UT and Unrealscript security

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr Zero

Sep 25, 2010
UT(xxxx) servers can have scripts that run on the clients' computer. How do these games make sure that those scripts don't do anything malicious? There are even mods that run natively (ACE, let's say) and I believe it wouldn't be hard (for a skilled coder) to include malware in those, unless there are special security measures in place.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
So....?

Play on servers you trust.

Not much different from surfing the web or downloading stuff in my mind. All kinds of scripts can and do run on your system every minute that you are unaware of and while their maliciousness may be debatable, they have a greater potential to do harm....yet most people surf the web without protection (noscript, for example).

Meh.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Carbon is right on (as usual). There is an expectation of trust when you join a server but in truth you are opening a connection that can be used against you or for things you are not aware of.

I don't play servers I don't know because of this and I used to always take time to open cached mods to quickly see what they were doing. Once you know what to look for it's fairly obvious if someone is trying to steal your passwords or look outside the U folders.

Mr Zero

Sep 25, 2010
Hm nearly forgot this topic. Well, at least web browsers employ some kind of sandboxing to secure javascript and stuff (even though it doesn't always work so well). Does UT do anything to prevent malicious actions? The scripts are downloaded automatically by default so most people don't even pay attention to what is downloaded/installed. Checking scripts... ok but it's rather tedious work and most people don't know Uscript. I hope UT 4 devs focus on security...

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I've been well versed on this topic in past and checked many mods etc over at the original unreal and tried to do something against it, only to be later shunned anyway. Indeed many things are possible, including overwriting native files, corrupting configs, setting keybinds to join certain server and do automatic attacks or spam on keys like each time you hit a forward movement key it spams the server with "Fuck You" over and over. Seen those things happen so many times. Sadly, with too tightened security its easy to scapegoat some people and blame it on them and ban them from servers evenif they were just victims and didn't actually do it.
Unfortunately with global overruling security mods the later is the case, people get banned and victimized for something they took no part in.
Therefore, we made our own fixes/measures and didn't use the mass security mods/stuff or patches and it worked just well. Sadly some people have no clue and will have no clue it appears.

Last edited: