BioShock 2 Gameplay Footage

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Armagon917, you seem to forget that games (and computer graphics in general) are where they are because of consoles. The PC was the gaming platform until PS2 and X-Box first came out.

back in the early days yes consoles helped spur things along. that has not been the case for a long time. would you humor me and tell me where the latest, powerful hardware shows up first? am i missing your point?

i don't think the RSX graphics chip made things possible for this generation but was more an adoption of exhisting tech over on PC. :) seriously am i missing something on this particular point?

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
You mean like Doom 2?

Actually, I think they would do better to make their priority creating solid, fleshed-out games with lots of depth, rather than focusing on just making an omgwow graphics blast that gets old after half and hour. Look at Deus Ex and the System Shock games. They were a little behind as far as graphical splendor goes, but they were arguably some of the best PC games ever made.

But then, if they're developing with console sales in mind, they're probably not going to end up doing either of those :(

right on. DOOM 2 was not what'd i say a pretty expansion pack. it had a double barrel shotgun and quite posssible the coolest reload sound EVAR! so its clearly a sequel. :)

i agree i would like to see in depth gameplay become more important. but while everyone is scrambling to make the best looking game why not really push things. just make a PC build with those 2048 X 2048 textures (that i know exhist, dammit) and let the console players have their compressed stuff. :lol:

Last edited:

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
back in the early days yes consoles helped spur things along. that has not been the case for a long time. would you humor me and tell me where the latest, powerful hardware shows up first? am i missing your point?

i don't think the RSX graphics chip made things possible for this generation but was more an adoption of exhisting tech over on PC. :) seriously am i missing something on this particular point?

No, the consoles had hardware unavailable on PC when they first came out. The PS3 has a nVidia 8xxx series graphics card (probably 8800GTX) and that was not for sale back then. I think the same goes for the 360, but I'm not interested in either a M$ or a AMD product.

But seriously, have you looked at the latest hardware? It's still the same thing with a different cover and a bit overclocked, except for the nVidia 2xx series. Where are the DX11 cards? What if they were available? M$ said that DX10 cards will be compatible with DX11 games, so that means LITTLE improvement over the existing technology. We have Pixel Shader 3.0 for a long time now and there's little addition in terms of graphics effects and that's not because of the consoles.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
That Bioshock 2 doesn't look leaps and bounds better than the original has nothing to do with consoles. COD 4 looks AMAZINGLY better than COD2 and they were both developed with consoles in mind. The difference is in the time being spent on the game (case in point: COD 3 looks exactly like COD2, only it's less fun). They could have the game come out sooner and use the same engine with a few fun flourishes or they could wait another year or so to develop the crap out of the tech. Either way the game is going to sell like gangbusters and if they didn't spend the extra time and money, it = more profit.

Oh, and it looks pretty good, but count me confused when the massive drill was hotswitched with the shotgun. How the hell does one carry a GIANT drill anyways. Does that have a strap or something?

~Jason

drakon

Introverted™
Jan 20, 2008
According to Gametrailers, the player has been turned into a Big Daddy and is sent to deal with the Big Sister. So I guess the player has the ability to carry a drill the same way the Big Daddies from the 1st game had that ability. Edit: The drill is detachable, btw.

Don't know if that makes sense :p

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47818.html

Last edited:

Quaglax

May the funk be with you...
Apr 25, 2006
ATL
The first Bioshock was incredible...but this isnt doing anything for me at all. It basically looks and sounds (from what I've read so far) that it should be Bioshock 1.5....not Bioshock 2.