Should Epic repeat the 2k3 -> 2k4 history again to save UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I don't think any amount of patching is going to fix UT3. Even if they completely revamped the game, it's time is past. The only way "UT3" will gain any popularity is a re-release. If R.Flagg has had "the line drawn in the sand" and won't be buying another Epic game, perhaps that is for the best :p I would rather lose a few current community members if it meant a much more solid and stable game release and much more interest by the gaming community.

I hope they do it. I'll buy it again. I also hope that Epic has learned one lesson: The freaking UI matters. If they had been more open about the UI in UT3, they could have had feedback and issues resolved months prior to the game's release. Apparently, though, the UI wasn't done until a couple of weeks before the demo came out :)

Very True. :D

Plus Epic could add in far more extensive community features. I think that those would keep people playing. Patches will not attract new people to the game, just help fix it for the few that still bother with this game.

UT shouldn't ever aim to be just a good multiplayer PC game, It should aim to be the best!!

One small correction - the contract was for 3 Unreal Tournament games, with Unreal Championship 2 considered as one of them.

Midway published the Unreal Anthology. I believe that counts as one of them. That would mean an end to Epic contract with Midway.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
"We've got to stop these mutha f*cking threads on this mutha f*cking game!"

Okay, now that I paraphrased SOAP, I'll say what I came here to say. At this point, bringing out anther retail release version of UT any sooner than late 2009 would be a disaster. If so many gamers were turned off so badly with UT3, why would they be bothered to purchase UT4 or whatever it will be called, if it is released within a year or so of UT3? The answer? They wouldn't buy it and that game would be an utter failure. It won't be a repeat of UT2003 and UT2004, because UT2003 seemed to have been fairing better at six months than where UT3 is currently sitting at.

Btw, I'm mostly referring to average gamers here, not UT diehards.

ds3

Feb 25, 2008
Midway published the Unreal Anthology. I believe that counts as one of them. That would mean an end to Epic contract with Midway.
Since then publishing anthologies equals to making games?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Okay, now that I paraphrased SOAP, I'll say what I came here to say. At this point, bringing out anther retail release version of UT any sooner than late 2009 would be a disaster. If so many gamers were turned off so badly with UT3, why would they be bothered to purchase UT4 or whatever it will be called, if it is released within a year or so of UT3? The answer? They wouldn't buy it and that game would be an utter failure. It won't be a repeat of UT2003 and UT2004, because UT2003 seemed to have been fairing better at six months than where UT3 is currently sitting at.
UT2003 wasn't really faring much better. The only reason it had servers to play on was because 1) it counted bots so it always appeared people were palying no matter what, and 2) demo servers showed up in the server browser (and loads of retail people played on the demo servers). Retail servers were nearly dead 6 months in, except for the rare few. Just like we have now in UT3.

People bought UT2004 18 months after UT2003 came out. Why? Because Epic showed them that the game was improved in the areas were it hurt most. Much as I've come to disagree with it being improved in all of those areas (;)), overall the game was an improvement and people bought it. It got better reviews than UT2003 and was just a better package.

If Epic did the same thing with a UT3 successor they stand a good chance of having more luck. Particularly if Midway will actually advertise the game at all for the PC this time around.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Since then publishing anthologies equals to making games?

Midway don't make games, they publish them on Epic's behalf. Epic signed a deal to publish three titles in the Unreal series. I'm not sure if the Anthology counted as part of that deal but it very well could have.

Mike Capps after all said in an interview that if UT3 failed, they might not make another one, not unless they were contractly bound to do so.

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
I'm not paying more money for exactly the same game...i wont be making that mistake again

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Midway don't make games, they publish them on Epic's behalf. Epic signed a deal to publish three titles in the Unreal series. I'm not sure if the Anthology counted as part of that deal but it very well could have.

