Wolfenstein: The New Order

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
>>so I am the only one who has actually played the game?

I am playing this on the x360 and as we speak I have reached the the 3rd CD out of 4. So when you read this bear in mind that this is more a first impression. I've also got the import version so no speak of 'the Regime' and swastikas 'en masse! The Nazis would have liked this kind of censorship.
Once you get out of the tutorial which blends in nicely with setting up the story the game starts picking up its pace.

pro: gory, fast gameplay, weapons have a nice feeling, dual wielding, IMO the best facial animations on the old xbox, hunting secrets, the spoken german is Über correct unlike any other place where they employ german(stachenblocken! which should be 'Blöcke stapeln' ;) ), the game feels like a throwback to the times when the boring formula of COD did not yet exist

cons: you have to manually pick up items, auto saving(I'll never like that but it's a staple of most shooters on console), the game could be a bit short

my suggestion: go kill Nazis!

p.s. The name B.J. Blaskowitz always makes me and friends giggle. I think this name is chosen poorly as 'blasen' in german means 'to blow'. So his name really sounds to me like B.J. Blowski

I've also been playing it. Like Balton, haven't finished. But my thoughts.

1. Beginning of the game drags through tutorial stuff, which I hate seeing in every shooter nowadays. I actually disabled the screen prompts and it kept getting me killed at one point where a metal dog is eating through a wrecked bomber because I didn't know I could perform a run-duck slide in the game. I felt silly after I turned tutorials back on and saw the big message "do this not to die lol." Yeah, I stood in that spot for 6 deaths literally asking the game what do you want from me. Immersion crept back in when I finally get into the Nazi compound and confront the game's antagonist for the first time, and it's a good thing too because that whole sequence was just kinda horrific and presented really well, really where I got into the game. Just hate it when games do this, this is what almost made me stop playing Far Cry 3 also.

2. Gun play is good and that's all that freaking matters in the end. Location progression is fairly linear but most of the areas are open ended in the sense of how you get to proceed. There was one encampment I entered and cleared using just my knife, felt pretty cool about it, and entered the next section only to get immediately spotted by an officer (they radio in MGS style and set off alarm). You'll have moments like this, extreme stealth ninja master and gung ho Rambo, all of it viable and fun unlike some trash like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Getting jumped by dogs (they wear armor, for reals) puts the game into like a first person quick time event kinda thing that's not really a quicktime event (you have to stab them in the face enough times before they rip your throat out). Robots will turn you to swiss cheese if you try to carelessly pick at their armor spots (which you can shoot off and strap to your own armor supply), or you can try to focus on their weak spots with careful single shots. You can dual wield, change firing modes on some guns, toss grenades, and perform close quarter melee kills. Standard fare, some might say, but it all isn't very complicated and lends to the classic vibe of Id tech gameplay. At the end of the day, the game does this part right and that's all that matters, unlike Rage which forced you to do a whole lot of else.

3. Story develops in between gameplay chapters, usually before or at the end, and is good for the most part without going too far beyond the scope of its shudder pulp roots. The German characters, good and bad, are all pretty interesting. This is important because BJ is the standard, grim voiced, white action hero grizzled by war typecast protagonist. A lot of his hard-edged commentaries get lost in the fabric of the ensuing chaos on screen and I think I only heard a quarter of what he says. There's a couple of funny interactive moments, however, where BJ can do things like sit in a car or take a nap and have a nightmare. One part of note is when the the player clears out an office filled with Nazis, and the phone rings. BJ can answer the phone if he wants to and what the person on the other line says had me cracking up pretty hard. The game is loaded with excerpts of readable text via newspaper articles pinned to walls. There's one section of the game where you are stuffed in a safehouse manned by resistance members, and there are literally dozens upon dozens of these messages posted all about the walls. I gotta be honest, I read maybe two or three of these. They all seemed to fill the gaps of time between the prologue and the present day, mostly referring to unrelated story tidbits and things unrelated to the plot...things that might have bloated the game's running time if I cared to read the all, and I certainly had no incentive to. I like that they are optional but I felt kinda like a jerk because I didn't care about them. This reminds me of when I wrote all the ingame messages in The Ball and people who played it told me with honesty, "yeah I liked playing it but I didn't care to find any of those totems with the messages you wrote, sorry." I get it, I totally do. But they are there either way.

Yeah, I'd say check it out at least. It's got rough edges but there's fun in here.

Last edited:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
...I actually disabled the screen prompts and it kept getting me killed at one point where a metal dog is eating through a wrecked bomber because I didn't know I could perform a run-duck slide in the game. I felt silly after I turned tutorials back on and saw the big message "do this not to die lol." Yeah, I stood in that spot for 6 deaths literally asking the game what do you want from me.

I did the exact same thing :lol:

I just looked it up online though so then got caught out by being unable to open the door by shooting the guard on the other side in the foot when you drop down after disabling the first beach head gun position. The first & last time I actually used the lean mechanic. gg.

Good game though once it gets going & well worth picking up for 50% off.
I've played through it twice now. 1st time with no help/guides just to enjoy it without spoilers & the 2nd time using a guide to find all the codes/gold, etc I missed & to get most of the cheevs. Enjoyed both.

Last edited:

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Finally played through it, I'm a big fan of the Wolfenstein series but I gotta say this is the weakest one.

Rating - 6.5/10

Enemies carrying other weapons than pistol/assault rifle have way too much HP, for me there is nothing fun about having to shoot well over 40 bullets into an enemy so that he will die. In the previous installment I seem to recall big enemies having weak spots for quicker kills.

Sniper rifle was introduced way too late in the game and when it was finally there you'll barely have any ammo for it at all throughout the rest of the game (except for when you use the laser mode but then it isn't really a sniper rifle).

Graphics are pretty good although some areas of the sky is lacking due to the usage of 2D.

Story is definitely the strongest quality of the game, well-written dialogue combined with cutscenes and hearing the thoughts of BJ during missions.

Length of the game seems sufficient enough.

Boss fights are tedious as per usual in an fps game, bosses are either run between turrets to target week spots or use all your ammo.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Sniper rifle was introduced way too late in the game and when it was finally there you'll barely have any ammo for it at all throughout the rest of the game (except for when you use the laser mode but then it isn't really a sniper rifle).

You can get the marksman rifle as early as the third mission( where you have to get the old polish couple through several checkpoints)

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Just beat this on PC, I gotta say I absolutely loved it.

Many moments in this game (even in the first 10 minutes) made my jaw drop, literally. It was also gorgeous on the PC being my first id tech 5 game and ran super smooth after doing a couple tricks that I'm not sure why I had to do in the first place (like make a folder where the game could temp cache textures, why didn't it make it itself?).

The gunplay was solid, but most important for me was the story. It was like a movie, in the best way possible. Lots of action and exploration, but the story and characters were badass. Really enjoyed it.

9/10 for me, would recommend. Held my attention til the end.

Last edited: