n00b back "Loki" with a problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_Loki

god of mischief
Feb 21, 2004
Hey guy im back!!!

I got on XMP and got to play one game... I quit a little later to change my name and now i can't get back into it. It says somethin about not having enough free space on my hard drive.. I tryed to clean some stuff out but i still get the message... whats the best way to get back in quick?

Thanks

i_am_Loki

god of mischief
Feb 21, 2004
heres the full message i get if it helps?

"No Label

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 1471 MHz with 255MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 (5216)

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 00000000 -1968319232 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 275900640*24 <- TArray<< <- FServerQueryLink::OnReceivedData <- FUdpLink::poll <- AServerQueryClient::poll <- AMasterServerClient::poll <- AMasterServerLink::execPoll <- UObject::processEvent <- (MasterServerClient Entry.MasterServerClient0, Function IpDrv.MasterServerLink.Tick) <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Build: Jan 19 2004 14:03:03"

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Were you trying to connect to Alpha's server? I get that message every time I try through XMP's server list. Must not be there anymore, wonder where they went...

i_am_Loki

god of mischief
Feb 21, 2004
PETzizzleSeagizzle said:
Whoa, I remember you, Loki. You used to be in SV, correct?

I'm -SV-Jordan.

ya i used to be in Southern Vengence... i remember u jordy :)

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
well, clear some space off certainly. but have you changed your system swap file size?

control panel-system-advanced-performance settings - advanced - virtual memory - change

if you set it manually it could be that it's not enough. try telling it to do it itself, or choose a drive with tons of space and allocate a gig to it or something......

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
i_am_Loki said:
Hey guy im back!!!

I got on XMP and got to play one game... I quit a little later to change my name and now i can't get back into it. It says somethin about not having enough free space on my hard drive.. I tryed to clean some stuff out but i still get the message... whats the best way to get back in quick?

Thanks
It also does that sometimes when trying to parse complex (colourised) strings with illegal chars in them. You say you quit to change your name - did you add any colour codes to it? Try deleting/renaming your MyUser.ini file or your MyU2XMP.ini which may contain some foul strings.

Also, next time don't just post the crash dump, as it's not much use. Post the last 50 lines or so of your U2XMP.log file, or better still add the whole file as an attachment. If it's a problem with your name I'd expect the game to reach the login stage and then bomb out, which the log file will show you.

The virtual memory thing is a bit misleading, although memory problems are worth checking out, but I think it's more likely to be a bit of faulty code rather than a problem with your setup. Unless you only have like 1KB of free space on your system drive ;)

Last edited:

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
I didn't want to pay for UT2K4 either, so I got somebody to buy it for me for Christmas.

You never answered whether or not it was only Alpha's server that gave you that error, but you should make sure you have enough virtual memory anyway. It's supposed to be faster if you set the minimum and maximum to the same amount yourself, instead of letting Windows adjust as needed. It used to be recommended to allocate 2.5-3 times your physical memory, but that's when most systems had 256mb or less. 1 gig should be fine, or go crazy if you have a lot of unused space. It's even better if you can put it on a seperate (fast) physical drive from your Windows install. So if you have 512mb, set both the minimum and maximum to 1536 or something like that (Windows wants the amount in mb, not gb). I set mine to 4000/4000, just because I have nothing else to do with that space (Windows kept asking me if I really wanted to use that much, by the way. Told me it was excessive.)

i_am_Loki

god of mischief
Feb 21, 2004
GotBeer? said:
You never answered whether or not it was only Alpha's server that gave you that error,...

Yes it was only Alphas server

and to the other guy, (i dont know how to multiple quote) if i knew how to show a log file i probably would have done it. ;)

[DS] Calico

Behind Jackal with a raging hardon.
Apr 28, 2004
dandel told me to clear out your cache folder and everything in the ini except the first line. about 7 or so months ago

/\ºÐZA

/\ºLpha Psychiatrist
Oct 4, 2004
i_am_Loki said:
Yes it was only Alphas server

and to the other guy, (i dont know how to multiple quote) if i knew how to show a log file i probably would have done it. ;)

SURE BLAME ALPHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.