You guys...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bonecrusher

Make choices, don't look back...
Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Ok so, the low-down:

The game will be free. The idea is to make the game based on collab between Epic and the community. No game publisher or anything, just the developers at Epic and the community developers.

The best news I heard is they are going to make it for Windows, Linux and Mac. Finally no console port!

I did hear a lot of familiar names as far as the development team is concerned, so that can be a good thing. They said they will start with the basics (creating an fps deathmatch game) and then expand from there with some other classic game types. Pretty much leaving a lot to the community to develop additional content.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on this. If they can nail down the mechanics of the game in such a way that it feels good with mouse & keyboard (not clunky like the console ports) and it plays smooth, I think this could work out really well!

I believe the revenue stream will come from the monthly fee to use the UE4 tools. But supposedly modders will have the ability to charge a fee for their content (EX: Deathball, Jailbreak, etc.). I will be keeping a close eye on this... I can't help being a little excited, and I know Cliffy said something a couple months ago about making another PC shooter... he should just come back :p

There were quite a few snippets I saw in the comments from people wanting LGI CTF lol. So the people are still out there somewhere :lol:

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
I've been reading some of the forum threads this morning. It's obvious you can't make everyone happy. I'd say the "easiest" way to please everyone would be to allow mutators to alter enough of the game that they could create the feel of either previous game how they see fit (EX: UT99 Jump/Dodge, UT2003 Doublejump/Dodge, UT2004 Doublejump/Dodge). I agree with what some say with the "UT3 felt too heavy" comment. It did, very clunky. Even with low grav it felt like the character weighed 400 pounds. It's an arena shooter, not war. The player should be agile.

Hopefully the early versions allow masses to try it out and see if it "feels right" and possibly allow for tweaking before the rest of the game gets developed, because something like that can mess up map scale and stuff.

I'm not sure... are the developer tools and the "editor" two different things? If I were to dabble in map making again, I wouldn't want to be confined to a monthly subscription.

My, another thought: I hope the installation/directory structure is more like the older UT games (99/2K4) where all you need to do is copy certain files into their respective directories. None of that crappy install or "cooking?" that UT3 had. Hopefully that was only due to the built for consoles bit.

Edit: I use a lot of quotation marks...

Devastator

What are YOU looking at?
Apr 8, 2003
North
bua.beyondunreal.com
From what I heard, you can get the EU4 tools for $20/per month, if you stop paying, you still keep the tools, they just don't get updated. if true, I might think about it but I wonder if the changes made to the tools can affect the content you create in a way that it can no longer be imported to the game.

From UE4 FAQ section:

Do I have to worry about a billing contract or penalties for cancelling my subscription?
Your subscription payment automatically recurs, but you’re free to cancel at any time. There’s no penalty for cancellation.

When you cancel your subscription, you won’t receive access to future releases of Unreal Engine 4, however your login will remain active, and you are free to continue using the versions of Unreal Engine 4 which you obtained as a subscriber under the terms of the EULA.

Last edited:

Morty

The getting killed man!!
Feb 22, 2005
Ohio...that suck ass STATE.
Might now consider a PC build.....affordable one of course. I've been trying off and on here lately when I have my small amount of time to do so. Hummm....sounds good and positive.

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Pretty stoked on both counts!

I know right! :D

Might now consider a PC build.....affordable one of course. I've been trying off and on here lately when I have my small amount of time to do so. Hummm....sounds good and positive.

I'd wait a bit there Morty. I wouldn't build a PC (again) for a game that may be garbage or possibly never be completed. They said it may be possible to see an alpha build several months down the line. Let's see how that turns out first :p

Bonecrusher

Oct 14, 2001
Spring City, PA
bua.beyondunreal.com
Graphics card isn't my concern, I'm thinking more processor. This i7-860 is getting up there in age brah

EDIT: This news has inspired me to update the rotation of the website banners a bit. I may work on some new ones this weekend :lol:

Last edited: