CryEngine 3 VS. Unreal Engine 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
PlayStation Universe has an article that attempts to resolve an age-old question - which developer's engine is better? In the Red Corner, we have Crytek's CryEngine 3, and in the Blue Corner, we have Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3.

With the Unreal Engine 3, developers have access to a wide collection of 3D party plug-ins including FaceFX, SpeedTree, and Morpheme. These partnerships with 3rd party software developers allows Epic's engine to support many world class simulators and sandbox creation and editor tools. For example, studios using Unreal Engine 3 have access NVIDIA PhysX, which offers cloth and destructibility physics, as well as Autodesk Kynapse, which handles complex AI.

On the flip side, Crytek built nearly all CryEngine 3 tools and editors in-house. Boasting everything from Ocean Wave Technology to CryPhysics, Crytek has created an engine built for complex simulations and visual prowess. What was once king of high-end PC gaming, will now be enjoyed on your PS3. Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli stated that CryEngine 3 is "not just a little improvement upon CryEngine 2, it's actually a significant rewrite towards a console engine."

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Hmm...it's a bit uneven isn't it?:rolleyes:
CryEngine 3 calculates a lot of things at realtime where the Unreal Engine 3 needs to go step by step.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Both have their perks and their downers.

If you want gritty urban dirt style go with UE3

If you want the best looking vegetation and jungles go with Cryengine.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I hate to say it, but those by those screenshots I'd say Cryengine looks better in most categories.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
i think that neither of these engines will turn out to be the dominant lisenced engine in the long run. i have a feeling that id Tech 5 will come out on top. i have not seen id advertise their new technology like this before. showing the engine/ Rage running on almost every platform. i think that texture stamping is going to be a god send for artists in combination with megatextures for terrain (which i think will be much better than ETQW) will allow a lot more control.

id seems to finially be focusing on a better UI for their tools and better tools themselves. i've always fealt that engines from id Software were a bit more solid for lack of a better term, that my video card wasn't screaming in pain. DOOm 3 was able to run on surprisingly low hardware requirements and look really good for its time, and the game still looks good of course. Crytek seems to operate with no regard for what hardware people have in their PC. CryEngine 2 is amazing don't get me wrong but the game ran poorly on two highend previous generation cards in SLI which i think should never be the case. you should aim for that previous generation so that people who just upgraded aren't the only ones enjoying high framerates. i had two 7900 GTX 512mb cards btw when Crysis was released.

one of the reasons i think id Software will beat out EPIC is mainly because every engine they leapfrog each other. they've been doing it for a decade. i could be completely wrong but considering how much time has gone by the levels in hell in DOOM 3 are not far from waht EPIC was showing in the Hollow in Gears 2. maybe it was the platform EPIC chose, I'm not sure but I don't see that huge lead EPIC had with Unreal Engine 2 over the Quake III Arena engine.

just my opinion, pretty much based on my own speculation. :) the great thing is there will be no shortage of options for developers to choose from and i'm sure there will be many cases of this engine si better for game A over game B which means better games as a result.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
So, they're comparing an engine with 3 years of commercial success (85 titles released and/or announced), with one that's not even out yet?! :rolleyes:

It gets worse.. This is a quote from the news link:
CryEngine wins hands down in my opinion. The textures---

Yes, because the ENGINE is surely responsible for the resolution and smoothness of textures used in a game, right?
The amount of idiocy in the comments there is downright staggering.

I hate to say it, but those by those screenshots I'd say Cryengine looks better in most categories.
Possibly because the images they use of the UE3 are lackluster.

The first image shows CE3's hdr/eye adjusting in a tropic env VS a ... generically lighted tropic env?

The CE3 picture of a castle'esque building up close with water in front is compared to a... bridge with background buildings?

The CE3 outside picture of a building and backdrop is compared to.. An inside view of an open atrium? (the CE3 picture here looks HORRIBLE btw, imho)

The CE3 picture of face models on green back is compared to... the flyby cutscene in GoW's intro?

The CE3 picture of gravel/ground is compared to a... GoW MG?

Seriously, these comparisons are ****.
I'll give you two guesses as to which company pumped money up PSUniverse's keister in return for obvious bull****ty marketing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
- Jes - discovers the internet.

Yea, they are stupid :) The site is too, because since when does a map from UT3, a multiplayer online shooter, accurately compares to an offline tech demo chock full of detail? :) Never is the answer.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
This comparisson is so ridiculous that I wonder why this is even worth putting front page :p

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Armagon917: don't know about that. Both idTech 3 and 4 haven't been very successful w.r.t. licensing to 3rd parties.

idTech 4: only 1 3rd party game: Prey
idTech 3: not more than 15

Maybe idTech5 will change that.

Also the difference between Doom 3 and GoW1 is quite large. But yes, id and epic seem to alternate in engine generations. UE3 is getting mature, and the new kid on the block will be idTech5. But right now, there is no idTech5 to be licensed, and UE3 is here to be used. I don't know how well idTech5 will cater the next generation of console hardware. But by the time idTech5 is released the next generation of consoles will be in development, and so will UE4.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Who cares about this comparison. At least I can run UE3 games on my PC very well and that's enough.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Perhaps not but that doesn't mean either engine can even do half of those things on consoles with decent frame rates :p We know Unreal can't and the cry engine just might be able to :) Not counting on it though.

Also the pictures on the site are a tad unfair... Most of the cry engine screenshots are from tech demos, of course they are going to look better.