Does Bulletstorm PC Use GFWL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What was wrong with CD Key + Safedisc v2? It made the discs difficult to copy (but not impossible) and protected the game and game servers with a CD key. If it's an SP game, who cares.

I had a friend who would borrow my Mechwarrior 2 CD just so he could run it on his computer then he would give it back and leave the game running for weeks while he played it. How do you plan to combat this form of piracy? MUAHAHA!

Also, did you guys see that Ubi backed down on it's DumbRM?

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
What was wrong with CD Key + Safedisc v2? It made the discs difficult to copy (but not impossible) and protected the game and game servers with a CD key. If it's an SP game, who cares.

There wasn't really anything wrong with that. SafeDisc was fine. SecuROM was/is terrible though.

I was just pointing out that CD keys alone don't stop casual copying.

Also, did you guys see that Ubi backed down on it's DumbRM?

Well... they're not fully backing down. Looks like they're just going to drop the system for games that have been out for a while. It sounds like they plan on using it in AC:Brotherhood later this year.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
My crystal ball's tech isn't teching. Does yours work better?

I wasn't the one making predictions!

Discourages it how? It's pretty easy to write down the key on a sticky note and include it with the burned copy.

Discourages - not prevents. I think we all agree that's impossible. Again, we're just talking about your average Joe here.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, I can only hope that Ubisoft ends up ditching it entirely. I have specifically not bought any of their DumbRM games because of it, but I might have bought AC2 over the holidays if I knew it was going to be turned off.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I pretty much shrugged off Conviction and AssCreed 2 specifically because of that DumbRM.
I haven't bought a single ubisoft game on any platform since they introduced that DRM.
I pity the fool who hasn't played Assassins Creed 2.
but this is not my Mr. T impression. I really feel like you're missing out.

AC2 was easily one of the top-5 games of both 2009 and 2010. assuming you're not going to pirate it, this is one of those rare gems that I'd seriously advise you to bite the bullet on. just buy it. get it somehow. play it. you won't be disappointed. it's more than playable; the DRM is not so horrendous in practice as it might have sounded in theory. the game's been patched several times as well.

and there's really no other game like it.
AC2 is just that good. I still play it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No game is good enough that it is worth having it stop running just because your connection drops.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Discourages - not prevents. I think we all agree that's impossible. Again, we're just talking about your average Joe here.

I think I misinterpreted what you're saying. However, I think Brizz made a good point in that you need something in addition to the cd-key to be really effective.

No game is good enough that it is worth having it stop running just because your connection drops.

:stupid:

(What he said)

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
unless the connection on your end is crap, that will never happen.

and if you're really that worried about it, then just pirate the game. it's so worth it.
the pirated version bypasses 100% of the DRM; you play offline, savegames are stored offline, all of the DLC is unlocked, you never have to connect to Ubisoft servers and you can play as long as you want.

AC2 is too good to pass up, imo.
either bite the bullet and pay for it or grow a pair torrent the thing in protest :p

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Well, we can all bitch about this and that.
But at the end of the day Epic, and all other game developers are part of a multi-million dollar business with shareholders and publishers that want to see their money well spent. Ofcourse such politics are often degenerating the gameplay experience by including DRM or annoying nannying software.
And people in charge rarely play games themselves.

All we as customers can do is bitch and moan, and hope they change their policies. I can imagine it's hard for companies to merge their love for game development and the reality of corporate strategies.

I see it more as an issue with the distribution channel rather than something the developer is responsible of.

We can call Epic sellouts, but didn't they gave us UDK? The very thing they use to build their AAA titles is now powering dozens of indie titles. Ofcourse from a business pov it benefits them aswell, but what doesn't?

The dropping of Linux support is a sad fact, but I wouldn't be surprized if there were business politics and patenting issues involved there aswell.
I can imaginge that releasing a system filled with propretiary software and 3rd party extensions isn't as easy to just port to a FOSS OS as it might first appear.

Oh, and GFWL is awful, it should die a slow and painful death! :lol:

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I can imaginge that releasing a system filled with propretiary software and 3rd party extensions isn't as easy to just port to a FOSS OS as it might first appear.

Not really, non-OSS software just can't be installed into default Linux installations, and nobody is going to do that with retail games. So it's just like any other program, although they do have to get permission from a lot of companies I guess.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
unless the connection on your end is crap, that will never happen.

and if you're really that worried about it, then just pirate the game. it's so worth it.
the pirated version bypasses 100% of the DRM; you play offline, savegames are stored offline, all of the DLC is unlocked, you never have to connect to Ubisoft servers and you can play as long as you want.

AC2 is too good to pass up, imo.
either bite the bullet and pay for it or grow a pair torrent the thing in protest :p
Well, I rented it for 360 and when it's on sale on Steam again I'll buy it on PC. I haven't finished it yet, though. I have Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands, and my ISP went down for three hours while I was playing it. I got a screen that said "Internet connection interrupted". I couldn't even legitimately quit the game, I had to end the process in Task Manager!,, lol:mad: