Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

Neon_Dragon

Proud Download Addict
Feb 26, 2006
I think there from the Unreal Retexturing Project, but they do replace some textures in the game not all of them, but the ones that are replaced are Uber nice.
I think I might have a dig around at the game shops see if I can find UT, or have a look online.
Thanks for the help.

Mike

Dec 28, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
Quick question, for the S3Fix thing do I only need to remove the skins specified (as suggested) and none of the other ones (e.g. ones I've got of the various servers I've gone on?). Maybe you could just make it a tiny bit clearer in the post.

Anyway, thanks for all your help - my lag is now right down and it really has upped my playing 'skillz'.

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
Mike said:
Quick question, for the S3Fix thing do I only need to remove the skins specified (as suggested) and none of the other ones (e.g. ones I've got of the various servers I've gone on?). Maybe you could just make it a tiny bit clearer in the post.

Only the skins mentioned. I fixed that section a little. I hope it is more clear now. :)

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Hmmmmm?

I'm very curious here. You mention that the sites that have hosted the 2nd CD textures have all shut down but it sounds like you are speculating somewhat that they went down due to legal issues.

Based on the fact that no official updates have come to pass in years now for UT and the fact that nothing but good could come from people enjoying UT more than usual and spreading the word, I'm tempted to host the textures from the 2nd CD for the S3TC option of the game which as mentioned earlier should only be benificial to those who actually own a copy of the game.

My original CD 1 is cracked and no good but the 2nd CD is perfect still. What exact legal action has been taken against people sharing these particular textures? Don't speculate. Tell me what you know for sure.

Until then, here is the best set of instructions for using the S3TC textures from the 2nd CD. I made these myself and I still have a 100% record of happy direction followers with this set of instructions. Here is a link to the thread that has what you want not including the actual textures:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=169643

All I can say at this point is to follow the directions perfectly and you will enjoy your S3TC Textures (2nd CD Textures, High Resolution Textures) on the first try!

There is also a how to manual on my forum at www.Hermskii.com. It will answer many of your tweaking questions there and has a downloadable manual. I have not updated this S3TC section that I give you here (link above) yet to my manual. Maybe I'll do that now...

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I still have the torrent and it's still on Clan Smiley's Tracker. There's just nobody else seeding it.

As I've restated, IF YOU ARE GOING TO DOWNLOAD THESE, PLEASE HELP ME SEED THEM. Otherwise, there's no point in doing it.

I'll leave my connection open, but keep in mind, I can't keep this computer on all the time - it goes down sometimes (Though I do leave it on 24/7.)

If it's down and you really want them, either get a hold of me on our IRC channels or some sort of IM service - I'm usually never too far away.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hi, sorry to hear the torrent isn't doing well. I suggest uploading the torrent file to some big sites. Btw, I'm using some of the settings suggested in this thread for an upcoming movie ;) .

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Sure

No problem MadScientist327. It will be good (the link) until I hear something bad from some big-wig somewhere but I doubt that will happen being they give the textures away for free in bonus packs and every texture in the world is available somewhere on the internet already.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I have a question on the MaxAnisotropy command. I have AF forced at 4X in my ATI control panel for OpenGL with S3TC textures in UT, but am now confused as to what to set this command to. I had it at 1 and now I'm thinking 4 would be better.

The UT2004 equivalent command is LevelOfAnisotropy and, apparently, I need to leave this at 1 to get 4X AF in UT2004 because the ATI control panel setting (for D3D this time) and this command are additive (or multiplicative if you like) and if 4X in ATI CP and 4 in UT2004.ini, then the level played in UT2004 is 16.

I'm just wondering if it's the same for UT or it's fine to set MaxAnisotropy to 4 in my case because the commands are not multiplicative for UT.

Last edited: