Geforce DDR = Bad in UT, why?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Butcher

Aug 25, 2000
Norway
home.c2i.net
I can't understand why UT is goin' so bad on my GF DDR card. The fps is between 25 and 50. Can anyone give me some advice? I've updated everything from drivers to UT patch.

Celeron 2 566
386 Mb RAM
Geforce 256 DDR
Win ME

Stimpy

Well, are you using D3D or OGL? D3D is faster on a Geforse, but either one sould be faster than what you describe. What resolution do you run at, and most importantly, you're not running it in software mode, are you?

Dr. Stupid

The Butcher

Aug 25, 2000
Norway
home.c2i.net
I run in D3D in 640x480 res., but why runs a tnt2 card better than my gf? It runs also without problems w/gf2 cards. I've read many gf ddr threads in this forum, but Ut s*cks like h*ll.

Slasher

Mar 19, 2000
Visit site
I'm having same problems in D3D.
It seems that openGL is much faster with Geforce/Geforce2
My framerate in D3D is about 25-60,in openGL never under 65!
And with Loki's opengl.drv you can get high res. textures(looks REALLY nice)
But...there is really BIG but in Loki's opengl..how can i adjust gamma? :)

my system

P3 500
192mb ram
Geforce 2 gts

video options in UT

1024x768 resolution
16bit colors in D3D,32bit in ogl
ALL details high

-Slasher

Blix

Oct 13, 2000
Visit site
I too am cursed by evil gamma

This gamma crap makes me sick. I can only run UT in 32-bit color. I've been posting this same forum thread on as many forums hoping somebody notices. Take a gander.
First of all, my current configuration isn't the problem, because this same problem has happened to me on a different computer--different video cards (Asus GeForce DDR, 3dfx voodoo3 3000), different motherboard, cpu, sound card, monitor, hard drive, etc.
When I run 3d games, often my colors are wrong--pale colors glow yellow, whites are blindingly bright. This happens most obviously in QuakeIII, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, and Unreal Tournament, but in UT, only when I run in 16-bit color; in 32-bit color, the colors are perfect. This doesn't happen at all in Vampire: the Masquerade, nor do I see it happening in Heavy Metal: Fakk2. I've messed around as much as possible with gamma at the Windows (video display properties) level, using the Detonator 3 drivers' video controls; I've fiddled with brightness sliders. The only thing that actually made a difference was, QuakeIII-based engines all recognize the command r_ignorehwgamma 1. This tells the app to ignore hardware gamma settings. When I do this, color is normal, but only for those games.
It seems possible to me that maybe I'm having these problems because I used to own a Voodoo card, and maybe somewhere in my Registry or System files, Windows still thinks I have a Voodoo card, and is applying gamma settings appropriate to that card, to my new one. But that theory breaks down quickly, because before I bought the GeForce2, when I was still running the Voodoo3, I tried running Unreal Tournament in D3D and OpenGL instead of Glide, and the same problem showed up. So here it is. On THREE different video cards, two different MoBo/CPU combinations, two different sound cards, two monitors, etc., I can't get correct colors unless I use built-in software hacks to DISABLE hardware gamma. What am I doing wrong? Is there a BIOS setting that's screwing things up? Please respond, you can tell I'm big on gaming, this is making me completely crazy, after all the money I've spent I'm sure you understand my frustration. Thanks.
Oh, incidentally, on my GeForce2, OpenGL is choppy, ugly, and discolored; D3D doesn't come close to Glide (yes, my Voodoo3 played UT far, far better than my GeForce2 does, it's not about the cards, it's about optimization for an API), but it's definitely better, by far, than OpenGL UT.

GauntMan

Oct 20, 2000
Visit site
I have the soloution to your problems.

It seemd that the poeple that made UT has had some brain sickness or something because the only patch that works allright with UT & GeForce is 4.05b. All later patches screw things up. Remove UT and reinstall and upgrade to 4.05. It got me from 20fps to about a steady 50-90fps in 1024x768 32bit EVERYTHING ON including volumetric lighting and detailed textures. Of course I´m using a P3-750 but before I still got 20fps now it´s a dream.

/GM

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
I know this doesnt help much but I can tell you for sure that its not the Geforce causing your problems. I have run every patch without a loss of framerate , I can play at any setting up to 1280x1024x16 with all details high and get 60+FPS minimum in D3D. Only when I go to 32 bit at 1280x1024 do I get any drop in framerate, it then goes instantly to 20FPS max.

You guys with the low framerates, are you sure you dont have FSAA turned on? That would account for the low FPS.
Especially Butcher, The Geforce2 can handle the FSAA and the TNT doesnt use it so you would likely only notice the problem on the DDR.

Are you guys using the latest detonator drivers from Nvidia or are you using the default drivers from the manufaturer? I gained more than 25 FPS total between the original driver and the latest Nvidia refrence driver.

GauntMan

Oct 20, 2000
Visit site
Hmmm.

Some friends of mine using GF2 gts don´t have problems but all of us using GF DDR. I for my part have tried all patches and all Detonator from 3.68 to 6.37 and I can say that it didn´t matter what drivers I used it only got good when patch 4.05 was applied. FSAA got the fps down to 5-7 so I was really carefukl not to use this. Maybe it got something to do with the motherboards? Anyway I´m happy now as you can se in my last post but my racommendation is to try all drivers and all patches until you get a good result. I known it´s hard work but it´s worth it.

/GM

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
All detonators?!?!

Hmm...

Where did ye find that 6.37 that you mentioned? Win9x or Win2k?

C'mon now... share!

BTW, I used to run the CLAP DDR, and UT was smooth as hell for me in D3D under 9x, Milly and Win2000. I last ran them in I think the 6.16 detonator with directx 8 build 146. Pure joy.. *Then* I got the CLAP2.. now we're an OpenGL junkie to the max for the ST3 compression textures..

But to add a cautionary note, you *are* uninstalling the nvidia drivers properly before switching versions, no? (ie: reverting to VGA first..?) For help on the drivers and properly cleaning the registry too clicky here: http://www.geforcefaq.com/

Hope it helps!

Slasher

Mar 19, 2000
Visit site
You're right Liquid.
Opengl rocks and S3TC rocks (thats the reason i bought gf2)
BUT UT is so dark in opengl and brightness slider dont work,
so how can i make it brighter?.
If i change it from display settings,textures will go bad
:-(

Jimbo Giblets

Oct 8, 2000
Visit site
Geforce ddr and UT

Does installing the S3tc help with frame rates or just eye candy?Using Prophet DDR, Detonator 6.31 UT 4.32 and the opengl dll from the guy at Loki games.Opengl looks good but d3d is a little faster on my machine.

The Butcher

Aug 25, 2000
Norway
home.c2i.net
Huh, what, how?

Still noth'n that is useful. But is there a new opengl engine driver for ut, which works better? Or may it be my PC? I've got a AX6BC PRO Gold motherboard (440bx) w/cel 2.
Any other suggestions?

GauntMan

Oct 20, 2000
Visit site
Nope, probably not your PC.

I´ve got the same motherboard and a Cel2@750.

What GF do you have. Some friends of mine have had problems with Hercules boards. Mine is a Creative.

/GM

GauntMan

Oct 20, 2000
Visit site
Well, lots of them.

I only got it right (not perfect but acceptable) with the 4.05b patch. All other patches were a nightmare. The strange part is that before the GF I had a Creative TNT. It worked perfectly. Try with the 4.05b. You must do a complete reinstall before you apply the patch though.

/GM