The Next Unreal Tournament will be Great

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Hindsight, if your post had a point, I missed it; I thought it was gibberish. I suggest carefully rewording it so that it is not nonsensical.

You can bind sentences and orders to a key with the console command
setbind G sendtoconsole say "type in sentence here"
You can put that in your binary folder inside a text document so that you don't have to retype that in the console the whole time.

UT4 needs it's own battle.net 2.0/Xfire/Garena type thing not Gamespy.
Instead of haveing to rely on 3rd party proggies including IRC, forums etc the whole time to organise matches, chat and meet people.

Take a match of Dota on a battle.net for example and lets compare it to a 5 vs 5 VCTF in UT3.

On official battle.net if you want a quick pug. You go to custom map then create game. You select the map and host. Game fills up and there you go.
5 vs 5 Dota match lasting anywhere from 35-70 mins.
I kinda want to be able to do something like this for VCTF where you know you'll have your 5 vs 5 match without anyone else joining and making team numbers unfair.

I'll post about why I mentioned Garena later.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
You can bind sentences and orders to a key with the console command
setbind G sendtoconsole say "type in sentence here"
You can put that in your binary folder inside a text document so that you don't have to retype that in the console the whole time.

Thanks for the tip; I did not know that. But what if I want to bind a voice taunt or voice command ("Defend the Base", "Cover me")? People might not notice a "Cover me" typed out but they'll hear "Cover me".

UT4 needs it's own battle.net 2.0/Xfire/Garena type thing not Gamespy. Instead of haveing to rely on 3rd party proggies including IRC, forums etc the whole time to organise matches, chat and meet people.

Take a match of Dota on a battle.net for example and lets compare it to a 5 vs 5 VCTF in UT3.

On official battle.net if you want a quick pug. You go to custom map then create game. You select the map and host. Game fills up and there you go.
5 vs 5 Dota match lasting anywhere from 35-70 mins.

You know, I've been about buying Starcraft. I got into Sins of a Solar Empire six months ago and it was my first RTS and I've been wondering what I've been missing all this time. I get the impression that Battle.net rocks.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
garena.jpg

Ok this is why I mentioned Garena. It has almost everything I wish UT3 and every other game had. Wish Ut3 was on it, would be interesting as hell to see what would happen.

First off notice how it's devided
Asian
Europe
America
International
Oceana
Korea
Greater China

The people who designed Garena was ingenious. They solved about 90% of what pc games today are missing multiplayer wise.
Exspecially the two main key elements:
Location and Commuication
I just made that up :D
Oh and the power to play the game how you want to without being dependant on other people, host companies, the ability to organise clannies, make friends, play with friends, test out new maps etc.

Now here's the current situation with CTF. I filtered it to not show empty servers.
CurrentSituation.jpg

Btw where are those servers located?
My opinion is that everything has become to dependant on dedicated servers. Dedicated servers or "rented servers" are expensive to maintain and
should be mainly used for situations where you want a high player count match like for instance 24 man Warfare and those are no fun until they reach a specific player count. What happens alot is that when everyone becomes dependant on these dedicated servers that only one or two games of a certain genre will survive when admins start leaving, older games get recycled to make space for new ones.

In South Africa for example COD4 killed COD2 totally.
The ratio of the servers is now 20-2 immediately destroying the game for some since it's not possbile anymore to play their gametypes. Forcing all to go the COD4 route and asking themselves and in the forums. Is this game dead? Anyone still playing? Where in Garena this question is immediately answered by going into the repspective Game Room.

Edit : I just realised Trackmania is a great example of how it should be done

Last edited:

Sys-X

Commercialized Killer !!!
Mar 22, 2006
Netherlands
+1

I have bought 8 copies. The last 4 were super cheap, but 2 of the metal box and one regular at original price. It's still cheap. your only talking $100-$200 for many thousands of hours of eventual game use. No matter what you paid it was free. Same deal with Ut2K4, think about it, a game played for several years. Just talking money is real silly. This is such a really great experience playing online. But to each their own, I just cannot understand why are so many so hostile? Why is there such an anti UT3?

