My Gripe - Underpowered Weapons!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SpUnKy

Aug 15, 1999
Improper Murder?

Could someone explain to me the logic behind watime laws regarding weaponry?

This is thousands of people trying to butcher each other until one side decides it doesn't want any more of its people to be murdered (pardon me, I guess government-sanctioned slaughter is technically not "murder...?") usually for purely philosophical reasons... not to mention sometimes against the soldiers' wills (I have to register for the draft sometime now).

And they throw this BS around about doing it improperly.

"They train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders do not allow them to write "****" on their airplanes, because it is obscene..."

-Apocolypse Now

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Actually the breaking/tumbling occurs because of the increased resistance (blood and tissue are a lot thicker then air you know :)) The increased drag etc screw up the balistics causing the round to tumble and the increased stresses on the bullet may cause it to break up (like a American fighter doing a 90 degree turn upwards during full mach2 cruise :D).

<A HREF="http://www.rlgaming.com" TARGET=_blank>
bigsig.gif

Reviewer, Contributing Columnist Real Life Gaming</A>

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
basically, it boils down to this:

1) use of hollopoints and "expanding bullets" on soldiers by soldiers during war is prohibited by the Hague Accords of 1899 or 1907.

2) the US never signed the Hague Accords, nor the Geneva Convention, but we usually follow them.

3) The 5.56mm does fragment when it impacts above 2500 fps. It is unintentional

4) The original AR-15 had a 1 twist in 14" barrel. This was not as accurate as the Army liked. The M16 had a 1-12" barrel. The M16-A2 has a 1-7" barrel. Current semi-auto-only AR-15 rifles are 1-9" or 1-8". While the 1-14" is fantasic with bullet fragmentation, it occurs in all rifling twists, and with the old M193 55gr FMJ and the new M855 62gr. FMJ (with steel penetrator).

5) The effectiveness of the M16 is due to its fragmentation, which carves a 7" diameter, 10" deep cavity at point-blank range. The 7.62's, both the russian 39mm and the NATO 51mm, don't fragment, they tumble. (The West Germans have a round for the 7.62x51 which fragments better than the 5.56mm

6) The 5.56mm/M16 has superior wounding capacity at point blank range than the 7.62mm/M14. However, the heavier bullet carries further and will still tumble at ranges where the 5.56mm is pitifully weak and barely airborne (500m+)

Dr.Dase

Feb 26, 2001
Didn't know that about fragmenting bullets, but as i use to say, you learn something new every day...

Spunky i love that quote from Apocalypse Now! :)
Btw, there are certain "rules" in war, because war between states are not supposed to be a slaughter, it's supposed to be an elongation of diplomacy.

To WHY, i am aware that this is so, because these rules only apply in wars between souvereign states, not any type of conflict within the state, such as civil war or police affairs.

I hear that US law enforcement use so called "tactical" rounds, that are basically hollow points, anyone know anything about this?