Mike Capps after all said in an interview that if UT3 failed, they might not make another one, not unless they were contractly bound to do so.
Mark Rein said they were under contract for another UT game.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
UT2003 wasn't really faring much better. ...
As much as I remember all the complaining about UT2003 in the first months of its release, I never saw such widespread vehement hate for the game and the devs as I've seen of late concerning UT3/Epic. Across all UT-related forums I frequent (and there are quite a few) I see mostly hate for this game. And on non-UT-related forums, most say they either didn't like the demo or just aren't interested.

If Epic did the same thing with a UT3 successor they stand a good chance of having more luck. Particularly if Midway will actually advertise the game at all for the PC this time around.
Maybe. I know I'm willing to give it a chance, but I'm a diehard. Honestly, though, I think any new version released too soon will surely meet an early demise, as most will remember what turned them off to UT3. Giving it an easy 18-24 months will provide some time to pass and hopefully allow for some "wounds" to heal.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I doubt that you'd get a response from Epic regarding anything development related.
And I imagine that includes any planned patches.
My take on this is that they will have a very small team of people working on bug fixes that are still considered critical for UT3 but to all intents and purposes I'm thinking this title already has limited support.
Any extra resource will be ploughed into GOW2 or the next 'unannounced' project which may be UT4 since Midway still require x amount of contractural titles.
I imagine Epic will already be looking beyond GOW2 and another publisher for their next big thing - I'm thinking possibly a massive single player story driven experience not unlike the original Unreal.
UT3 I'm sure will be seen as a disappointment not only for the 'fans' but by Epic themselves who must feel that they fell very short of expectations - if they broke even with this project I would be surprised.
On a personal note, I think UT is at the end of it's natural lifespan and it's just not a particularly interesting game anymore.
I wouldn't want to see another version of this game unless is was something absolutely spectacular because another lack-luster UT3 release would be disastrous for the company - not necessarily financially because the R&D on pushing game tech is second to none and the company could survive simply off the licensing deals they've secured.
I'm still hopeful they will pull a rabbit out of the hat and go for broke on a massive single player title though.

Lruce

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Lruce is right on the money.

Since UT3 wasn't much of a commercial success yet Epic still owes Midway another UT game (or two?) then I imagine they'll probably base it on UT3 to keep development expenses as low as possible. It's what makes the most sense and it's also what I personally hope they will do because it will result in a better, more polished game and the community base will not be split up again.

The possibility of another UT as a massive singleplayer game? Now that's intriguing, although very unlikely because of the cost.

Last edited:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
I want a game with MORE MAPS.

And more goddam* materials to work with in the editor! Everything that I see in the "new" Unreal Editor is packaged with the same old future-tech-and-some-chinese-drab-and-a-few-nature-materials.

Seriously... That's all I see. I expected more for my $49.99

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
And for the love of God, I hope they turn down the amount of bloom and post processing effects. These look great, when used sparingly and effectively - not everywhere and at every possible opportunity. Everything in this game glows for some reason.

I'd prefer crystal clarity and natural looking effects, where its easy to tell opponent from background etc

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
Absolutely yes, but only if they do it right (lots of hype, good PR, and boatloads of polish).

On a semi-related note, can someone from Epic tell me how complex something like the new Ambient Occlusion filter is? Is it something that can be patched into UT3 or will we have to wait to use it? Does it require a new version of the same map or does it just get added on top?

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
They can keep the eye candy, movement and weapons as it is if they just fix the wall dodge and turn gravity to the same level as it was in 2k4. Everything else needs an overhaul, and imo they should expand WAR into the conquest mode they talked about 2 years ago and introduce ONS 2.0 as its own game type (as it was planned from the beginning).

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Just curious, whats wrong with the wall dodge?
Well nothing is broken with it actually, but as it works in UT3 it keeps the up/down momentum. In 2k4 the vector changed (bah I'm crap at explaining, try it and u'll see). You could use wall dodge to decrease fall damage in 2k4 among other things, and the UT3 wall dodge is way too ping dependent for a online fps.