Rlly not a personal attack on you but you can't compare hours playtime ut2004 vs ut3 not when you are a online player because hardly anyone plays the game online all I see are empty servers or servers with high pings.

And I live in the NL too and euro's are very active online gamers and distances are not that huge compared to the US.
With ut2004 I can easily join 20+ servers and the clanbase activity is very high too compared to ut3.

Not to bash ut3 but it's a fact I can't deny, so I will never be able to get those hours of playtime in my entire life at this rate comparing to my played hours in ut2004

And the fact so many are anti ut3 is because it's a half finished game, patch support is slow because we have console versions too, ui, lack of options, gamespy, broken features, crippled release (betademo with more maps and gametypes) and alot more...

I can live with certain flaws but when the game has more cons then pro's it's just not gonna get accepted by the average ut player and me included, only good thing in ut3 is DM and the concept of war.

Also I like to see them focus more on community features ala steam..

imho....

Last edited:

Softice/MASM reverse engineer
Dec 29, 2003
The Netherlands
www.6000068.tk
Some people are thick, Brizz. Really. :p

I spent $60 on UT3. And I don't regret it for a second. What I DO regret is that people are so shortsighted that they can't forgive the game's flaws and just play the damn thing. Because underneath the niggling issues and sticking points is still a damn solid game.

Oh i couldnt agree more here! I spend 55 euro for it and hell i not regret it.. i simply LOVE the unreal engine coders (for many years now) and i even love (most) of the community more.

One drawback... the (few) cocky people.. annoying (unfair and weak) admins... and the deafmute epic volunteer team... omg omg omg...

Anyhow.. i wish the same.. lets dream and hope and WISH that epic will release an addon... more maps... refined models... whatever they can come up with.. i will buy it~!

P.s. i think many people are anti-UT3 cause they cannot run the game (which sucks)... and not forget the game menu... or the fact that people cannot vent themselfs about bugs or such on the epic forums.

Last edited:

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Next UT game should have UT1 cyberpunk/gothic/nali -style, and also be fully customizable, like Adobe products (and even more). Also file structures/configuration files should be more organized (plz no UTGame/CookedPC/Published-like folders and plz no XBOX720/PS4 stuff in PC config)

Also they should make gametypes like AS/DOM/BR and let community to make maps for them.

Good server filter: I dont want to see ultra-instagib-lowgravity-matrixmoves mutated servers on DM-OMG-2014-Andaction-rEMAKE maps; also, I want to see nwCTF, DOM and BR in one tab (by editing *.ini). I dont think its hard to code. *cough* AllSeeingEye *cough* HLSW *cough*

And also in-game clanmatch organizer — that would make CW battles more popular and easier to organize (not only clanwars — also rare mods public matches, like DOM and JB) *cough* steam community* cough

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Thanks for the tip; I did not know that. But what if I want to bind a voice taunt or voice command ("Defend the Base", "Cover me")? People might not notice a "Cover me" typed out but they'll hear "Cover me".
Who needs voice-commands and text-chat when there's built-in VoIP-support any way ? ;)

... I get the impression that Battle.net rocks.
after years and years of development it better rock.
Back in the early days (Diablo 2) Batte.Net was a chat-program that sometimes allowed you to setup and play a game because the servers couldn't handle the playercounts it was required to handle.
which makes me wonder why companies that aren't as big as Google or Microsoft even want to attempt to develop such systems (and fail because no one expected the server-load that a succesfull launch would cause ... ).

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
If they admit that things could have been better and promise that they will make up for it in the next edition we would probably not have to listen to all the whining all the time...

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
There isn't going to be a next UT, unless 'we' make it ourselves (as a TC for the current -and last- UT). And that's the truth.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If Epic isn't continually reminded of UT3's problems it's possible that they could repeat the debacle with UT4 (if there even is a UT4 for the PC).
Why would that even be remotely true? Might it not be a bit more practical to "remind them" once you know that UT4 is even coming?