3D Realms Shuts Down, Duke's Fate Unclear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
ShackNews is reporting tonight that less than a month after George Broussard declared Duke Nukem Forever nearly complete, 3D Realms is closing its doors. Take Two Interactive issued a statement to G4 that, while they retained the publishing rights, the DNF project funding was not part of their agreement with 3D Realms.

...we can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title. In addition, Take-Two continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever

So what does this all mean for the UE powered Duke? Who the hell knows?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Holy crap. No matter what you think of Duke Nukem Forever 3D Realms (aka Apogee) shutting it's doors is possibly the biggest blow the game industry has taken in quite some time. I'm still finding it a little unbelievable, personally!

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
[CALIBUR];2289977 said:
its Dead Total Dead, The End.... Who gives a flying F..k about it Really!

It seems a lot of people who are tired of the bland, boring and sub-quality FPS games that came out in the last years.
Their forums (at the time of this posts) have too many connections to be reached or show a database-eroor.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Nooooooooooooooooooo! Please tell me this is a bad dream, they cant do this to us especially not after all these years of hype!

Cant say I didnt warn you though, entertainment is hard enough without all the delays and bad market duke's had to endure.

Well what we got, both Duke and MK out on the open market... Wheres the people with all the money? Quick sell your lambo's and cash in now, seriously... Nintendo is only what it is today because of its franchises.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nooooooooooooooooooo! Please tell me this is a bad dream, they cant do this to us especially not after all these years of hype!

What years of hype? They've had Prey in 10 years of development, not to mention how long they've been working on Duke Nukem 4E here-and-there. Years of Hype?

Yeah, they're historical in therm of gaming, but bad ****s happen, kinda like Rare before Microfag Game$ bought them.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Im just saying every time this game is set to see the light of day something like this happens, some of us are old enough to remember the initial announcements. I certainly dont mind waiting like I did with max payne but this kinda thing, oh it kills you from the inside out. Id just rather be a cynic these days when it comes to the topic of DNF, Ive had my heart broken too many times already hehe

It sucks hey, a true icon shutting its doors :( I had alot of love for Midway as well, look what happened there. There is a major shift though, I knew somethin was on its way. Its almost like the 7yr rains or somethin, you can smell it in the air :p

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
3DRealms never hyped anything. The hype was all natural. It's a real shame seeing 3DRealms disappear. But when you think about it, they didn't create much after Duke3D. They helped create stuff, that creative power isn't going to disappear.

I wonder want will happen to all "IP" of 3DRealms.