UT Voodoo 2 Stuttering Problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DChaps

Dec 6, 1999
Visit site
I have a PIII 500 mhz, 128mb ram, 2 Canopus Pure 3D II Voodoo 2's in SLI,
Diamond MX300 A3D 2.0 Soundcard, running Windows 95 version C.
I have done a complete install of the retail version Unreal Tournament and I
still have over 8gb free on the hard drive. I am running the 3DFX Glide
version of UT. When I run UT, I have frame rate stuttering no matter what
resolution and detail settings I use in the video options. I have tried all
levels of detail and resolution. I have turned off 3D Audio Hardware and
tried it with it on. What is strange is that it almost seems like it
stutters at specific, timed intervals. It will be extremely smooth and fast
for about 8 seconds, then almost freeze and then start over again. It is
virtually unplayable like this. The UT348 demo did not stutter like this on
my machine. I have the latest drivers for the Pure 3D II, as well as the
latest Aureal A3d drivers. (In Half-Life and Unreal I am able to run at
1024x768 with no stuttering.) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don Chapman
drc@mindspring.com

Sock

Nov 28, 1999
Visit site
Hi,
On the LAN I'm running in my home I have one PC with a single Canopus Pure 3D II 12 meg Voodoo2. It is a HP Brand PC w/ a P2 400, 128 megs RAM, basic direct sound card (yamaha I think). On this system we have ZERO problems. The canopus cranks out an almost consistent 60 fps in 640x480 with all effects set to HIGH. Super smooth. Im running the latest OFFICIAL canopus drivers BTW too.

However, on my main system I have a Celeron 433, 128 megs RAM, voodoo3 3000 AGP, MX300 A3D sound card. On this system w/ A3D enabled I have BAD fps and stuttering like you mention. so i run in direct sound and presto!...smooth framerates! A3D=evil for UT!

2 possiblities come to mind. Since I know that the new canopus drivers are really polished I would say that it is NOT your canpus cards (UNLESS!!!!) there is a problem with the SLI set up. I cant say because I'm NOT in SLI. You should continue to try to find someone else running the same twin card set up as yours to see if there are any common problems that you both have. I have heard of none personally. This leads me to believe that since I have similiar problems as you with A3D enabled, your "use 3D sound Hardware" is the culprit. uncheck "use 3D hardware" under your options/preferences/audio tab and THEN REBOOT THE GAME. If you dont reboot it will NOT reset your sound driver to default "direct sound driver". i know for a fact that A3D puts a major hit on my cpu, maybe this is your problem too. either way, i wish luck. I hope this helps you.....have a nice day /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.