Deus Ex 2 demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
It'll only make the sequel apear even more like garbage once you go back to the goodness of the original. The really frustraiting part is that there's probably a good game under there... somewhere, it's just burried under a pile of crap so big that find yourself really wondering if it's worth it.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Well they better work fast. As it is, i'm probably going to by DX2, but i'm gonna wait till it's in the bargin bins... so probably 2 or 3 days after it's release LOL.

ahem

I graciously give the patch a 50/50 chance of "fixing" most of the problems. Initially i thought to myself: No way, it's not worth it to them to put much effort & money into fixing the PC release. The Xbox version is where the money is.

But then i said to myself. Well if word gets out that the PC version sucks, and wont sell, then it might just de-value the Xbox version as well. So maybe good ol IS might actually take some intrest in "fixing" DX2.

Problem is,what exactly are the going to address in a pach(s).

Seems like the big 3 would be to Add click and drag to the User Interface ( i'd love a totally new inventory but i doubt it) Try and find a way to improve performance on most machines, and maybe make the AI more eaisly provoked.

If they can fix those things, or at least 2 out of the 3 i'll think about it.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Guys, I've just gotten an e-mail from them... they're showing 9/10 and 5/5 and such reviews from such sites as Gamespy and IGN!!!

Now, if the game were of the demo's quality, do you think they'd be getting awesome reviews like that?

Methinks someone uploaded an alpha version of the demo by mistake...

[edit]
http://www.dxinvisiblewar.com/

Go to "Press".
[/edit]

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
OICW said:
http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=205499

Ouch. I agree with his points though, although no AI will be perfect, you'd at least expect certain things from it...
I do wonder what difficulty-setting he was playing on, 'cause I didn't notice such extremely stupid behaviour ...
Then again I didn't try to break the AI either, so the only weird thing I found was the spiderbot-behaviour.

And then there's the times I got the thug in the appartment to throw a spiderbot and miss the window (which hadn't been broken), which as a result allowed me to escape unharmed while the spiderbot managed to do some damage to the 'enemy'.
(I guess there's a bug that sometimes causes spiderbots to be friendly towards the player ???)

I did find it odd that spiderbots couldn't climb walls ...

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Maybe it's a blessing that the spiderbots don't climb walls. I remember in the original game they were quite a pain in the arse, cause i don't think your pistols (or even the SMG) were very effective against them.. you needed EMP gernades or explosives to deal with them, so alot of times you were forced to simply retreat to higher ground.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I've got the retail version. It was a pain in the ass at first. Default settings are pretty retarded. It starts with the "mouse lag" and the in game pop up menus for inventory, biomods, and log book are a pain to navigate. After about an hour or so of messing with the user and default ini and reading the ion storm forums, I have it set they way I like it, like all other FPS for the PC. You can tell they had consoles as a priority for the game design. The whole game is oversimplified. If you can overlook that, it is still a fun game. It doesn't seem like they have done anything new with the AI. Not much improvements accept for graphics. Looking at the level design, and all of the loading you still have to do from area to area, I'm wondering why they didn't use the old unreal engine. That way they could have spent more time on adding more content than taking it away. I don't feel the game is worth $50. I was hoping to get it for about $30 on sale. I hate when they hype a game up so much, and it doesn't deliver. I guess I just expect more these days for my $50. When you can get the morrowind goty edition for $30 it really messes it up for other games.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
And here I still hadn't gotten over how monumentally disappointing Unreal 2 was...

I only hope to God that Half-Life 2 doesn't suck. I don't think I could handle it.

-Keiichi

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Finally got the full version. To be brief: The game is absolutely unplayable out of the box. And I do mean it. On a 2.4ghz, GF4 Ti 4200 and 512mb ram machine the mouse lags, the FPS is dipping down into single digits and the game looks like something from 2000. I got it working reasonably well though, after some ini tweaking, but that the game is unplayable to that degree out of the box is just unacceptable. If I had bought this I would have claimed a refund.

Anyway, after getting the game to work then I can just say that yeah, the story is kinda neat and the levels are nice, or at least above average. But the weapons are still horrendus, the AI still the same and the whole game still feels like it has been raped by an Xbox.

Keechi, if you took a brief look at the HL2 beta then you would know that it isn't exactly going to be revolutionary..

OT:
I had a pretty uneventful weekend so I got to play a few other games as well, mini-reviews:

SW: Knights of the Old Republic - Fair enough. Nice graphics, solid story and some decent combat. Overal pretty good, but just didn't do it for me.

Prince of Persia: Something with sand - I actually liked the puzzles, the graphics are nice, the sound is excellent(apart from the volume of voices differ from all the other sounds in the game) but the fighting is piss. Reasonably fun.

XIII - Good story, neat graphics, enjoyable gameplay with a few new twists. The game I found most enjoyable of the three. The only one that kept me playing to the end in one setting.

Last edited:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
like i said, wait for it to hit bargin bins with-in a week. Really is a shame though.. they really should've just renamed it to Dia-katana 2.. at least that way people wouldn't have expected anything from it.