UE2 - UT2kX Custom character collisions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

esunder

Apr 1, 2008
Hi all,

I am working on a project with dinosaur models and the default collision cylinder is not sufficient to detect collisions for a dinosaur shaped model.

Here is a screenshot of the model. On the right i highlight the collision section of the unreal editor. Do i need to use the CollisionBoxes or CollisionSpheres?

I would like to be able to test weapon attacks (projectiles and traces) against the mesh, or possibly a rough estimate that i dedicate as the CollisionStaticMesh.

Last edited:

SuperApe

Registered Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
Inna Jungle
wiki.beyondunreal.com
Collision boxes on major bones work okay. Take a look at the Kangaroo NPCs I made for UT200x, link on UnrealPlayground here.

I used a few boxes, like one for the pelvis, a couple in the tail and neck, etc. But there's a couple reasons not to overdo it:

- The places where these boxes intersect as the bones move can cause instant gibbing if a player or NPC is detected to be caught inbetween them.
- These collision boxes (while somewhat optimized) does take some CPU computing power.

Hope that helps.

esunder

Apr 1, 2008
Hey SuperApe,

First off, thanks for the help so far.

I added collision boxes to the mesh, this time I used a Trex mesh that our group is currently working on.

Do I need to do something else because it seems like the character is still using the default collision cylinder that a player uses. Does this technique of collision boxes work for player controlled animations (player models) or only for something like your kangaroo (a level asset / NPC) ?