UT2k7 - destructable environments

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
destroying environments like...on torlan would leave everyone standing on a flat plain just shooting at each other
I just hope that they will slowly regenerate

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
It would be sorta exciting, to see the biiig tower in Torlan, breaking at just over at the middle, falling down at crush several people and break up into several parts, making af blassing cloud of dust, running over the landscape, in a wave like animation, while the tower starts burning and explodes like 4 minutes after :p!

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
The only problem with I have destructable environments is once you destroy it, you can't get it back.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Destructable environments would be hot for a round based game-type, like BR or TAM.

I don't think it would be that cool for TDM or CTF, but it'd probably add a lot to CON, because CON gave me the impression it was going to be a huge map so players shouldn't be fighting in the same area for long.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Turret 49 said:
The only problem with I have destructable environments is once you destroy it, you can't get it back.
Maybe you can use the link gun to bring back all the molecules together.:lol:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

Artists can build terrain using a dynamically-deformable base height map extended by multiple layers of smoothly-blended materials including displacement maps, normal maps and arbitrarily complex materials, dynamic LOD-based tessellation, and vegetation layers with procedurally-placed meshes. Further, the terrain system supports artist-controlled layers of procedural weathering, for example, grass and vegetation on the flat areas of terrain, rock on high slopes, and snow at the peaks.

Vault

May 29, 2005
Bullet10k said:
Maybe you can use the link gun to bring back all the molecules together.:lol:

thats actually not a bad idea.....kinda like how a lazer melts stuff and the melted stuff cools off to form a solid form. this could be a very good strategic maneuver for reparing doors to you protecting etc. plus. you could make art by welding stuff together...then shock prim it into another play for a great "lol" kill

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Vault said:
thats actually not a bad idea.....kinda like how a lazer melts stuff and the melted stuff cools off to form a solid form. this could be a very good strategic maneuver for reparing doors to you protecting etc. plus. you could make art by welding stuff together...then shock prim it into another play for a great "lol" kill

Like melting some ironspikes onto a iron chair or something like that, and then throw at enemies? Lol kills ftw :lol:

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
maybe you could just "shape" the landscape like..by shooting ion tank projectiles to bend the tower of Torlan??:D :rockon:

Vault

May 29, 2005
ah and large gobs of melted tower could fall and block up the ravine...thats would be pretty cool...(and if your caught in the gob...well...hahhahahaah you are DEAD)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Vault said:
red faction anyone? that was awsome.... good times.. good times...

No. Not really. I think it was pretty boring after a while since most of the best physics part where calculated frame by frame and solid animations. It would need physics.

And anyway, i don't care about it, most of people will get distracted by this and instead of playing they will be staring at the wall shoting rockets on a fragile object and such. Bah.

Da Spadger said:
More like the melted tower of Torlan. :D

:D

With a floating weapon base on the top which is a redeemer.

Last edited:

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
destroyable environments in UT 2k7 I hope not.... that would just screw the game up.

Cryora

Nov 3, 2005
One way games can have destructable environments without having to make them as events in maps is by designing a very advanced form of decals.

Right now, decals are a primitive form of destructable enviornement. If a development team works hard enough to take decals to a whole new level, then it would bring the kind of destructable enviornment desired.

UT2K4's decals simply change the textures on objects. More realistic decals would alter objects' physical properties. I think F.E.A.R. uses shaders to make decals for bullets. Maybe UT2K7 will have this feature. But bigger and more enviornmental changing decals (for example a shock combo busting a crater on to floor which you can jump into) are probably too much for our computer to handle. It would take memory the size of hard drives to run a game with such destructable enviornments.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
HL2 had them too, or so they said, and all we got was breakable boxes. Woo.
I thought you could blow up some walls too?. least I thought I remembered that. Though, I think it will be more than that because we already have destructable objects in 2kx, just not destructable environments.