Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
I was at the Louvre passing through a corridor to the Triangles for some sunset shots, and this guy started setting up a cello, so I started taking some photos. Gave the guy a few Euro because his playing sounded great to me, and he didn't mind me snapping photos.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I shot a wedding over this week end. It was a two day wedding gig. The couple had jam packed their wedding day with so many events that there wasn't any time for any couples and bridal shots. They still wanted to get great shots of them as a couple so we sold them a photo session for just the two of them to take place the day before their wedding. It sounds strange but it worked out really well and they loved it.

The day was supposed to be sunny but the weather changed on us so it ended up raining all day. We made the best of it and shot primarily indoors. Later we spent some time outdoors in the rain. Many indoor locations didn't allow us to use flash so we had to make use of high ISO settings thus the extreme grain.

On a related note, one location which happened to be a museum (restored old house) told us "no" on the basis that no flash photography is allowed. I explained that it wouldn't be a problem as we didn't need to use flash at all. He seemed a little puzzled before telling us no photography and that it wasn't going to happen. My biz partner called him out on that one. All things considered, we should have waited till the bride, groom, and my assistant where there. Some guys cant say no to pretty girls. He seemed like one of them. haha

I think it should be noted that most of these are naturally lit. I didn't use any flash in these. There are so many excellent shots from that day. I may share some more later.

1. No flash allowed at this hotel in the lobby. There wasn't room anyways. I made the best of the situation and utilized the natural light from the window. The extreme mixture of light temperatures made the colors really unpleasant.
_MG_6360_fb.jpg

2. Same hotel but shot in the elevator door. It was very little dark so I had to use ISO 6400 1/60 sec pushed 2 stops I believe. I love the gritty grain look and fortunately so does the client.
_MG_6520_fb.jpg

3. We finally went outside in the rain and shot off a few next to these nice pillars. Apparently we got lucky that day because the manager normally chases photographers away. She openly admitted to my assistant that it had something to do with the fact that we looked professional. Funny how it worked for one business but not for some of the others we visited.
_MG_6587-3_fb.jpg

4. Another shot with the pillars. The streak marks on the umbrella are the only indication that it was raining outside. You can blame my high key editing style for that.
_MG_6612_fb.jpg

5. Later on it was getting pretty dark. (I edited with a high key look because their faces where so dark) We started walking around town trying to get some candid shots of them walking around being a cute couple. The wind picked up and blew the umbrella out of shape. Yes, it was a real moment.
_MG_6682_fb.jpg

Last edited:

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Maybe you'll think this is just ignorant, but I actually like your landscape photos better for the most part. This guy has some fabulous compositions but his colors are just so saturated as to be almost cartoony; I like the more subtle and realistic look yours have.

Nah mate, of course I don't think it's ignorant. I put the link to his pictures up because he works pretty exclusively in that area of the States and Canada, and I think he shows the area pretty well. But I agree with you about his style....I first came across his work about 3 years ago and thought it was brilliant...but it's like chocolate cake or whatever...it's great in small amounts, but too much of it and it's just too sweet that it becomes sickly.
Nowadays, I never check his work anymore because I just feel that I've seen it all before, and like you said...the saturation makes it seem surreal.
It's not helped by the fact that he's become a kind of standard for lots of landscape photographers, and now there are hundreds of photographers on flickr, Photo.net or NPN shooting the same places in the same style.

Thanks for the compliment by the way...I appreciate it.

@Jackel: Some lovely stuff you posted. The sun rays one in particular is great. Have you tried cropping the right hand side off to really highlight the rays?
Jackel said:

Lovely natural wedding shots Mike. You know I'm a big fan of natural light, and it works really well here. I love the first portrait, and the really grainy one actually looks cool. Until I read the description, I wondered if you'd added the grain deliberately because it's such a captured intimate moment, that the grain really gives it this old fashioned paparazzi look. It almost has a Cartier Bresson feel.

007MIKE said:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
This is Jeff. He is my broseph.

[screenshot]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/5903/p1000422bm.jpg[/screenshot]

We went mushroom hunting the other day.

[screenshot]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9340/p1000413t.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1453/p1000416n.jpg[/screenshot]

We got about 3 pounds of oyster mushrooms and made some kickass pasta.

[screenshot]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7739/p1000424fall.jpg[/screenshot]

Most weren't edible, though.

[screenshot]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4188/p1000432j.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/956/p1000444h.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8011/p1000454i.jpg[/screenshot]

Mastame

Dec 27, 2004
The Netherlands
Without quoting the whole thing, those 'wedding' shots are really amazing Mike. Except for the last one, the creepy face really draws all the attention. :p

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
[screenshot]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1453/p1000416n.jpg[/screenshot]

What kind of mushrooms are those and what kind? Great shots man. I don't think i've ever gone mushroom hunting. Sounds like fun.

Without quoting the whole thing, those 'wedding' shots are really amazing Mike. Except for the last one, the creepy face really draws all the attention. :p

Haha, I will have to see what I can do about the face. It is a little dark. which might be making it look extra creepy :)

5082897634_6a2b4ec56b_b.jpg

Full shot can be found here 20mb though.

Excellent panoramic. Its pretty soft at 100% but over all it looks great as a representation of where you where. Its kinda fun to look at the landscape at full size.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I want to know how to do this! Will my crappy little 40D do the trick?

Crappy? Give it to me if its that bad. :)

Yes you can do it with a 40d. From what I understand of astrophotography you first have to get out of the city and away from the atmospheric light pollution. He may have a modified camera to pick up ultraviolet and infrared light.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
What kind of mushrooms are those and what kind? Great shots man. I don't think i've ever gone mushroom hunting. Sounds like fun.

Thanks! I'm guessing you meant where was I and what kind of mushrooms? Northwest lowlands, right near the city of Vancouver. You live in Oregon, right? You could probably go poke around in some woods near your house at this time of year and find a few growing on dead fir wood almost right away. That mushroom is an orange jelly fungus, also known as "Witch's butter". You can eat them raw, although they don't really taste like anything.