More character push

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you want momentum back in weapon hits?

• Total voters

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
One thing that bothers me the most about 2k4 since the ragdoll system was instituted is player push/knockback from weapons. Even in the original UT if you got hit by a rox you would travel a ways and it would also be affected by your direction of travel.

Example: In UT if you hit someone in the air with a rocket or flak shell they would fly pretty far in the opposite direction of the hit. If it was at their feet while they were mid-jump/dodge it would give them quite the upward momentum as well.
In 2k4 when you air rox someone or air flak them they will dorp like a stone. No matter what direciton they are traveling in, they will stop all forward/backward momentum and drop straight down. Even if you hit them dead on while running with a rox at close range it just seems to piff off their body like you just hit em' with a spitball.

Even shock hits used to give quite a push in the old days compared to now.

LETS USE THAT PHYSICS ENGINE BOYZ!

I miss the days of trying to juggle people and whatnot. I'd like to see something of this nature back in the game.

Last edited:

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
I will say NO. Why?

1. If you get hit once you will be more likely to be hit in succession since the push takes control away from you (see SR effect)

2. I dont want the game to turn into quake arena where you constantly try to lift ppl of the ground with a rocket so you can get a second easy hit on the spot where they land.

3. I feel like saying NO today (the most important reason of all)

--Under

Underestimated user
Mar 21, 2004
. I dont want the game to turn into quake arena where you constantly try to lift ppl of the ground with a rocket so you can get a second easy hit on the spot where they land.

If you like ut2004... .well its does this...

I very often hit someone leggs with a rocket shot then finish their flyng body with an easy lg shot.

i can send you a movie if you want

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Kafros-:

1) You've always had kickback from the Shock rifle, no surprises.
2) That 'feature' is in 2k3 and 2k4 and even UT, it's an FPS skill, not a game specific thing.
3) Pinkleberries.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
edhe:

1) I know. I didn't say it is a surprise
2) UT had it applified UT200x did not. Yes you do lift but not in such a way as to do a parabolic arc
3)what are these?

winx:
Yes, do send me a movie. I want Lord of the Siths episode III please

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It happens now, it's just realated directly to how much damage you do.

Take a 60pt rocket to the feet, and you will fly up, enough to then follow with air rox.

Yeah, I want it to stay.

momentum makes a difference too... I haven't done much triangulating in experiments with it to test, but I know if I'm on one side of a gap, and my target dodges at me, a rocket stops them, as can a beam. If we are on the same side of a gap, he dodges away, and I hit them with the same fire, they fly twice as far.

SG pushes you the same distance, only to have targets current momentum effect the direction of that push by a couple degrees. It's a sharper push, because it's more damage.

You don't feel it as much in regular games, with un-armored opponents, becuase they can't take enough damage to make it happen like it can. They die from 150 damage, so people rarely feel the push of an SG shot, or a fully loaded goo shot, which can throw somone a crazy distance.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I think, either i'm mis-interpreting what boogy means or everyone else is. :S

I thought boogy was reffering to the push back a player gets AFTER they died. That a shock to the face makes a player drop like a stone, not launch them backflipping against the wall like you'd expect.

That's atleast what i thought he meant and mostly it's because i want exactly the same thing.

I think the ingame player push back for weapons is just about right it's just wierd when you kill a guy with a massive explosion and their corpse just drops through the explosion rather than get flung away.

(.... It'd be really nice if propelled corpses could do a bit of damage if you manage to punt them hard enough into other players, that'd rock so much, even if it were the usual 5 PT mario Stomping type damage.)

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
No I mean during gameplay as well. If you get hit with a rox in the air that doest kill you it should seem like you just ogt blasted with a pretty strong force. I don't mean like Quake where it will pop you up in straight line pretty much making it very easy to air rox and even juggle an opponent with multiple ones. Well in the promode (cpma) mod it does that. Thestock Quake3 "pushing" isn't as bad as that. I just wanna see some of the physics everyone is always raving about used properly. Painkiller during the single player does an excellent job of using force momentum in the havok engine. I never realized how much UT's physics really lick a fat one until I played that.

Last edited:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
-AEnubis- said:
It happens now, it's just realated directly to how much damage you do.

Not really. Sniper Rifle/LG barely move you if at all. I say bring back the old rapid-fire sniper that knocked you back 10 feet when you got shot.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
it would be nice to see some proper transfer of momentum in ut2007 for all things, explosions,vehicle collisions, falling and hitting people with enforcer,it will help to reduce the floaty feeling in the game without restricting movement too much, hopefully you'll still be ablt to do thatstanding corpse kill with the minigun/link!

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
BooGiTyBoY said:
In 2k4 when you air rox someone or air flak them they will dorp like a stone. No matter what direciton they are traveling in, they will stop all forward/backward momentum and drop straight down.

That's exactly what I hate about splash damage in UT2k4. Whenever someone gets hit by splash damage from beneath them when they're airborn...they just drop. I mean, what the hell?

Voted yes. I'm really looking forward to what novodex can do to enhance our beloved game.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well, that is different entirely. Routinely, if an object can pass through another, the velocity is so intense that is simply destorys, or splits whatever is in it's path, and hence wouldn't move it at all. Kinda like the "sharp samurai sword" cutting so fast that bleeding doesn't even happen immediately, let alone dismemberment.

Q3 had a "push effect" from all damage. Its not fun, especially with some of their silly bouncy maps. You can wrong place people with just the machine gun.