of the game playing public will be able to play it. What is there to whine about? I wish Epic would support the UT community as much as ID seems to support the Quake one.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Quake live is a bad idea actually, I have uninstalled it later and never went back. I don't want the same to happen to UT, imagine Ads everywhere and instead of blood there would be crappy sparks. Eff yeah.

Thanks no...
And ID hardly supports Quake community, in fact ID is more closed to people than Epic is, just try asking them something and see who answers you first, mostly ID never answers.

Last edited:

DD

Goober
May 29, 2000
Quake live is a bad idea actually, I have uninstalled it later and never went back. I don't want the same to happen to UT, imagine Ads everywhere and instead of blood there would be crappy sparks. Eff yeah.

Thanks no...
And ID hardly supports Quake community, in fact ID is more closed to people than Epic is, just try asking them something and see who answers you first, mostly ID never answers.

I would take ads and full servers over a dead game with no ads.

I don't see how you can say Epic supported UT3 by releasing a totally crap product which completely killed the game. By the time they got around to making acceptable, nobody is playing it any more. I have been on the Epic forums. Sure they sometimes answer your questions (if they don't delete or ban you for negative comments) but the answers they give basically show they pretty much don't care about the PC UT community.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Bottom line: it's free and there are a lot of people on the servers, and 99% of the game playing public will be able to play it. What is there to whine about? I wish Epic would support the UT community as much as ID seems to support the Quake one.
There is always something to whine about :)

How is Epic not supporting the UT community? Didn't they just release a free expansion pack?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I don't care about a UT Live.

I prefer playing UT3, at least I have ****tons fun with it, more than any other UT title.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
No, it is not...
It is not UT99, it is not UT1... it is Unreal Tournament.
So it's you guys that cry in the tags!? xD

Unreal Tournament = UT99, UT 2003, UT 2004, UT3

How else (specially when talking in a non-UT99 forum) do you want people to figure out you're speaking about the specific title rather than the franchise as a whole?

Calling it UT when it was released and the only title in the series worked, doesn't work now though.
Get over it :)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Just call it Unreal Live and make it the Unreal Tournament 2004 version. Regular Unreal Tournament would also rock. I don't think Epic believe in Id Software's business model. It can be hard to develop for a web browser. Quake III Arena was probably ported to a browser by some fan after the full source code came out. If Epic had the same policy someone would have made it for them already.

I can predict that people will be playing Quake in web browsers and hosting their own ad-free games in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.