UT2k7 - destructable environments

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
My point is that even though they said "fully destructible environments" what we got was "fully destructible objects that the mappers placed here and there while everything else was just as indestructible as every other game." I would venture a guess that destructable "environments" in UT would be no different, and for good reason. A truly destructible environment would just f*ck the game up.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
My point is that even though they said "fully destructible environments" what we got was "fully destructible objects that the mappers placed here and there while everything else was just as indestructible as every other game." I would venture a guess that destructible "environments" in UT would be no different, and for good reason. A truly destructible environment would just f*ck the game up.
I don't actually see it being such that after a CON map there are craters everywhere. But I would venture to guess that you would be able to shoot a side of a mountain and have boulders crush your enemy. They will also probably have destructible walls and floors that lead to hidden items, secret passages and traps. At least that’s how I would make a destructible environment. I trust epic will have a nice balance of destructible objects and destructible environment, so I wouldn't worry too much about game play.

I'm just hoping that the vehicular battles don't become like M1A1 Abrams Battle Tank. Having your turret engine get shot out and immobilized, or your tread coming off and getting you stuck, like epic eluded to, would suck. I would much rather have a mud pit that can get a vehicle stuck, or critical hit zones that does more damage to a vehicle. At least then it would be easier, not only to avoid, but learn to play with as well.

Last edited:

NuForce

Feb 22, 2004
Dark Pulse said:
I could see something like Red Faction perhaps: A large chunk of the level is destroyable in some way, but there's still limits. If you burrow too far into a wall, floor, or something similar, eventually you'll stop burrowing.
When I saw this topic that was Red Faction was the first thing that came into my head. I tried that game way back when it was released. You can blow up select walls and things but they do regenerate. It was interesting but it was really no big deal. At that time I found UT99 to be a much better game. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want a total destructible environment. Just think of all the noobs that'll do nothing but grab a tank and shoot at wall the entire match.

They come up with a limited destructible environment that would have blown up structures respawn after a certain amount of time.

Nu

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
NuForce said:
When I saw this topic that was Red Faction was the first thing that came into my head. I tried that game way back when it was released. You can blow up select walls and things but they do regenerate. It was interesting but it was really no big deal. At that time I found UT99 to be a much better game. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want a total destructible environment. Just think of all the noobs that'll do nothing but grab a tank and shoot at wall the entire match.

They come up with a limited destructible environment that would have blown up structures respawn after a certain amount of time.

Nu
If they do have destructible environments, I hope they don't regenerate. That would be so cheep it would hurt. I want to me able to blow up a wall next to water, making the room fill up with water. After which I can swim through a path in the ceiling, to either another part of the map or a power up. Having to do that ALL the time would take too long, and not be very convincing of realism.

This isn't Cinderella, no pumpkins magically turning into chariots, please. :p

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
how about this then..... everything that LOOKS destructable, IS destructable, and leave the rest like Captain Scarlet

I think FlatOut is a great example of the possibilities for destructable terrain - which is what practically MAKES the game - which ADDS to the fun, rather than taking away the main focus OF the game: to be the winner of the race, and have fun at the same time! [but flying out of the windscreen = worst. idea. ever.]

whatever happened to logic and the laws of physics when a rocket launcher or a fast, powerful moving target hits a thin wall? there's a BIG difference between something that's 'unreal', and what happens naturally with the laws of physics.

Last edited:

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Growler said:
whatever happened to logic and the laws of physics when a rocket launcher or a fast, powerful moving target hits a thin wall? there's a BIG difference between something that's 'unreal', and what happens naturally with the laws of physics.
That brings up another point. Should projectiles be able to pass through certain objects? (Barrals, thin wood beams, flimsy walls, etc.)

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
More death triggers around levels like in ut99.

Pressure chambers. Cargo coming out of a factory waiting to be dumped can be triggered causing them to crash down on unlucky players. Falling Boulders. Breaking dams for roundbased combat. Collapsing tunnels. etc.

the head

Dec 3, 2005
i used to have a real time beta of a arlier novodeX engine,guess what, its SUPERNATURAL it includes many demonstartions,such as a block of buildings bllowing-up to 16,0000 bricks all physically interactive, this is only a early beta of a privious version of the physics engine and then theres the phyX which is sort of a physics enhancer card like a grapich card that inchances the physics 10 times more!!! theres nothing that this engine can not do!!
if you wnat to see this ingame i suggest that you look again at the ingame scene at the and of the steve polge interview on area51 or at the demonstration from gc which in both you can see the strret lightpools on the new CON-urban map getting blowen-off ,when they are blowen-off the light that they project also turnes-off ,also notice the latest screenshot of the new manta, if you look carefully you could see bullet holles in the manta,these bullet-holles have great visual lookingthat feets the surface thier on,bullets could panatrate objects such as wodden dorrs & you could have a pic through the holl,same goes with explosion craters that will have visual depte & will probably remin till the end of the game. nice huh!

