(360/PS3) Dark Souls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The beginning was ridiculous. I mean, exiting the prison. That big monster guy is not easy to defeat. I had to use almost all of my flasks.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
The beginning was ridiculous. I mean, exiting the prison. That big monster guy is not easy to defeat. I had to use almost all of my flasks.

I think it's pretty clever, because it presents you with the exact nature of the game. Small enemies can easily be dealt with by themselves, in small groups you want to be careful, and boss monsters can be freaking brutal. This setup is indicative of the entire game. It's pattern learning and figuring out how to balance your skillset and equipment and movement against those dangers.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Expansion was made available on 360 and PS3 :)

I'll be digging into it and giving you guys the lowdown on some of the changes that rolled out with its release.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
soo... any thoughts on the DLC yet?

I haven't played to it yet on my playthrough (btw the DLC is the same content as stuff on PC), but I already went and spoiled myself with videos of it.

Basically it looks like really challenging content, like as hard (or harder) as some of the hardest stuff in the base game. It looks challenging in an awesome way, however.

There's a new arena mode you can access in the DLC to boot, so that's cool I guess.

The biggest complaint I'd make is that the DLC is rather obscured in terms of finding it. It's kind of like finding
The Painted World of Ariamis
. So, even if you don't like spoilers you might consider finding out how to actually get to the damn DLC.

The DLC is pretty nifty so far, though I've hardly scratched the surface yet. I've been grooming a new character for the DLC specifically with my brother and a friend and we made it a point not to consult any wikis on how to find it. It's true that it's obscure like the Painted World but if you're familiar with a certain area and a certain NPC's backstory then you'll know where to look. Only one word of advice;

Make sure you have the Lord Vessel first

I went in at around level 35 with my cleric and felt comfortable, though some of the enemies can hit you so hard you'll go back in time to 1955. This is probably the only game that could have forced me to put Borderlands 2 on the backburner :)

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So I forgot to mention that I picked up Dark Souls on Amazon for $21 bucks end of October(suck it steam your sale was still more expensive). The Asylum Demon gave me some issues till I did some backtracking and realized I missed a sword earlier in the level. That was a goof move on my part but felt good when I found it. Haven't played it much because of other games but I do have a question. Are these random messages on the ground game generated or were those left by random pubbies?

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
So I forgot to mention that I picked up Dark Souls on Amazon for $21 bucks end of October(suck it steam your sale was still more expensive). The Asylum Demon gave me some issues till I did some backtracking and realized I missed a sword earlier in the level. That was a goof move on my part but felt good when I found it. Haven't played it much because of other games but I do have a question. Are these random messages on the ground game generated or were those left by random pubbies?

human players, progress some and you can buy the orange soap stone which'll allow you to leave those messages.
Rating them positively will give the message creator free humanity. Usually when somebody tells you to do leap of faiths they're lying ;)

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com

Random messages in in the asylum are tutorial messages, not player messages. Once you leave there, it's all player generated.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Left by random pubbies once you leave the asylum. You can buy the orange soapstone (from a certain merchant) early on in the game for about 100 souls and you'll be able to leave messages as well. There is also a white soapstone that you can acquire from sunbro.