I just purchased UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
I dont have quite enough iron to really play it - so I wont be going online.

WalMart lowered the price from $50 to $29.

This is an odd thing really. At $50, it seems to be contending for a choice as 'the next ... thing'. At $29, it is just a good game - well worth the money. Its not the money, its the positioning. For whatever reason, people seem to have decided (voted - like caeser ... thumbs down) that it isnt 'the next ... thing'.

I have played the demo ... and ignoring the 'my game is THE game' cool factor ... it is clear that UT3 is a good and fun game.

I wonder if people will buy and play it for $29 as a good/fun game.

Probably not ... gamers are jaded and dependent on associated game coolness.

Just curious how (or if) a price change effects anyones thinking.

P.S.
The retail game (unpatched) is MUCH heavier on resources than the demo.

paradigm

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
game blows even at $29. And you are not missing out on anything not playing online, since noone plays this game online. DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
game blows even at $29. And you are not missing out on anything not playing online, since noone plays this game online. DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

Sounds like you are comparing super mario to UT2k4. That would blow. This smells like a cool pose. Sorry - nothing personal. But it is impossible that it is that bad. (I do wish I didnt need so much iron - although that is common these days).

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
He's just a troll -- it's a really fun game, especially online, and when the mods come out it'll be even better.

Botmatches aren't the best -- but yea... it's definitely one of my games of the year.

paradigm

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
trust me it is. go load up the server browser right now, and respond if you see more then 10(i'm being generous) active full servers.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
I just wanted to be clear that I dont mean anything personal. I dont see this a 'my' game - except that I bought it - its just a fun game. I dont understand 'blows'. I have fun playing bots. (If I had better Iron I would have fun - if there were anyone to play - online)

I played UT99 a great deal online. (player0000 - :) ).

I'm still curious if UT3 succeeds to people as a 'fun' game (I think so) even if it isnt 'the next big thing'. The reason I asked is - If people didnt have either overly high expectations or 'hurt feelings' for some reason and this game were just seen as a 'game' - it might have higher acceptance. As a 'game' - I am having fun with it. (a little sluggish fun).

One thing I noticed in tweaking it (I'm a programmer, I should read the manual) is that the best visuals result (for me) with higher res, lower texture detail (1) and low screen percentage. If I bump any of those, performance tanks and it looks awful. But at those settings, it actually looks good. Either the settings have an inverted meaning from what I expect OR at the higher settings the deficiencies of my video card are exposed and it looks bad because my video cant handle it. (probably the case).

There is one thing I would change - I want TAB back for translocator. Does that require hand editing a config or is that even possible.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Oh man... I could save like 20EUR if I'd waited. Especially when I don't use it online which was the main reason why I bought it originally. I'll wait half a year how next UT will turn out. ;-)

Good luck with the game :)

SkoobyDoobyDooby

Apr 3, 2008
I just purchased UT3

My commiserations, It's probably still not to late to take it back.

$29 ? You were still ripped off!! If they sold it for $29, and it came with a $50 voucher to purchase any other game in the store, then yeah, OK, that might be an OK deal

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
I almost requested in the original post that cool posers - those whose only cred comes from product affiliation - not respond. I didnt. They are unavoidable.

I have played it (and will continue). Even if it isnt to your 'taste' - which makes one fatal assumption - it still is a fun game.

But I would still like to know if people think UT3 would have done better if it had been seen as a fun game rather than as the second coming? (Sometimes these things get overblown for the benefit of cool posers as opposed to gamers).

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
That date - apr. 9th 2004 isnt real. I must have had to reregister following a meltdown or something. I think I have been here since UT99.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
and if everyone listens to naysayers like you, then it'll never go above 10 active servers :rolleyes:

I rather think that naysayers can't make it that worse because even when someone buys the game it hardly adds one online player. After some time you simply stop searching for online games. It might slowly rise in the course of time, but the problem was somewhere at the very start of this game. Like no linux dedicated server, desillusion of many players who waited for this game, etc. Biggest problem is that many loyal fans simply stopped caring about this game. And I don't think that it was their fault.

With UT2004 you can join some servers - and many of them are actually demo servers - which is funny. You can join the game and play the same stupid Rankin/Torlan/+some more with ppl who never went beyond playing demo. Maybe better UT3 demo could help bit as well. Just a thought - I never elaborated on this "demo" theory before. ;-) Coming patch 3 and few cautions statements is the only hope that Epic still somehow cares about PC version. But they could do much more for UT3 propagation, or could have done better at the very start. Good patched demo is probably good idea. But rather delay it a bit to make it really good. The whole UT3 should probably be delayed until "it is done".

Anyway - UT3 for $30 isn't that bad deal. :)

Trip123

May 14, 2008
www.destinydealers.de
The Problem with the UT series is, every game looks better but plays worse.

First Unreal Online: Hard to frag, the way it should be, a skill game.

UT 99, still pretty good, but slightly dumbed down. Everyone can easily achieve frags.

UT 2003 better graphics, but the gameplay doesnt feel right, same goes for UT 3.