The Next Unreal Tournament will be Great

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
UT4 is like WW4, it will never happen ... oops.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Perhaps Epic did a strategical mistake releasing Unreal Engine 3 as Unreal Tournament 3 instead of Unreal 3. If they made a real nice singleplayer game first, there would have been lots of stringent critic to make an excellent arena type shooter out of it as Unreal Tournament 3 deserves to be.

I bet if they did Unreal 3 now, it would end up being a bunch of cinematic fluff. It would be just like Gears of War. A lot of Unreal fans would be angry.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Oh my lands, I hope you are joking.

UT3 HAS MORE FOCUS ON GAMEPLAY AND LEVEL CREATION :shake: Why the crap do you think the UI is "lacking"? They spent no time there!
But UT1 has more awesomeness.

I bet if they did Unreal 3 now, it would end up being a bunch of cinematic fluff. It would be just like Gears of War. A lot of Unreal fans would be angry.
Exactly. Keep good old (awesome) Unreal at the right hands, the community (indirect hint at Sir_Brizz).

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I actually didn't play much of it at all. Only the regular maps, to get through the ladder.

Functional maps can't be made by users? That's an issue if so. Did that go for UT as well?

My framework argument for bombing run and domination is still valid. If assault can be made functional for custom maps then we would like to have that at our disposal also.
It already is functional ... at least when compared to the objects/features available in UT2k3.
Just take a warfare-level, connect all nodes in a straight line and add a trigger that spawns an orb at last activated node so a team can instantly activate the next one.

It's simple to do the necessary stuff,...
the problem with assault never was and never will be in the rules for they gametype.
The real issue is that it is broken gametype.
Fixing it resulted in what now is called 'Warfare'/Onslaught.

Another question that just popped out of my mind. Did Unreal and UT2k3 have fundamental issues that made it impossible to make some modifications?
The only fundamental issue (as far as Epics' responsibility is concerned) that prevented some modifications was a lack of information on some parts of the game.
As the Infiltration-team proved ... anything can be done if you have the right people and the attitude to match.

Would you buy an UT3 Assault Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Assault?
Would you buy an UT3 Boming Run Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Bombing run?
Would you buy an UT3 Domination Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Domination?
That kind of thinking only works for consoles ... pc-gamers are so used to getting free stuff that it would be stupid for a company to attempt this.

If the game involved competitions and huge audience with sports gambling and well payed players, how much difference could that really make?
*if* I had a billion dollars I'd be rich.

UT as a series never really had that and it never will have a huge audience unless it changes it core game-rules to match the likes of Battlefield/TeamFortress.
That would be require either a class-based variant or at the very least no resource gathering for basic weapons&gear.

Never mind that no computergame ever manages to support gambling and playing for money simply because society still thinks of games being made for little kids.

I bet if they did Unreal 3 now, it would end up being a bunch of cinematic fluff. It would be just like Gears of War. A lot of Unreal fans would be angry
And a million more would fall in love with the new style ... only to be driven away by the endless "it be consolized"-threads posted by the old folks with nothing better to do than beating a dead horse.

Last edited:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Some people are thick, Brizz. Really. :p

I spent $60 on UT3. And I don't regret it for a second. What I DO regret is that people are so shortsighted that they can't forgive the game's flaws and just play the damn thing. Because underneath the niggling issues and sticking points is still a damn solid game.

+1

I have bought 8 copies. The last 4 were super cheap, but 2 of the metal box and one regular at original price. It's still cheap. your only talking $100-$200 for many thousands of hours of eventual game use. No matter what you paid it was free. Same deal with Ut2K4, think about it, a game played for several years. Just talking money is real silly. This is such a really great experience playing online. But to each their own, I just cannot understand why are so many so hostile? Why is there such an anti UT3?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Because UT3 let down a lot of the hardcore supporters of the series.
The people that had been playing UT99, 2k4 (forgave epic for 2k3), etc and eagerly waited for UT3 to go back to the game's roots.

Instead, what it did was drop some of the advertised features, focus on high-end graphics and arguably weapon balance, and cripple the modding community by 1) lack of documentation and 2) not even enabling some of the basic modding features such as voicepacks, models, skins, etc.

Some of these are understandeable (such as the skins: because of the way normal maps are now incorporated into models it will be much harder to just make a simple skin) or fixed later on, but nonetheless they disappointed a lot of the playerbase. In short, they released the game unfinished, or at least not up to it's own standard.

And unfortunately, those active/dedicated players are the vocal ones.
They are the ones discussing this game on forums, IRC, etc.
They are the ones creating mods, hosting servers, organising competitions, mapping, etc.
They are the ones buying on release and not just torrenting first.

Sure, the new players that never played unreal before might love every bit of this game, but they don't know any better.

They don't know how a proper mouse aiming system without fps-dependency feels.
They don't know that voicepacks were even possible before.
They don't miss assault, BR and Ddom because they never played them.

They get a good shooter plus some modding/custom content tools.
We get a good shooter minus all the things that made it great.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Eight copies! Any chance you will throw a LAN party anytime soon?

Seriously, I was thinking about buying the Collector's Edition again when it was $15. The deal is off now, some other store probably bought them all, selling them for three times the price.

About that mouse aiming, it feels off from time to time, real hard to hit because models are thin, wiggly and bouncy. It takes practice and experience to get the job done.

DarQraven, you're spot on.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
And a million more would fall in love with the new style ... only to be driven away by the endless "it be consolized"-threads posted by the old folks with nothing better to do than beating a dead horse.

A million more xbox players :lol:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Why not close the official forum when there ain't nothing else but complaints? Maybe allow map releases and just delete everything else.

You must love UT3 real bad if you buy it for your friends and colleagues. Please play with me! Oh, please! Perhaps a good idea, but kind of desperate and it probably won't do the trick unless you somehow make them feel guilty for not playing the game with you.

People on forums can be complete idiots too. Most people fall for that because they can't play the game while reading about it. It's like talking behind someones back. If people are having a bad life, they will continuously badmouth anything they wish they could like. No game released is ever perfect. It will have it's hype and then it will grow old. At least Epic is patching their games, some games don't even last long enough for a second update. Also, even if people hate the game they are still into it. Nagging about it.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Epic have probably matured and moved past foul language. No more combo whoring with the Shock Rifle. That ridiculous part of UT2k4 was great thou, much more relaxed.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Go on, keep sliding off the topic.

Next thread started will be named "UT3 is better than your girlfriend" and it will be hilarious even if it ain't funny.

The next UT will feature... wait a minute, why release so many half done games? Normal companies don't even try it. There is no difference between the UT3 we play now and the beta demo we tried before.

FikusErectus

Jul 12, 2008
UT3 is a failure. Just look at the lack of players. Epic botched the release. The game had some serious issues until the 1.3 patch that in the end was released too many months after launch. People didn't want to wait for these fixes so they moved on. They will never come back now.

Epic has already stated that UT 4 or whatever they call it will be primarily a console game with a PC version to launch many months after the consoles. Epic has put PC development on the back burner. How many of you have played a game designed for a console that was ported to the PC? That type of development rarely works out for PC games.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
There probably won't be another UT, at least not one that's actually any good. If it happens at all it'll probably be made for consoles and the PC players will be lucky to even get a straight port.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
UT3 is a failure. Just look at the lack of players. Epic botched the release. The game had some serious issues until the 1.3 patch that in the end was released too many months after launch. People didn't want to wait for these fixes so they moved on. They will never come back now.

Epic has already stated that UT 4 or whatever they call it will be primarily a console game with a PC version to launch many months after the consoles.

lol wut? They were talking about UE4. And even then it was barely hinted.