UT (GOTY) and framerates Speed up.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
I mean if I use the launcher my fps is stuck at 63/64 if I don't i can get around 150..not sure if I'm the only one like that..heres my direct3d

[D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=False
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=False
UseTripleBuffering=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
FrameRateLimit=200
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=False

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
d3d8, but i also tried it with everything else no matter what it doesnt go past 63/64

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
Is that a whole reinstall of unreal tournament? Or what is that

edit - yeah it is, looks good ill try it later

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
hey, there is actually complete fix for this problem:
coding.hanfling.de/launch
What do I do with these? Readme says something about C++, and stuff.

@Crowze:
I did what you suggested in your list, no success. I don't know how to disable cool&quiet in RMClock (I scrolled through all the menues, no idea), didn't try the VSync thing (after hours of trying to solve the problem to tired lol).

My system is: AMD Turion 64 x2, GeForce 8400M G, Vista 32bit SP2, Notebook. I'm lost...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Do you guys know how to deactivate "Cool'n'Quiet" through RMclock, or another program? I have no option to handle C'n'Q via BIOS, so I guess I need a program.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
You don't have it in add remove prog ?

You can take you cd driver graphiquecard or mothercard if it a chipset graphique.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Do you guys know how to deactivate "Cool'n'Quiet" through RMclock, or another program? I have no option to handle C'n'Q via BIOS, so I guess I need a program.
I've not tried RMClock since XP so can't say how well it works in Vista. You could try editing the Windows power profile to set the minimum processor speed to maximum:
  1. Go to Control Panel > Power Options
  2. Select the 'High Performance' plan or create a new one
  3. Click on 'change plan settings' then 'change advanced power settings'
  4. Expand 'Processor power management', look for an option like 'Min CPU frequency', and set it to 100%
Now you can simply select the 'high performance' power profile when you want to play UT. Can't say how effective it is since I disable SpeedStep in the BIOS, but it's worth a try.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Crowze:
I did that and no luck. Did the high performance thing, too.

It is suggested to set affinity to one core when running UT. Whenever I set it to one core, or keep both, I see absolutely no difference in performance. It seems no matter what I do, it has zero effect.

:hmm:

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
As you can see here: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=193149 I've been having some problems with UT.

Current situation.
The only thing that is fixed is that now UT will run in fullscreen rather than windowed mode.
It still only works in System mode, it has the same problem with D3D8 that it does with d3d, and all openGL does is produce the coolest graphics errors I've ever seen.

I have:
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200
64MB
The drivers for which date back to 2002, version 6.13.0010.2958. Could that be the problem?

And:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3200+, 2.2ghz...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I have:
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200
64MB
The drivers for which date back to 2002, version 6.13.0010.2958. Could that be the problem?
It would be a good place to start.

The latest GF4 driver that I can see is:

ForceWare Release 90
whql.jpg
Version: 93.71 Release Date: 2.11.2006 Operating System: Windows XP/2000 32-bit

Also, with "only" 64MB RAM on the card, I'd be inclined to give S3TC a miss and stick with the stock textures.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Kewl, will try that this evening.
I couldn't install them even if I wanted to; Umods have fallen out with me for some reason and I don't seem to have the same kind of XP as the person who wrote this:

It seems that .umod files haven't been associated with the right program yet. Open the explorer, go to View, Folder Options... and then to the 'File types' tab. Press the 'New type' button. Fill the fields this way:

* Description: Unreal Module
* Associated extension: umod
* Content type: leave it empty. If windows starts to complain, set it to unknown/unknown.

Now press the 'New' button. In this dialog, type this:

* Action: &Install this module
* Application used...: C:\Games\UnrealTournament\System\Setup.exe install "%1"

Replace 'C:\Games\UnrealTournament' with your UT directory. Now press 'Ok' two times, and you're done!

...because I don't have any of those options.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Is that the driver that people say online works best with your video card? If it helps at all, I have UT installed on my Win98SE machine still and it has a Ti4400 in it, so I'll check what drivers it is using. I'm pretty sure I'm using whatever still worked well with UT. Maybe it's just a matter of updating drivers.

For umods, you'll have to modify the file associations somewhat to get it to work or maybe add an association. I'm still using XP on my latest UT install, so let me know if you need to know about this.