Serious Sam 3: BFE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
So I FINALLY got my HP laptop in and have been playing around with it for a little while. Versatile little bugger. If I have any complaint with it, it's that it doesn't double as a tablet as well.

One of the first things I did with it though is install some games in my Steam library that I couldn't run at all before with the crap Toshiba I was borrowing.

One of those was SS3. And after playing it for a good while, I really don't know why this didn't take off. I did a search in the Games forum here for Serious Sam or Serious Sam 3 but no one's made a topic at all for it.

And that really surprises me partly because of how utterly modifiable and replayable it is. I don't know if it's as modifiable as UT but I do know it's pretty darn close if anything else. It's got a full suite of single player and multiplayer options, a decent engine, a massive load of awesome weapons, great enemies, a full map-editor, and an incredibly powerful console. (sadly a rare sight in PC games these days) And it's cheap.

The only thing that seems to be missing from it is... the community. I mean it's there, but it's just a small core of players. So, in closing, guys this game is right up your alley. Why aren't you people playing this?

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I played through it. It certainly kept its mojo with the previous titles. It also didn't feel like it was borrowing too much of the old Serious Sam to dumb it down. Some of the grey-brown city levels and museum levels were weak, but it got much better as the game progressed. The final few levels were a blast with tons of enemies to fight, even if it took a while to get there. Croteam's quirky humor/secrets remain just as well as they did before. Great metal soundtrack gets you pumped before the big battles.

Probably what hurt it the most was the deathmatch. Coop for Serious Sam has always been fun, but having some poor default maps for player versus player probably set itself up to fail community content-wise, even with all the tools.

Got the DLC when it was on sale, but I honestly couldn't finish it through. I actually ran out of ammo too quick and was running in circles around the island shooting the pistol at walkers. Didn't feel like starting over or eventually fighting to the end.

I'd say given the old school back-to-basics shooters coming out recently, it is one of the better ones. It doesn't do anything Serious Sam did not do before, but it does it well. The new Shadow Warrior is really well done. Rise of The Triad needed a lot more polishing. I guess we will see if the new Wolfenstein flops or not.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I really enjoyed it, but I don't know what else to say about it. It runs on Linux.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Easily the most fun FPS game I've played in the last decade, every once in a while I just start Level 10 Nubia for some fun though since my rig upgrade I'm playing it much more.

I did hear how Deathmatch was damn off though (never played it): model bugs, those annoying smoke effects that block your view, the maps being bad overall, and the SledgeHammer which is fucking terrible in 3rd person view (don't even try to follow the 3rd person sledgehammer animations, they're just wrong).
At least it had Multiplayer, unlike some certain FPS games.

They also announced Serious Sam 4 already for end year.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I played through it. It certainly kept its mojo with the previous titles. It also didn't feel like it was borrowing too much of the old Serious Sam to dumb it down. Some of the grey-brown city levels and museum levels were weak, but it got much better as the game progressed. The final few levels were a blast with tons of enemies to fight, even if it took a while to get there. Croteam's quirky humor/secrets remain just as well as they did before. Great metal soundtrack gets you pumped before the big battles.

Probably what hurt it the most was the deathmatch. Coop for Serious Sam has always been fun, but having some poor default maps for player versus player probably set itself up to fail community content-wise, even with all the tools.

Got the DLC when it was on sale, but I honestly couldn't finish it through. I actually ran out of ammo too quick and was running in circles around the island shooting the pistol at walkers. Didn't feel like starting over or eventually fighting to the end.

I'd say given the old school back-to-basics shooters coming out recently, it is one of the better ones. It doesn't do anything Serious Sam did not do before, but it does it well. The new Shadow Warrior is really well done. Rise of The Triad needed a lot more polishing. I guess we will see if the new Wolfenstein flops or not.

Easily the most fun FPS game I've played in the last decade, every once in a while I just start Level 10 Nubia for some fun though since my rig upgrade I'm playing it much more.

I did hear how Deathmatch was damn off though (never played it): model bugs, those annoying smoke effects that block your view, the maps being bad overall, and the SledgeHammer which is fucking terrible in 3rd person view (don't even try to follow the 3rd person sledgehammer animations, they're just wrong).
At least it had Multiplayer, unlike some certain FPS games.

They also announced Serious Sam 4 already for end year.
Well, to be fair, Serious Sam never really did focus on Deathmatch at all anyway. For the first one, I know it was much more of a coop type experience.

I remember playing SS:TFE online back in the day and it was chaotically awesome. About 8 players all running around with miniguns and rocket launchers and who the heck knows what else with infinite ammo and lives and a bazillion enemies bearing down upon us all. Oh yeah, and friendly fire on too to mix things up a little. Can't forget that.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Oh, I only mentioned the deathmatch as something that probably held the community back. Dunno, maybe I am wrong and people could have made lots of nice custom COOP content.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
SS3 is pretty fun and the game is continuously updated from what I have seen. Was always hoping to get a good 16 player coop session going but could never wrangle up more than 2 buddies. So much missed potential there.

Only downside to the game(and not that big of deal) is that it is really slow getting going, but once you hit Level 5(The Silent Riddler) it starts to throw enemies at you like boom booms

Oh and I guess the game is a bit easy. Beat it on serious without too much trouble.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Played all the way through the single player campaign. Never tried multiplayer, though I was always curious if co-op was any fun.

Coop is the best part if you can find people to do it with.

In the first Serious Same encounters I saw it as almost a requirement. Some fights were so frustrating to do on your own on hard/serious, and all of that frustration evaporates in coop. Twice or three times as many enemies but with no real consequence for death or ammo. Just you and your friends unleashing waves of bullets and rockets at huge hordes charging at you.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Oh and I guess the game is a bit easy. Beat it on serious without too much trouble.

Actually, I think the reason for that is simply because of the additions of sprint and ADS for a couple hitscan weapons. You wouldn't think it but these additions do make the game easier. Now you can snipe enemies from afar without a sniper rifle with just the AR and pistol. And if enemies are getting too close, you can now just sprint away to a better vantage point.

And it's also surprising too because IMAO, these "CoD" elements as they are currently done in the game meld almost perfectly together with the existing SS formula really well. And the best thing is if you really wanted to, the game is so designed that you can ignore these elements completely and simply remove the bindings for sprint and alt-fire. There's even an achievement for completing the game the whole way like that.

-

One thing I really like to do with SS games is do a run on Tourist difficulty with one life and saving only allowed at the very beginning of a level. No brakes on the rape train!

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I completed Serious mode with 50% enemy strength boost some time ago. Goddamn the Minigun in Level 8 was fucking impossible and I had to hide myself in the building at the other end of the corridor.