Last edited:

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
the head said:
i used to have a real time beta of a arlier novodeX engine,guess what, its SUPERNATURAL it includes many demonstartions,such as a block of buildings bllowing-up to 16,0000 bricks all physically interactive, this is only a early beta of a privious version of the physics engine and then theres the phyX which is sort of a physics enhancer card like a grapich card that inchances the physics 10 times more!!! theres nothing that this engine can not do!!
if you wnat to see this ingame i suggest that you look again at the ingame scene at the and of the steve polge interview on area51 or at the demonstration from gc which in both you can see the strret lightpools on the new CON-urban map getting blowen-off ,when they are blowen-off the light that they project also turnes-off ,also notice the latest screenshot of the new manta, if you look carefully you could see bullet holles in the manta,these bullet-holles have great visual lookingthat feets the surface thier on,bullets could panatrate objects such as wodden dorrs & you could have a pic through the holl,same goes with explosion craters that will have visual depte & will probably remin till the end of the game. nice huh!

Wow, that was a pretty good read on what the internet can do for your grasp on the english language. :rolleyes:

I think destructive environments would ruin the game quite a bit. Knocking over polls here and there is fine, but
Neophoenix said:
I want to me able to blow up a wall next to water, making the room fill up with water. After which I can swim through a path in the ceiling, to either another part of the map or a power up.
no.

Having the ability to blow huge holes in the ground would ruin most any map. With this thinking you could play a map like Rankin and blow the whole building up, leveling it to the ground. Though, according to Mr. Spelling it should be able to handle 16,0000 * 10 bricks in an explosion, so it wouldn't be a problem. If you can shoot rockets at the floor that make huge holes and jump through them, and put huge craters in the ground to get stuck in, I won't be playing this game.

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Gametypes/maps with destructable environments are best if round-based and have rounds short in duration.

The gameplay and map flow would have to have form. All the destructable objects would have to be purposefully put in.

I think coop would be very fun with destructable environments.

the head

Dec 3, 2005
if its my english your talking about ,im not a native english speaker, physical stuff such as 160000 rockes rolling down a hill will be ablable with the new target painter this weapon will make stuffs such as volcanic iroptions,earth-quakes,etc,etc ... not many actual building could be demolished beacuse this will realy hurt the gameplay,water physics will be ablable & physics of grass &boshes also,there was demonstrations of this things in the beta,theres even the abillty to bant iron polls or cabels there will be pysical valus to stuff like a clothes that cover stuff,ragdoll bodies movement capabilty will be determined by the structure of the bones inside it!!this is all fact.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I thiink their should be destructable objects, but not to a certain degree. Take Deck-17 for exaple. what would happen to the redeemer when you have destroyed its balcony? How would you be able to go up to the sniper room if all ramps to get to it are destroyed? How would you get back to your base with the flag in CTF-Face if their is no asteroid?

If their will be destrucltable enviroments, there must be another way to get around the map. If the ArcticStronghold bridge is destroyed, cracks the ice, and blocks that area, there is still another way to get to the other side, the only problem would be "what would happen to the powernode it just crushed".Kinda like BF2's destructable bridges, their was still another way across, it just took longer.

Oh, and the head, I do believe there is a spell-check button.
Its best if they allow for few, but not to many.

Vault

May 29, 2005
..."force feilds" that cover areas that shouldnt be destroyed. these of course would only be visisble when hit...grids ya know. i think the same logic could be used for VCTF to block mantas. say within 100 yards radius of the flag, theres a dome force feild that mantas and raptors can go throught..when they hit it, the grids will appear momentarily and the forces feild will ripple, and the manta that hit is will be pushed back, whiles its rippling, mantas can go through it, but its a quick action, and it'd be pretty hard to do. this way, manta runs are possible, but its much harder.