Converting music - .ogg to .umx?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Homeslice

A mapper not in the zone
Hi, I asked this at the forums at Insite, but I wanna see what you guys know. This is what I asked....

I know this might not be the right place to ask this, but anyone have any clue as to how to convert an .ogg file to a .umx file? I'd like to make a UT map one day that uses those UT2003 music files. Just for fun, really, but also to be different.

And I tried downloading dbPowerAmp and the .ogg music codec. But I can't seem to turn anything from a .wav to a .umx in UnrealEd. I seriously wanna try this, 'cause I think some music of Ut2003 can fit the atmosphere of UT if I can get it right.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
the problem is with module files (UMX etc) that it's similar to a MIDI file, only using WAV's as its instruments... it would be possible to convert the OGG to a WAV then import that into a program like modPlugTracker and stick it in there, but the UMX file would be the full size of the WAV. you would have to do some serious chopping into parts to get it to a decent size...

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Ya, either get a massive filesize (30Mb for a 3 min song) and decent quality
or a medium filesize and horrible quality (prolly around 5Mb for mono sound with really low quality)
If you have musical talent then you can re-compose the song from scratch as a module file (umx) but otherwise I'd just forget the idea.

Homeslice

A mapper not in the zone
I'm not forgetting yet until it is truly time. Anyway, Darth, I got the Tracker, but it doesn't look like it will save as a umx at all. Do you think you could try something out? Not as a demand, but more like as a favor. I wanna see if it all truly works. (Well, you or anyone else try, that is.) Thanks.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
ill try but bear in mind i have no tracking talent :p i think i read somewhere that UMX is basically the IT format, just renamed extension... modplug has an option for IT format, though i haven't been able to get my own UMX files working before, they end up garbled when i try to import them into UED. but whatever you were wanting ot try, go for it, i got and hour and a half :p

Homeslice

A mapper not in the zone
I tried the .it thing in UnrealEd, and it semi-worked. I was able to make it into a .umx file, but it only plays the first 30 or so seconds before it retracted back to the beginning again. Hmm. I'll send you the file via your email and see if you can see what I see...you see?...

Actually, I cannot send it to you, because it's much too big for my email to allow. I'll try to figure something out.

Last edited:

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Save it as an .it thingy or whatever.
Then in the music browser, use the import command like you would with textures. No need for renaming.
And if you are trying to import the wav as a single sample then you will need to turn the tempo of the song RIGHT down. The song needs to finish playing at roughly the same time the sample stops so it loops back to the start at the right time.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
like bot said, what is probably happening is its playing through to the end of the pattern a, then there's nothing after it so it starts again... in modplug, youll need to set the tempo down and speed up(slows it) though there are limits as to how high/low these cn go just experiment... see in the pattern at the bottom where you put the WAV file in? click the button at the very top left and it will let you enter how many lines you want in that pattern (im going from memory here so the location may not be accurate...)change it up to 255, and that combined with a low temp and 'high' speed should let the WAV finish playing before the tracker runs through to the end of the pattern...

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Oh also, for filesize, I think there is a "downsample" button or something? Not 100% sure, I only used modplug tracker once in my life so dunno :p
The smaller the filesize the worse the quality though of course.

Homeslice

A mapper not in the zone
Well, after a period of several frustrating attempts to accomplish this (on and off), I finally got it! I converted the first full UT2003 track into my own UT port. I'll try to use it in a future map (which I haven't even thought of a theme for yet), but when I do, is crediting the original author of the track enough? Or do I need their name as well?...

the whole song only playing thirty seconds is because you need to reopen the it or whatever module you saved it as, then look on the patterns tab
Make sure your song is at the very beginning
you will see some numbers and letters at the top left corner of the patterns pane. There are little vertical lines separating the tracks. There should be a set of three red (I'm doing this from memory) digits. A letter and number combo like "A05 or somehting like that.
Highlight it and cntrl-c
then see where the little numbers inside the boxes are just above where you copied?
There will be a zero and a bunch of ones all in a row(or vice versa)
Anyway click the box second from the left now paste that group of three digits into the same spot it was when you copied it and your track will now play all the way.. It's a painless thing and if that is too vague a description jsut email it to me through UP and I'll do it in five seconds for you...

Last edited:

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Or just go here. Read the last news post (right in front of you), and check the Links page. There, there's a tutorial with links to programs, for making UMX file from MP3 and (especially) WAV files. Hope it helps.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Homeslice said:
Well, after a period of several frustrating attempts to accomplish this (on and off), I finally got it! I converted the first full UT2003 track into my own UT port. I'll try to use it in a future map (which I haven't even thought of a theme for yet), but when I do, is crediting the original author of the track enough? Or do I need their name as well?...

Also a good idea (a duty?) crediting the real author of content you didn't make but use. My question (a dumb one): exactly 'how' were you to credit the soundtrack's author without his name/nick/whatever ?
Also, if you already have the UMX done and ready to use, what's its size? Original OGG was what size? Can i use it too? (i know, i'm pushing it :p )

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Ok... i just noticed this is an 'undead-thread'... still, pertinent questions...