Cumming out

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Polychron

Poliwrath
Sep 13, 2003
In a bubble
I waited so long for the new 28 nm GPU chips to come out this year. I was hoping to buy me a 28 nm based GPU for Christmas. But according to several hardware news sites this is definitely not going to happen this year. :( The manufacturer, namely TSMC, is still having problems with the new 28 nm process and because both, nVidia and AMD, will let manufacture their new 28 nm chips at TSMC, there is going to be huge delay.

It is very likely that the new 28 nm chips will only be widely available on the market in Q2 2012. So what what to do now? Buy old technology now in order to have entertaining holidays or WAIT even LONGER for the new 28 nm GPUs to arrive... if they are ever going to come out....

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Here I was going to congratulate Poly on his new found fondness of cock but alas I was disappoint

Anyway just buy a Radeon 6900 series or Geforce 500 series and be done with it. They have more than enough muscle for games out right now.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
well ati is supposed to release about a month from now, while new high end nvidia will take months still at least.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
well ati is supposed to release about a month from now, while new high end nvidia will take months still at least.

They're releasing their next chip and even calling it the Radeon 7000, but it isn't the new 28nm architecture, and is essentially a rebadged 6000 with dx 11.1 support. Nvidia is doing the same, and we won't be seeing the actual new cards until a few months into 2012.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Here I was going to congratulate Poly on his new found fondness of cock but alas I was disappoint

Anyway just buy a Radeon 6900 series or Geforce 500 series and be done with it. They have more than enough muscle for games out right now.

This. My HD5850 1GB is pretty dated considering it's been out for a couple years now, but it still tears apart everything I throw at it with flying colors. I play everything at 1920x1080 with all sliders set to highest settings. I usually go with 2xAA/2xAF or 2xAA/4xAF.

In the vast majority of games I get 60fps steady with very occasional dips down to 50fps. Skyrim maxed holds 30-60fps (mostly on the latter end) quite well; in fact, the worst part of Skyrim was the intro sequence. After that it was smooth sailing as far as performance is concerned.

But yeah, this card was the best gaming money I've ever spent. I mean, shit, it runs Just Cause 2 with full settings and everything turned on (SSAO included) at 45-60fps.

With that said, the HD6800-HD6900 series cards are even more powerful and can probably be had much cheaper than the $280 I paid for my HD5850 when it was still 'new.'

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Yep, the current gen of cards does a great job with just about anything. That being said, I'll probably upgrade when the new gen comes out (provided there aren't any major issues) for the fun of 3D gimmickry (which, even if AMD's 3D wasn't crap, would be too much for my 5850 to run with high settings).

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
They're releasing their next chip and even calling it the Radeon 7000, but it isn't the new 28nm architecture, and is essentially a rebadged 6000 with dx 11.1 support. Nvidia is doing the same, and we won't be seeing the actual new cards until a few months into 2012.

if they have dx11.1 support then they are not rebadged or rebrands... assuming dx11.1 requires stuff on a hardware level and regardless all i heard pointed towards only a few rebranded laptop video chips.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I somehow missed this last time:

Why a 6670? Those cards are more on the low end than the midrange. I would have gone for at least a 68-something.

Here's an HD6870 for $190 (which is still pretty cheap for this kind of power.) If my HD5850 dies in the next six months I'd probably swap it for one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349

Yep, the current gen of cards does a great job with just about anything. That being said, I'll probably upgrade when the new gen comes out (provided there aren't any major issues) for the fun of 3D gimmickry (which, even if AMD's 3D wasn't crap, would be too much for my 5850 to run with high settings).

If I had a 3D TV, I would probably go with nVidia. ATi is all about Eyefinity (multi-screen gaming) in my opinion.

Last edited:

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
But on the other hand, it is pretty cool to run such a highly-portable tiny PC with a size of an XBOX360 but as powerful as a full-size PC. I am also amazed with its power consumption, in idle mode 55W in gaming mode up to 120W (OC setup). Besides, my coffee never gets cold :), the HD6670 runs at 85°C in gaming mode.

With the new Radeon HD 6670 I can finally run all my games at high or very high settings and 4x AA/4x AF with at least 35 fps.

no space to add an additional extraction fan?