BU Podcast: Episode Four Now Available!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
[GU]elmur_fud;2608817 said:
Simple. The gameplay mechanics need tweaked on a per gametype basis or perhaps a per map basis.

You mean between gametypes (or maps) your jump heights and speed and stuff is different? Can't see that ever working, pros would moan about it, noobs would get confused & frustrated?

[GU]elmur_fud;2608895 said:
To be frank I would think you of all people would know you can already do that.

[GU]elmur_fud;2608921 said:
I am not sure how to address this, you seem to be assuming a lot...
But here goes...
1. If you had read my previous post you might realize you are arguing with nobody.

Actually, I was trying to agree with you that the gameplay mechanics can change to fit the situation, but trying to make the point that just changing some movement values on a per map or per gametype basis is the cop out, which can lead to consistency issues and the player confusion that SpoonDog mentioned. If we need movement to be different in the vehicle based gametypes, make it intuitive to the users why it is different. Some additional gear for certain gametypes, or map-specific gimmicks are two ways of going about that.

I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers, I didn't intend to. I like BU being the little-bit-more-sane place to discuss these things :)

As for the troll and signature stuff... what? I've been writing a line of JB code per month. Plenty consistent! :D Actually things have picked up a bit lately.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Actually, I was trying to agree with you that the gameplay mechanics can change to fit the situation, but trying to make the point that just changing some movement values on a per map or per gametype basis is the cop out, which can lead to consistency issues and the player confusion that SpoonDog mentioned. If we need movement to be different in the vehicle based gametypes, make it intuitive to the users why it is different. Some additional gear for certain gametypes, or map-specific gimmicks are two ways of going about that.

I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers, I didn't intend to. I like BU being the little-bit-more-sane place to discuss these things :)

As for the troll and signature stuff... what? I've been writing a line of JB code per month. Plenty consistent! :D Actually things have picked up a bit lately.

I reread it and it still doesn't sound that way to me, but I apologize none the less. I have had a lot of words put in my mouth here over the years so I tend to be a bit zealous in my attempts to assure I am not misunderstood.

It still wasn't my intent to imply that you change run or jump values (at least by any noticeable amount), though even slight tweaks can make big differences. So I guess I misused the term 'gameplay mechanics' in my original post. I am not sure what term would be correct actually. By differentiating between map and mode basis I was trying to account for that fact that you can toss vehicles in any map regardless of the game-mode. So my thought was as to how the engine decided to change the gameplay, a blanket ONS/WAR/AS switch or if it detects vehicles loading in the map. Though I suppose the non vehicle game-mode maps with vehicles in are fairly few and far between so the latter approach would be perhaps somewhat overzealous.

The comment about your sig referred to the visual consistency of the image. There are 3 elements all at different quality levels. Shrugs. I am bad at recognizing trolls and apparently even worse at trolling myself. I guess I am just not mean spirited enough.

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Enjoying the podcasts and cheerful banter.

As for implementing "TAM" right now, it would probably result in a level that can reset with round start/end mechanics, not much else to build on, right? I guess it would be good for getting your feet wet in UE4UT, though.

Maybe the guys with the most opinions on that game type could use the BU wiki to write up the new "TAM" game rules and implementation details/direction?