I just wet myself

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
My bet is they are setting up a UE4 project and giving it to the community to make with full permission to import assets from previous games.
You wish ...

Absolutely! Making that connection really gives some good indications.
On the contrary, it's a spam ...

I am not convinced that the community has a very good chance of creating the perfect Unreal Tournament.
They already tried to fix UT3 -didn't worked ...
Second: perfect for who? Old players likes UT, the middle UT2k4 and the youngest are asking for UT3 Vanilla version. So you can forget about "perfect Unreal Tournament".

If this will happen (I doubt ...), it will be UT3-like console exclusive game.

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
I know there's a 95% chance that any further attempt at Unreal Tournament will result in a colossal miscarriage of a game, but reading this has still set my heart aflutter. What if EPIC took a defibrillator to PC gaming with a purebred PC flagship like the flagships of old.

Damn, impeding release of Unreal Tournament: Ultra Advanced Warfare, coming for XBOX One and PS4 (PC version scheduled for Q2 2018, only on Origin)

ohboyherewego

More like Gears of Unreal War, now in third person with awesome cover based combat.

Holy shit shit shit shit...

i am still afraid though remembering fails like ut 2003 and ut3

Based on the opening line of your post, I'm not really anticipating any kind of comprehensible response, but: why exactly was UT2003 a 'fail'. UT2004 was nothing but a stand alone expansion for it.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Who wants to bet this was in the plans for a while but not really revealed until a convenient moment comes and a "prototype" or something is advanced enough. So those denials of no ut2015 etc were lies in the end or something? *scratches head* Or careful wording, like "Epic had nothing to do with spreading this on that site", though that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I mean I'm refering to the whole Unreal Tournament 2015 news/thread.
Well whatever the case I sure hope it's something worth it even if it's UT and not something else Unreal for a change.

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I'm betting on a F2P UT with a few base maps and whatnot then the rest is community made. Kinda like how Valve adopts popular community items in TF2, officially adds them into the game, and then profits get shared.
Yea im thinking/hoping this too.

Epic releases the core weapons (maybe leaving out one weapon for a Star Citizen TNGS ripoff show) and one/two maps for each gametype.
Then the rest of the content is made by UE4 Dev community+Epic.
Official servers= Approved maps and mutators
Client servers (i really hope this works this time)= Any maps/mutators goes.

After all Epic will want this to show off their shiny Engine.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Yea, to you maybe but im pretty sure we can agree on that this announcement is not about Epic making an Official Unreal Tournament 4 with tons of gametypes and maps.

Yes, indeed.

Mang Nux: Couldn't explain in details. Crowdsourcing the making of a game to such a bipolar community as Unreal has (the great UT2004/UT99 schism, it's like a religious difference nowadays)... I'm not too optimisic. On top of that, I can easily imagine the game being turned into a huge experimenting-ground for UE4 stuff instead of an actual game, and the idea that the game is not actually "complete" when it comes out, well I think that sucks. That's what happenned for UT2003 and UT3 (the last one even had a message "if you think things are missing, make them" at some point by Epic), and look how well it turned out. UT2004 had to be build on the ruins and UT3 had to get actual bonus packs to have its CTF-Face. It looks like people will make great things on a complete game, but are unable to make the game from scratch.
I also dislike the idea of making people build your game for you, on a more ethical standpoint.
This and many other things. I don't like the idea generally, but I don't want to write a complete wall of text.

Also, UT2003 a fail? Wasn't it like a huge success back in the days before everyone decided it wasn't UT99-enough? Unlike say UT3 which actually sold poorly on PC (also, UT2003 was good, you should eat it).

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's not going to be another AAA title developed completely by Epic. They are primarily working on Fortnite and were telling the truth when they said they had no plans to revisit the game. The stream is the same stream they use every week for their Unreal Engine podcast. It's going to be an Unreal Engine community project.

I also doubt we make a completely new UT game. I'd prefer that it just be UT99 HD with maybe a tweak or two to balance for modern pings. But then again why not go all out and make the Unreal Warfare MMO? Yeah, I bet it's just an HD remix.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
does this mean BuF is relevant again?

That's the second thought that came to mind after reading "Epic announces UT will return!"

The first one was a clusterfuck of "please don't make this another stupid art-driven area shooter"

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
It's not going to be another AAA title developed completely by Epic. They are primarily working on Fortnite and were telling the truth when they said they had no plans to revisit the game. The stream is the same stream they use every week for their Unreal Engine podcast. It's going to be an Unreal Engine community project.

I also doubt we make a completely new UT game. I'd prefer that it just be UT99 HD with maybe a tweak or two to balance for modern pings. But then again why not go all out and make the Unreal Warfare MMO? Yeah, I bet it's just an HD remix.

At least they will have changed their minds then about the community making a UT game. Wasn't that previously forbidden with UDK?

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
That UT99 image in Mark Rein's tweet makes me hope the announcement will have something to do with that and not 2k4/UT3. It would be great if Epic would let the community do an Unreal remake as well.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Does this mean we will likely not see "free" community content in the way we did with previous games?
If they're truly following the Valve model, it wont kill free content at all. People are still completely free to mod the hell out of the game and run all the custom levels they want on their servers.

The first one was a clusterfuck of "please don't make this another stupid art-driven area shooter"
Plz. I would actually really like to see UT99 made in UE4, but I don't want another Facing Worlds 3.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Could be related to Open Tournament as the project has been given the GO by Epic's legal department. Reply from Alexander Paschall here.

Good call. It would explain MR using the old UT shot in the tweet and be a great way to promote UE4.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Could be related to Open Tournament as the project has been given the GO by Epic's legal department. Reply from Alexander Paschall here.
Now I'm afraid the extent of this announcement will basically be a shoutout/blessing with some mindless jabber and reminiscing?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Good call. It would explain MR using the old UT shot in the tweet and be a great way to promote UE4.

There's a conflict: Paschall's response says the OT guys cannot use any trademarked or copyrighted content, and that the game can be a spiritual successor only. That is nothing new, as that was the position of Epic when they first released UDK.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I'd guess it'll be free to play and people will have to buy an UE4 subscription to mod it. I doubt they spend the resources to develop a nerfed free Editor version for a new UT game this time. Creating a marketplace to sell stuff would be kind of tricky since any major update to the Engine might break what you're trying to sell if they don't update the UT game at the same time. Epic or someone will probably release a simple publishing plugin for the game. I'd like to see how they will deal with cheating since they're pretty much handing over the keys to anyone with 20 bucks to burn.

I'd also wager that they're just taking UT3 assets and doing a little work to update it all to UE4. That doesn't mean it'll play the same, but it makes sense to do that instead of spending years developing new artwork. Especially if it's meant to be a marketing platform that doesn't rely on game sales.