Shin Megami Tensei/Megaten Games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
On the plus side, he looks really cool and his theme music is totally awesome
LOLWUT

His name is pretty funny too. "I am Beelzebub, ruler of death and warden of souls". :lol: Bumblebee would be more threatening. It looks like the challenge is really in the prerequisites to fight him? Otherwise, looks like any other turn-based fighter to me.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
LOLWUT

His name is pretty funny too. "I am Beelzebub, ruler of death and warden of souls". :lol: Bumblebee would be more threatening. It looks like the challenge is really in the prerequisites to fight him? Otherwise, looks like any other turn-based fighter to me.

Believe, I know how the game looks like a standard turn-based JRPG thing. And while Nocturne is based on traditional gameplay of that genre, it deviates in a lot of ways. The Press Turn System and the Fusion system are a couple of big highlights.

Garnering the prerequisites to fighting Beelzebub is only a small part of the challenge (at that point in the game you probably have the characters to fight him). The cursed hallway that deals a ton of damage to you every step before you get to him (and has random encounters with tough enemies) is a test on your resource handling; and the actual fight is a pain because even with protection from his insta-death move he still deals a crap-ton of damage and you have play smart to actually beat him.

He's easy compared to the other two bosses (especially the Demi-Fiend in DDS), but the beauty of SMT games is they aren't all about gearing up before the fight. The actual battles are a challenge.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Man I wish I had the SMT Beelzebub action figure. That's how a Beelzebub from Christian myth should be, not like that loser from SOTN.

And I wish Atlus would make a new SMT game
Demons/Gods from various mythologies > Pokemon

Yet nothing beats good ol' Jade Cocoon's fusion system.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I dont like the pokemon syste min SMT, the valkyrie games are more to my liking.