gopostal recommended a monsterhunt map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
in this thread:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=202806

The thread was posted in Off-topic, and well, actually it's on UT3. About finding maps with weird colours :D, so gopostal's recommendation was probably a good one. But I'd rather comment on the map in the appropriate forum and not hijack that guy's thread.

The name of the map is mh-deadcity2 by spronx. I've no idea who/what/where, stopped playing monsterhunt many years ago. Deadcity sounds familiar to me because I played it a couple of times in Unreal.

gopostal said:
Here's a link to a zip I found. Not sure if it's complete or not:
http://ut.noccer.de/Maps/Monsterhunt...sDeadCity2.zip

The name is totally lost on me but there was a period where one guy was retexturing monsterhunt maps in ways that the terms "whorish and garish" fall incredibly short in describing. I remember he did DeadCity in complete technicolor with Coke logos and Michael Jackson all over the damn place. It looked like a unicorn chewed up the original Wizard of Oz movie, washed it down with skittles and poster paint, then shit it out all over the texture pack. No kidding, you have to see it for yourself.

Spronx! That was his name. Find any of his maps. I spoke to him in-game a few times. Nice guy, just one of those 'artistic' type dudes I guess.

I'd check it to be sure but we are leaving shortly for a day trip down the coast. I'm almost sure it's correct though given the zip size. If you do take a look tell me if my description was very far off. I'd be interested in what you think.

Spronx, if you see this I'm not crapping on your work. Admittedly I don't get 'artsy' at all. My wife likes walking through the starving artist galleries around here and most of the trip I spend totally oblivious to whatever message the art is trying to convey. Your map is some sort of pop-culture statement but all it does for me is make me thankful I don't have epilepsy.

What I think of his "work".
I tried viewing the map through the editor. I didn't work at first, there was a missing file called nemesisWs.uax. So, we're off to a good start.

The zip file has 43 system U files (but no int), and lo and behold 8 texture packages. Why didn't he limit it to one, or place them in mylevel?
Why do I even ask..

So, I got the missing file from a redirect site (why did I even bother?), and the editor crashed with a "out of virtual memory" error. Apparently I had to free up more hdd space, iirc. But there's plenty left. I suppose it's because he's integrated all these crappy mutator files?

Then I tried viewing in ingame. Same shit.
Figured I'd reboot the rig, see if that would solve the memory problem. Still not sure why I went through all this trouble. But that didn't resolve anything, editor crashed again.

So to hell with it.

Afaik this guy is a lazy hack. And why wouldn't you want to "crap" on his "work"? Do you simply mean critique? There wouldn't be anything wrong with criticism. But it's not even his work, is it? He just ripped some images from somewhere, messed around with them in some paint program,and placed them all over someone else's map? Am I getting this right? How is that even artistic? How is that making a statement?

Though I'm still willing to give this a slight benefit of the doubt? (very, very tiny) Would someone dare loading this up and take some pics? You don't have to really.
But I'm still somewhat curious. This character trait will kill me, eventually. It will, I know it...=-)

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Sure I guess. I've also had quite some fun playing monsterhunt. Thing is, most of the time it was without the utmjh mutator, just plain hardcore mode. No excessive health on monsters (mostly, aside from f.e. those ataa maps iirc?)

I've played deadcity a couple of times in Unreal, but.. maybe as well in monsterhunt? I can't honestly remember. All what remains is that the original had these lightning fast zombies, coming at you at nighttime. And they were really strong. Bit too strong :D
Crazy map. Maybe I did play some tweaked down version for mh? Ah, it's possible. Eventually there were so many versions of so many maps floating around, it was impossible keeping track.

And to think that for years there was only one monsterhunt server. Nobody seemed to care. It was ran by some clan, and always on the same map.. icy canyon.
And then suddenly...

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Hey bro, I got it to load. It did indeed need a shitload of more packages. I'm uploading them now in a zip file you can combine with the map's zip and it should work. If not let me know whatever you need and I'll send it to you.

This is the spawn room:
Shot0004_zps54d00668.jpg

It only gets worse from here, and you will have to see it to believe it. Will update this post with the extra files shortly...

OK, files are here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=08424153591394067786

Last edited: