Major UE3 Upgrades Debut At GDC '09

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Hmm... quite clear that I didn't have my morning coffee when I read your post and wrote the reply.

(ps. Concerning the last part of the linked response. I wasn't saying you said anything like that. I was just elaborating my remark concerning the $10m).

no problem, so many angles to the point i was trying to make. i misinterprate often myself.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
The Unreal Engine has developed alot since UT3 and this is where the old technology example comes in from Armagon917. If we dont get a chance to use the technology we dont get a chance to show what we can do with it and those wanting a way into the industry wont get a chance.

shine on you crazy diamond. right on. its not enough that developers get the technology. its a situation where the technology remains in the industry only because the only other option here is to licence the technology which is completely unrealistic for your average mod team/ mapper.

new features are so important because i would love to remake Slaughterhouse for UT3 CTF using soft body physics for all the hanging meat found in the UT2004 variant. this feature could also be applied to toxic waste in DM-Deck and things like Lava. Hell because of advanced physics a team at Digipen created "Narbacular Drop" a precursor to Portal. Most of the team i believe got hired at Valve with a specific functionality of Source the core of their game made Portal and we all know how well that did.

i think not only EPIC but in general more attention and support needs to be sent to the mod community. the question is how long will PC remain relevant enough in developers eyes anyways that they will take the time. if not they shoot themselves in the foot when they need talent to expand or get a new team together for project B. well i've got some 3ds Max renders... whats a mover? you ahve to remember there is new talent looking into game development right now. an overreaction now but not looking at the current trend down the road i believe there could be huge problems.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Unless something weird is happening the PC will remain relevant because that's also the system people are developing games on. Despite that the game will eventually only run on a console. Where the problem is, specially in relation to artists, is that if the studios do not provide dev tools for their games, they will have a more difficult job to find trained artists (specially LDs). Because it doesn't help much if you can create nice things in 3dsmax or maya if you can't create something that will run on the console the studio is targetting.

Anyway, I think that in the future you'll see console games with dev tools that can be used on the PC (probably only for the PS3 because the rest is closed for consumers). For example. Imagine there is no UT3 for PC. The UT3 for PS3 disk would contain unrealed. You simply "install" unrealed and the assets on the PC (directly from the bluray disk), develop your levels in unrealed, and do some "PIE" testing. Then export the stuff to be play tested on the PS3.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
seems it's more stuff for the devs than for the end-user (except the new lightning thing). I hope that UT3's version of Ued will benefit from those updates.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
New editor features look pretty exciting. Bad thing is we probably never get these improvements for UT3.