Doom3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanio

Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
The weird thing is, I've got a 2500+, 512 MB of ram, and a 9600 pro (oc'd a bit), and I still get lag on 640x480+lowest settings. :( (and I actually *bought* the game, you butt-pirates!)

Mar 6, 2004
Well...i got fx 5600 graphics card, 3 ghz and 1 gig of ram and it's still very laggy in single player...hopefully they fix this problem in a patch or something :(

[xF]PR3D470R

My Vengeance Is Everlasting
Jan 20, 2004
KC
PETzizzleSeagizzle said:
The weird thing is, I've got a 2500+, 512 MB of ram, and a 9600 pro (oc'd a bit), and I still get lag on 640x480+lowest settings. :( (and I actually *bought* the game, you butt-pirates!)

My configuration is almost exactly the same as yours, only I'm running a 9800 Pro (oc'd as well). You might try the beta drivers from ATi and see if that helps you any. Btw, I'm running Doom @ 1024x768 High Settings w/ 2x AA just fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:

harteman

Feb 13, 2004
2500 xp, 512mb ram, 9600xt 590core 320memory-Runs excellent @1024x786 with details at medium. Runs well with details on high but can get choppy in intense fights.

|g|Hercules

xmp-God & Shotgun Whore
Apr 29, 2004
(GR)Killer said:
Well...i got fx 5600 graphics card, 3 ghz and 1 gig of ram and it's still very laggy in single player...hopefully they fix this problem in a patch or something :(

I have the same vid card, but only have an athlon 2400+ and 526 MB of ram and was laggy until I turned vsync ON. Solved all my problems and was able to set my res on 800 x 600 and play on medium settings (which btw, still rock) and keep all the special effects on and have absolutely no probs now.

FurociousFa

Banned
Apr 1, 2004
MI
med quality 800x600, 9800 pro w/xt bios, and amd 2200+ 1024 pc2100 generic ram, lags just walking through the level..

|g|Hercules

xmp-God & Shotgun Whore
Apr 29, 2004
FurociousFa said:
med quality 800x600, 9800 pro w/xt bios, and amd 2200+ 1024 pc2100 generic ram, lags just walking through the level..

Did you try turning vsync on? And I've also heard that ati cards were having some trouble, but there is a beta ati driver out specifically to help with doom and they expect a better fix for the issue around September. So if turning vsync on doesn't help ya, give the beta driver a try.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Are they stable with XMP too those drivers? I was wondering wether to get them or wait for the complete release.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
How come I cant find a roll of ducktape. :(

So I can ducktape the friggen flashlight to the shotgun. :D

It allso seams that the guns fire slow.. :mad:

And there is no option for allways run.. :mad:

Plump

[12M]
Jul 18, 2004
Ok, ive been told of a way to increse performance a little. Ive noticed a slight increase but im on a 3200, 1gig ram and 9800 pro so it runs fairly nice anyway...

With winrar u can open the pk4 files in the base folder, extract all the files from all the pk4 files into the base folder then delete the pk4 files (or make a backup and put somewhere else) so the game can't use them. This cuts down on cpu usage ingame cos the pk4 files are highly compressed. Should speed things up a little, report back!

Also, has anyone on a 9800 pro/xt tried the ati beta drivers? Id like to hear some info before changing from stable omegas to beta catalysts. ATI have said the x800 cards get the most benefit and im yet to hear from anyone with a 9800pro/xt who has tested them.

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
am i the only one that's a little dissappointed with doom
it has this feeling of been there done that
they didn't make anything new with the exception of the graphics
and i don't like the a.i. either
it's a great game but it could've been more
much more

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
BITE_ME said:
And there is no option for allways run.. :mad:

Thats because in SP you have stamina. So it's better to save it for the big runs when those biggy naughty iron dogs attack :p

In MP you can turn always run to true.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Stamina? Oh man that sucks :-/
I hated that option in rtcw.

Anyway, doom3 tells the story of (Ultimate) Doom. Well, it's as if it never happened.
But it's basically the same isn't it.
And it's made by ID software. ID wants to keep it simple.
Expecting huge new content in this game well.. no wonder you'd be getting instantly dissapointed.

It's a doom game. MP has 4 player support. It has few new elements (So i've read?) Such as a couple of new monsters, 1 new weapon the soulcube right?

Otherwise, it's back to basics I guess?

I didn't mind the whole "doom3, quake4" thing but....

I honestly think ID should come up with a new game.

Then again, the names "doom and quake" guarantee lots of $$$€€€

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
NeoNite said:
But it's basically the same isn't it.
And it's made by ID software. ID wants to keep it simple.
Expecting huge new content in this game well.. no wonder you'd be getting instantly dissapointed.

Otherwise, it's back to basics I guess?

I didn't mind the whole "doom3, quake4" thing but....

I honestly think ID should come up with a new game.

Then again, the names "doom and quake" guarantee lots of $$$€€€

i totally agree,most developers are too scared too take risks and stay with the old crap, but after working for 4 years on it i expected more, way more.
I'd rather had one totally kickass zombie that could think a little then the enemys there are now, mindless shooting in a new coat.

At least we'll have half life 2 too look forward too.

b4nd1t

bulletproof
Jan 5, 2004
Opposed to everyone here im pretty disapointed with it. Bumpmapping is nice, but I realy think they are streching it way to much. It is not cool when you walkup to something that looks like a nice mesh, just to find out that it is a bumpmap and when you view it from the side it is completely flat. The textures looks like thet are no larger than 256x256, even when standing 2 m away from some of the objects or walls it looks like utter crap, blurry and miscolored.

The models looks nice at first, but when you get bored talking to the charactes, you notice the huge spikes that comes out of their heads, and the hands looks extremly bad, if it wasn't for the bumpmapping in the face, they would look no different from a Quake3 character.

The movement feels sluggish, like your running around in mud or with a rubber band in your back. The weapons are no better, the pistol is kind of nice, but why can't I be allowed to fire it faster? and why the hell isn't the pauses between the shots not the same all the time. The shotgun is a complete joke, even in 2004 a shotgun can kill instantly at 50m or more, but with this one your lucky if you can hit a door standing 2m away from it. The machinegun or whatever its is called is no better, whey does it sound like it fires in burst's when it does not, and why can one kill just as fast with the pistol, I actually thought that it should be better than the other weapons.

The only thing I have found so far that is just a bit positive is the character animations, they are pretty nice, but apart from that, this game doesn't score more than average, and it is not worth the 90%+ it gets in the reviews everywhere, whitch is a complete joke to read.

... and I do have a proper computer to run it on

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.